Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member - shopping for used MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joined the forum today.

I'm in So Cal, and shopping nationwide for an MX for under $68K, with AP2 hardware.

I've searched but can't find answers to my questions:

How can tell if an MX has AP2?
  • Through the VIN?
  • Through photos?
  • Is there a specific build date where all later MXs have AP2 hardware?
If it does have the hardware, but hasn't been activated, how much is the upgrade fee to activate it?

I'm in So Cal, and shopping nationwide for an MX for under $68K, with AP2 hardware.

• Through the VIN?
  • Through photos?
If it does have the hardware, but hasn't been activated, how much is the upgrade fee to activate it?
I don’t know the exact answers to all your questions. I think Aug 2017 is around AP2 time. Not totally sure though.

I was just going to recommend CPO. Through Tesla’s website. Although I will say I don’t know that you’ll find a 2017 for that price. The lowest I’ve seen is $65k. That was for a 2016, 5 seater, with cloth.

• Through the VIN?
  • Through photos?

There's a MX60D with AP2 Hardware on ebay for that exact price.

Visually is the easiest way to tell if a car has AP2. Look for the black camera on the sidemarker. On AP1, it'll be a flat sidemarker and typically all silver.

s-l1600.jpg

For additional confirmation; look for a circular shape on the B pillar; that's where the side camera is.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: MXWing
There's a MX60D with AP2 Hardware on ebay for that exact price.

Visually is the easiest way to tell if a car has AP2. Look for the black camera on the sidemarker. On AP1, it'll be a flat sidemarker and typically all silver.

s-l1600.jpg

For additional confirmation; look for a circular shape on the B pillar; that's where the side camera is.
s-l1600.jpg

That is the perfect way to tell aside from papers.
Side note:
Only performance models come with red brake calipers

By the time you pay 5k for autopilot, 3k to upgrade to 75, the car is 76k or something. A new 5 seater is like 88k, take 7500 off and you are basically getting a 5k discount off new. This is dumb

I didn't know if it was worth it, I just know it's rare due to AP2 + transferable FUSC.

After doing the math, it's a pass.

Though it has one interesting thing going for it -

It has AP1 running on AP2 hardware!