Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member wants a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw. I'm selling to buy another Tesla.
Thanks Mike. What options does yours have. I'm about 30 days out I think.

See the attarched window sticker.
099BD86D-4097-4F0A-B62D-6ACE011CEBDD.JPG

I had autopilot for a week in the 70d rental, it was cool yes but you have to touch the steering wheel about every 30 seconds. unless it's AP2 with 8 cameras and fully taking over its not worth the extra money for AP1.
I'm not sure how or where you were using AP, but I use it on my daily commute, divided road with bumper to bumper traffic in most sections. My commute is roughly 19 miles one way and most days I get the nag once, maybe twice, the entire trip.

To the OP, my first Tesla was in 2013, a 60. It is an incredible car, and the TMC member who now owns her enjoys her just as much as I did. I sold her in the low 40's. She had air suspension, tech pkg, pano roof, leather interior. Basically every option at the time except rear facing seats. I'd say you definitely want tech pkg in an older S, anything else is just personal preference, although I would never get one without the pano!

Last edited:
You are not going to get a CPO with AP with that budget, so focus on what else you want. Be aware of insurance cost, tax and registration, outlet install cost and 'essentials' like mats (Tesla's factory ones are embarassing), trunk and funk lights (search for Abstract Ocean) and possibly tint and paint protection. Point is that lot can push your budget if 50K is your real limit. Private sale with extended is a good option, though introduces a deductible that the CPO warranty does not have.

Feel free to PM, got my 2015 CPO at end of November.

Good point: The outlet install cost? Is that if I want to upgrade the charger for home use?

So I picked up a 2013 CPO P85+ in the Summer with about 90% of the options available back in 2013 (typical of P85+s as most were fairly loaded). Another local "to be" owner and I PM'd back and forth and he got a 60 for several thousand less. Honestly, between the two cars it comes back to what it always comes back to with EVs right now: range. If you want to take the car out of DFW to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, up to Oklahoma, etc. you are really going to want that extra range (it's a big friggin' state!) - especially if you travel more during the cooler months. Yes, a 60 can "get you" to the Superchargers, but the middling state of destination charging means you may want that extra juice upon arrival, etc. If you are not interested in out of town travel, then a 60 can be an absolute steal and is probably the best deal for the money by far. I mean driving down the road in traffic at 60 mph in a new P100DL and a 2013 Model S 60 are way more similar than different.

As to options, that is mostly personal preference and "nice to haves". If I could have only one different option in my 2013 that was available later it wouldn't be autopilot...it would be the next gen seats. I have gotten used to my gen 1 seats, but it took a while for them to "break me in". The one option I have that I would not do w/o is the red multicoat (I am BIG on getting the exact color you love) followed by leather seats and tech package (the latter more for the power liftgate than anything). Pano roof, UHFS, carbon fiber spoiler, carbon fiber interior trim, 21" rims, etc. (all of which I have) are nice but hardly critical to the experience and in some cases can make it worse (i.e. more noise from pano and larger tires, etc.). Oh, I did forget...I do like the power of the "P" model of course and as a "car guy" I knew I would end up with that, but again, personal preference.

Good point: The outlet install cost? Is that if I want to upgrade the charger for home use?

Unless you already have a charging setup at home, you will need to install something. You cannot get by with a "normal" 5-15 or 5-20 socket. The cheapest option is to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. This will run from $300 to $800 depending on where you want it, where your panel is, etc.

@Manzacoty's car has dual chargers, which means you can charge up to 80 amps. To fully utilize this you'll need 100 amps of capacity and a Tesla wall charger ($500 plus install).

Unless you already have a charging setup at home, you will need to install something. You cannot get by with a "normal" 5-15 or 5-20 socket. The cheapest option is to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage. This will run from $300 to $800 depending on where you want it, where your panel is, etc.

@Manzacoty's car has dual chargers, which means you can charge up to 80 amps. To fully utilize this you'll need 100 amps of capacity and a Tesla wall charger ($500 plus install).

True. I have dual chargers but didn't realize it until after I bought the car. Stupid I know. I only wired with 6 gauge wire to a 14-50. Obviously I should have gone 3 gauge so I could get a HPWC. I have a 50 mile commute so charging hasn't been an issue but sure would be nice to have if I ever needed it! No SC close to Dfw right now.

To add to the install cost. If you're the least bit handy it's very easy to install yourself. My total cost for a 50' run was $140. Wire, plug, breaker and conduit.

As I mentioned above, I should have run 3-3-3-5 wire which would cost around $300 for the wire alone.

I have dual chargers as well and even bought the HPWC (gen 2 no less). It sits brand new in the box as both my panel and subpanel are already overloaded and I'd need a new sub-panel which pushes the install cost way up. Beyond that...I work from home and basically it's all overkill. I am using the outlet I had installed when I got my Volt in 2012 and just the mobile charger which works well (except for the giant extension cord draped over the floor of the garage).

I should probably just sell the HPWC at this point.

I have dual chargers as well and even bought the HPWC (gen 2 no less). It sits brand new in the box as both my panel and subpanel are already overloaded and I'd need a new sub-panel which pushes the install cost way up. Beyond that...I work from home and basically it's all overkill. I am using the outlet I had installed when I got my Volt in 2012 and just the mobile charger which works well (except for the giant extension cord draped over the floor of the garage).

I should probably just sell the HPWC at this point.
I might be interested! Please reach out if you decide to sell!

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
So I picked up a 2013 CPO P85+ in the Summer with about 90% of the options available back in 2013 (typical of P85+s as most were fairly loaded). Another local "to be" owner and I PM'd back and forth and he got a 60 for several thousand less. Honestly, between the two cars it comes back to what it always comes back to with EVs right now: range. If you want to take the car out of DFW to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, up to Oklahoma, etc. you are really going to want that extra range (it's a big friggin' state!) - especially if you travel more during the cooler months. Yes, a 60 can "get you" to the Superchargers, but the middling state of destination charging means you may want that extra juice upon arrival, etc. If you are not interested in out of town travel, then a 60 can be an absolute steal and is probably the best deal for the money by far. I mean driving down the road in traffic at 60 mph in a new P100DL and a 2013 Model S 60 are way more similar than different.

As to options, that is mostly personal preference and "nice to haves". If I could have only one different option in my 2013 that was available later it wouldn't be autopilot...it would be the next gen seats. I have gotten used to my gen 1 seats, but it took a while for them to "break me in". The one option I have that I would not do w/o is the red multicoat (I am BIG on getting the exact color you love) followed by leather seats and tech package (the latter more for the power liftgate than anything). Pano roof, UHFS, carbon fiber spoiler, carbon fiber interior trim, 21" rims, etc. (all of which I have) are nice but hardly critical to the experience and in some cases can make it worse (i.e. more noise from pano and larger tires, etc.). Oh, I did forget...I do like the power of the "P" model of course and as a "car guy" I knew I would end up with that, but again, personal preference.
All good advice. Thanks. What is the difference in the seats. ill go search that out

True. I have dual chargers but didn't realize it until after I bought the car. Stupid I know. I only wired with 6 gauge wire to a 14-50. Obviously I should have gone 3 gauge so I could get a HPWC. I have a 50 mile commute so charging hasn't been an issue but sure would be nice to have if I ever needed it! No SC close to Dfw right now.

My commute is about the same. I just have a 14-50, and it has been all I need. Like @cab, it would take several thousand dollars of electrical work on my house to add the 100 amps of capacity for a dual charger car.

All good advice. Thanks. What is the difference in the seats. ill go search that out

There should be a bunch of threads on here with pics etc. Essentially, I think they introduced the next gen (aka gen 2) seats some time in late 2014 I believe. They are softer but also more heavily bolstered (although not "race seat hard" bolsters). If you are a tubby, some folks find them a bit constricting. Still, the softness is likely their biggest improvement. There is a "mod" that Tesla does to the driver's side seat bottom on gen 1 seats where they cut a spring to to allow for a bit more give. Cloth (aka textile) seats are always gen 1 style.

As an aside, there is now yet another seat option for new Model Ses - the premium seats which are, I think, essentially the super soft Model X seats.

So, you are likely stuck with gen 1 seats unless you can pony up for a late 2014 model (tougher to do at your price point). It would be nice if you could at least find a local owner to try them out. They aren't horrible by any means and I find I am only bothered by them now on longer road trips. I am in the Grapevine are which may not be local for you of course.

This should help:

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

2014 Interior The introduction of new softer and more comfortable lower front seat cushions was introduced in the early July 2014 time frame. These new seats are generally referred to as the Gen 1.5 seats.

2014 Interior The Next Gen (Recaro OEM) seating option was first available in the P85D model, in late 2014 as an exclusive part of the P85D. The Next Gen driver’s seat does not have the “hidden” front pocket that the Performance Seats had. The Next Gen seats have comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection and also sport much larger bolsters between the seating areas. However unanticipated popularity and demand of this option caused many P85D's to be shipped without the Next Gen seats being installed at all or partial installs with rear seats being of the previous design. Tesla will retrofit the new seats at a later date as they become available. The P85+ Performance Seats with the red piping and alcantara panels were removed from availability at the same time the Next Gen seats were introduced.

There should be a bunch of threads on here with pics etc. Essentially, I think they introduced the next gen (aka gen 2) seats some time in late 2014 I believe. They are softer but also more heavily bolstered (although not "race seat hard" bolsters). If you are a tubby, some folks find them a bit constricting. Still, the softness is likely their biggest improvement. There is a "mod" that Tesla does to the driver's side seat bottom on gen 1 seats where they cut a spring to to allow for a bit more give. Cloth (aka textile) seats are always gen 1 style.

As an aside, there is now yet another seat option for new Model Ses - the premium seats which are, I think, essentially the super soft Model X seats.

So, you are likely stuck with gen 1 seats unless you can pony up for a late 2014 model (tougher to do at your price point). It would be nice if you could at least find a local owner to try them out. They aren't horrible by any means and I find I am only bothered by them now on longer road trips. I am in the Grapevine are which may not be local for you of course.

I actually work in Irving right down from Grapevine off 114/Mcarthur..

Reactions: RScottyL