Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mexico Law Prohibits Tesla Stores and Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the Bill has failed again. There is a Tesla operation for solar and batteries in Albuquerque now. It is on the west side and the Field Energy consultant I spoke to says it is on the west side not far from I-40. They currently don't deal with autos, but it seems like ir would be a good place for a service center.

I had my annual service on my X100 today and it was done in the service tech's home garage and the Goodyear shop in Rio Rancho. The service tech told me he has been transferred to Albuquerque from El Paso and Telsa is setting up a way to do service in the area. He apparently has a shop in his house where he did the fluid replacement items.

I also had a maintenance repair that I had reported to Tesla service so the tech could do it during the service, but apparently communications between the local guy and California is not so good, as he had heard nothing about the problem. In any case he ordered the part required and it will be here in a week at which time he will install it.

We'll see how this goes.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I also had a maintenance repair that I had reported to Tesla service so the tech could do it during the service, but apparently communications between the local guy and California is not so good, as he had heard nothing about the problem. In any case he ordered the part required and it will be here in a week at which time he will install it.
So after two and one half weeks of complete silence on Tesla's part the local technician texted me that the part had arrived and that he wanted to come to the house to replace it. He's a great kid and told me he was sorry that he wasn't able to find out anything more that I could about the missing part, but that it arrived unexpectedly at his location. I and apparently he had "escalated" the repair in the system so who knows maybe that helped. I had emailed with a customer service rep. twice and both times she promised to "get right back to me"...never did.
In any case it's fixed and working again.

NM state sales tax is 5.125%, with local taxes boosting this to as much as 9+% in some counties. However, car sales, new or used, are taxed at 3% (with no local add-ons). Title fees are minimal. On the title, you have to indicate the number of cylinders that are in your car.... I pay about $100 every two years for registration for my 2014 P85, which I do online.

Tesla would deliver my Model 3 to my door in Santa Fe but would use a third party trucking company to do it. I chose to fly to Denver and pick it up there and get the full delivery experience directly. Flights from ABQ were $45 per person. Tesla will pay for an Uber/Lyft from the airport to bring you to the Denver "dealership" in Littleton. The drive back to Santa Fe was an easy one.

Hopefully New Mexico gets its head out of its <$$ and allows Tesla to do business here.

PS the Trinidad Supercharger has a decent Mexican restaurant called Tequila across a long parking lot.

Reactions: reddy
Now that the midterms are over and big oil-loving Susana Martinez is leaving office we need to get organized and push for change in New Mexico. We need to have our cars serviced here. There are Model 3’s everywhere now!

Please keep pushing on this. ABQ would be the closest service center for Amarillo, Lubbock, and other cities in West Texas. It is far easier to make it to ABQ than Dallas from here.

Plus, I enjoy visiting ABQ. I love having to choose between red, and green.

Reactions: Grendal
I mentioned Warren Buffet's recent statement shrugging off the impact on the traditional dealer model (his company owns quite a few dealerships).
Consider sending a group to Omaha the first weekend in May for Berkshire Hathaway's annual shareholders meeting, and plan a little protest against BRK's auto dealers that are likely lobbying against Tesla entering their turf (what Warren Buffett calls his "moat"). The only thing Uncle Warren loves more than money is being viewed as the fair and decent guy who is for the little guy. When Native American tribes wanted to regain their salmon fishing in the Pacific Northwest, they successfully protested at BRK's annual meeting in Omaha to have PacifiCorp (subsidiary of BRK Energy) shut down and remove their hydro dams. Mr. Buffett noticed and actually allowed the to speak to all shareholders in year two (after the Native Americans protests caught shareholders' attention the first year).

When BRK bought 10% of BYD (China's huge EV car manufacturer that promised to bring its EVs to the USA back in 2008 & 2009, with a booth inside BRK's annual meeting at the Qwest Center), Tesla was brilliant and had their Denver office bring two Roadsters to Omaha for shareholders to do free test drives on BRK shareholder weekend in May. That's when I fell in love with Tesla and knew Elon's future was bright and real. BYD made its EVs ugly and slow; Tesla made them beautiful, sexy, fun and fast. And a lot of rich BRK shareholders notice these outside forces at the annual May meetings that are attended by 40,000!

Reactions: mociaf9
Consider sending a group to Omaha the first weekend in May for Berkshire Hathaway's annual shareholders meeting, and plan a little protest against BRK's auto dealers that are likely lobbying against Tesla entering their turf (what Warren Buffett calls his "moat").
If anyone actually considers doing this, please be sure to be able to cite specific locations and actions. According to Berkshire Automotive's website, in New Mexico, it only owns Reliable Nissan in Albuquerque. Be sure to find out whether they are a member of the local/state Auto Dealer's Assn. and then be able to cite specific actions and lobbying by that group against Tesla being allowed into the state. If you're not limiting yourselves to New Mexico, then the same holds for their dealerships in other states. Don't protest the amorphous Evil ICEV Dealerships blocking your lovely EVs, that's how you get brushed off as just Conspira-cranks or Enviro-nuts. Also be prepared to argue why EVs specifically may be a bad fit for the dealership model and then be able to transition to BYD considering a direct-sales model if/when they come to the US. Since Berkshire apparently owns a piece of BYD, this is potentially of interest to their future earnings as well.

Reactions: GoCanes
I emailed NM Senator Gerold Ortiz y Pino again about this law that prohibits Tesla from having a Sales/Service center (dealership) in NM. This is part of his reply (cut & paste) from the email:
"I think the time has come to try again: new Governor, newer emphasis on electric vehicles. But I haven't heard from the Tesla company lobbyists if they are going to make that effort. Many legislators who opposed this in the past are now willing to vote for it. I urge you to contact the Tesla company and recommend they return to New Mexico to renew the effort. I would gladly help in this regard and I am sure Senator Tallman, a Tesla owner himself, is keen to work on it as well."
That sounds positive to me but the question I have is who do we contact at Tesla? I contacted Tesla via their website but I think that leads to no where. Never heard any response.

I emailed NM Senator Gerold Ortiz y Pino again about this law that prohibits Tesla from having a Sales/Service center (dealership) in NM. This is part of his reply (cut & paste) from the email:
"I think the time has come to try again: new Governor, newer emphasis on electric vehicles. But I haven't heard from the Tesla company lobbyists if they are going to make that effort. Many legislators who opposed this in the past are now willing to vote for it. I urge you to contact the Tesla company and recommend they return to New Mexico to renew the effort. I would gladly help in this regard and I am sure Senator Tallman, a Tesla owner himself, is keen to work on it as well."
That sounds positive to me but the question I have is who do we contact at Tesla? I contacted Tesla via their website but I think that leads to no where. Never heard any response.

Join the 'Tesla Club of NM' on meetup and email the founder Brian.

I was involved in the last attempt but the local car dealers bought a couple of key committee members and the local lobbyist paid for by Tesla was an expensive blow-hard who peddled his hispanic connections but had little to offer. After the failure, the very good Tesla lawyer was reassigned by Tesla to something else.

All the best, but keep your expectations in check.

Last edited:
New Mexico is finally getting its first Tesla service center - on tribal land.

Glad to see this. I'd wondered if they could set up a service center on tribal land to avoid NM's laws. Looks like we have an answer!

• Love
Reactions: Brando

I notice that it very specifically calls it a "Showroom" and not a sales or service center. Based on that message, I wouldn't expect them to be doing any vehicle servicing there.

I notice that it very specifically calls it a "Showroom" and not a sales or service center. Based on that message, I wouldn't expect them to be doing any vehicle servicing there.

That's a fair read, but wouldn't Tesla want to have a service center somewhere in NM rather than relying exclusively on mobile service in the state? Maybe service will be added later? Or maybe they're hoping to use this site as leverage to get the law changed to eventually be able to open a service center elsewhere in NM?