Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Michigan Bill Lets Tesla Stay, Keeps Others Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timf

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
As a reservation holder, I received an email from Rivian today informing me about new legislation going through the Michigan House of Representatives. This is House Bill 6233.

At first it sounded like it was just trying to close all the loopholes that Tesla used in their settlement with the state. However, once I got to the bottom I found that it added an exception specifically for those parties involved in the Tesla lawsuit, or in other words just Tesla. It would put into law the settlement with the terms as agreed to (can carry on sales and service activities, but vehicles must be titled out of state first).

The bigger implication though is all new entrants into the EV marketplace such as Rivian would be expressly prevented from carrying out the same activities. This bill does not improve the status quo for anyone, and makes it worse for anyone not named Tesla. As Tesla owners it may not be of much concern, but if you're considering any future EV from a manufacturer other than Tesla, we need to speak up to prevent further restrictions on sales and service in Michigan.

As a reservation holder, I received an email from Rivian today informing me about new legislation going through the Michigan House of Representatives. This is House Bill 6233.

At first it sounded like it was just trying to close all the loopholes that Tesla used in their settlement with the state. However, once I got to the bottom I found that it added an exception specifically for those parties involved in the Tesla lawsuit, or in other words just Tesla. It would put into law the settlement with the terms as agreed to (can carry on sales and service activities, but vehicles must be titled out of state first).

The bigger implication though is all new entrants into the EV marketplace such as Rivian would be expressly prevented from carrying out the same activities. This bill does not improve the status quo for anyone, and makes it worse for anyone not named Tesla. As Tesla owners it may not be of much concern, but if you're considering any future EV from a manufacturer other than Tesla, we need to speak up to prevent further restrictions on sales and service in Michigan.

Same thing happened here in Indiana. Tesla Ok, but nobody else allowed. BTW, this was not Tesla’s choice, rather the legislature is dominated by auto dealers, that seem to fear unsupported Chinese junk being dumped. Encouraged of course, by the traditional manufacturers, particularly General Motors.