Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Michigan Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard a rumor that Tesla is putting a hold on opening any new Michigan SC’s this year. Does anyone else have info on this?

When I was charging in Gaylord on Friday I spoke with one of the Escanaba locals who told me that Tesla was facing a shortage of electricians up there to do the work at the moment. Nothing has started at the Meijer there yet either.

But in general, it seems like they've slowed down their deployments all over the country, not just Michigan. Perhaps this is part of their push for profitability. I would like to know more as well.

Curious to know that status of proposed Mackinac City SC?

That's probably one of the ones on hold. i was just there on Friday and certainly did not see any activity going on anywhere that looked like a Supercharger. There are three Destination chargers that were recently installed there though (right at the Marina parking lot). They are on the slower side though as I was only getting 20 miles of range per hour from the 32 amps I was being given. So maybe good if you're going over to the Island for the day, but not the greatest if you're trying to continue on into the UP.

When I was charging in Gaylord on Friday I spoke with one of the Escanaba locals who told me that Tesla was facing a shortage of electricians up there to do the work at the moment. Nothing has started at the Meijer there yet either.

But in general, it seems like they've slowed down their deployments all over the country, not just Michigan. Perhaps this is part of their push for profitability. I would like to know more as well.

That's probably one of the ones on hold. i was just there on Friday and certainly did not see any activity going on anywhere that looked like a Supercharger. There are three Destination chargers that were recently installed there though (right at the Marina parking lot). They are on the slower side though as I was only getting 20 miles of range per hour from the 32 amps I was being given. So maybe good if you're going over to the Island for the day, but not the greatest if you're trying to continue on into the UP.

In Mackinac city, you can check in at Star ferry lines. they have an outlet that will give you 29 miles of range per charging hour using your portable charger. I know they are also are working on installing a couple of
HPWC's.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and IT Geek
In Mackinac city, you can check in at Star ferry lines. they have an outlet that will give you 29 miles of range per charging hour using your portable charger. I know they are also are working on installing a couple of
HPWC's.

Actually, Star Line has two 40 AMP HPWCs installed (they were installed on Wednesday). I'm the first to use them (I'm on Mackinac Island today :)

Attachments

• IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 87
Sheplers ferry garage parking has two 10-50 outlets. I have used my 10-50 to 14-50 adapter and charged at 40 Amps. They also have 120 V outlets that have worked fine for me at 12 A, fully charging my S while I spend two days on the island.

Now with Star Line and the marina parking lots also having 240 V charging, there are plenty of options for destination charging. Now, all we need are Superchargers to allow a quick charge while passing through.

GSP