Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Midnight Silver Metallic touch up paint not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to order touch up paint and it looks like it isn't available with no eta. I also see the store lists it as new Midnight Silver Metallic (New Metallic Grey - PMNG). Looks like they are changing the name too?

Anyone who has this color able to get touch up paint?

I was told by my SC that Tesla was having problems developing a formula that could be stored for long periods of time. They directed me to a certified automotive paint shop that would be able to mix up the paint and fill in a gash that took some paint off my passenger side. I haven't done this yet, but eventually I will. Also, I was pretty wary of using an auto shop to mix up some paint and touch it up, but the SC assured me the shop knows what they're doing and other owners have done this. I'm in NJ, so I'm unsure of what is available in Florida, but it's worth a try to ask your SC about it.

Unfortunately, others have reported similar issues not being able to get touch up paint for some colors from Tesla. That just seems ridiculous.

Anyway, if the body shop route does not work, there are a couple of places online that will custom mix the color for you. Let your fingers do the walking, or one place I used a few years back was PaintWorld (sorry, have not used them in a while, but service was good 3-4 years ago). It looks like they have many of the Tesla colors as of 2014, but not your newer Midnight Silver... call them (# at bottom of their website) and see if they can mix it.

Unfortunately, others have reported similar issues not being able to get touch up paint for some colors from Tesla. That just seems ridiculous.

Anyway, if the body shop route does not work, there are a couple of places online that will custom mix the color for you. Let your fingers do the walking, or one place I used a few years back was PaintWorld (sorry, have not used them in a while, but service was good 3-4 years ago). It looks like they have many of the Tesla colors as of 2014, but not your newer Midnight Silver... call them (# at bottom of their website) and see if they can mix it.
Dr. Colorchip mixed some deep blue metallic for me and it was spot on. So if they can do it, don't understand why Tesla can't.

Did you ask at your service center?? Titanium Metallic isn't available online either. I stopped by the service center for what I thought was a very small scratch in my roof (non-pano), but it ended up being a very fine piece of grey plastic. I think it was a very small piece of the protective covering that the car is shipped in. Anyway, when I was there, I inquired about touch-up paint and they said they would be able to look into it. Since it didn't end up being a scratch, I forgot to follow up about the paint. But I'm sure they would be able to get it at the service center.

Hi--I have noticed the unavailability of this color as well. What p*sses me off is why doesn't HQ just come out & say why they don't have it instead of "Not Available"? To the unknowing of paint chemistry (me), it seems inconceivable that TUP would not be available. Thank you for your update & making me "smarter".

I was told by my SC that Tesla was having problems developing a formula that could be stored for long periods of time. They directed me to a certified automotive paint shop that would be able to mix up the paint and fill in a gash that took some paint off my passenger side. I haven't done this yet, but eventually I will. Also, I was pretty wary of using an auto shop to mix up some paint and touch it up, but the SC assured me the shop knows what they're doing and other owners have done this. I'm in NJ, so I'm unsure of what is available in Florida, but it's worth a try to ask your SC about it.

Same response from my SC. I don't want to go to a body shop and risk the paint not being spot on which with my luck will happen. It's perplexing that a basic item like touch up paint is a problem to obtain. Interesting info you were told on the formula...