Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New mobile google maps/nav: are we stuck in the past?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, google has announced a new version of Google Maps for mobile devices. It has a couple of interesting features like rerouting due to changing conditions and trouble reports (that are tappable for more info). Are we ever going to see these improvements? Not wanting to be negative but I'm not holding my breath.

If it were any other car manufacturer I'd bet that'd we'd never get an update. With Tesla I'd bet that we'll eventually get an update.

I hope you guys are right. The nav improvements look really good. On a pessimistic note though, it doesn't appear that nav uses traffic conditions to estimate travel time so they aren't even current with older versions. Sigh...

The Model S doesn't use Google Maps for routing or navigation (it uses Navigon) so the updates to navigation portion for Google maps won't have an inpact. If Navigon on the other hand updates its routing features to integrate traffic information then we will want that update.

+1000 to that! There's way too much good stuff going on to not support 3rd parties. Lots and lots of issues to deal with but a great company won't let that stand in it's way.

It's really difficult to allow third-party software that can do anything cool without introducing the possibility for malware. No one wants a malicious program bricking their car so I suspect it might be a while before Tesla publishes an API and hosts a vehicle app store.

It's really difficult to allow third-party software that can do anything cool without introducing the possibility for malware. No one wants a malicious program bricking their car so I suspect it might be a while before Tesla publishes an API and hosts a vehicle app store.

True dat. However, allowing a selected small number of known, reputable outfits is a baby step. There will never be a huge market for tesla apps but some small, focused companies might be able to make a profit.

A remote interface of my phone on the touch screen would unleash so much more potential than we'll ever actually see from in-house development or even "selected 3rd party" development. Tesla has done a great job of trying to push the limits compared to what any other car company is doing for built-in tech features. That said, it's still miles away from what everyone wants.

Let's face it, my phone has a newer version of google maps with newer features than my car. For that matter, it also has a newer version of navigon too. That's not even touching things like waze or a myrid other apps that will never be ported over to tesla specific versions.

I'm not even talking about all the really cool stuff that would be possible if an app could communicate with the car, I'm just talking about things the phone can do all by itself right now. Just mirror the phone/tablet screen onto the 17" screen (or even half of it) and you've increased the usefulness of it by a couple orders of magnatude. If you could relay touch events back to the device as well, you'll have redefined the dashboard as surely as tesla is challenging ICE vehicles. (yes, I realize that part is non-trivial.) Run the whole thing in a sandbox with no communication to the actual vehicle systems, and the worst malware is going to do is make you replace your phone.

And then all the tesla software folks can focus on car-specific features and not spend time making mash-ups of old versions of navigon and google maps.

... and then everyone lived happily ever after. the end. (sadly, it's unlikely to happen though.)