TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"new" model 3 - April build - but old springs?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by sduck, Jul 23, 2018.

1. sduck

sduck Member

I'm curious about something. Does anyone know approximately at what VIN number they changed the springs?

I recently took delivery (3 weeks ago) of a "new" April build model 3, however, it is VIN 15,11x, which is really low from what I understand. Every thing seems ok with the car - none of the usual issues. However, the ride seems perhaps a little stiff to me, so I was wondering if that is something I should bring up with tesla service before my 30 days are up.

2. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Mine is 16xxx, and have new springs, but mine built first week of May. I have new rear seats as well as new suspension.

3. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

I hope I can ride in a new spring version to see the difference. I would like to have a smother ride for sure. Even if I had to purchase the springs and do it myself.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My understanding was the old springs were just for pre-December builds, but there may have been additional revs afterwards.

My car front driver side spring went from a 1044379-03-C to a 1044379-03-E after getting the update. So you could check your spring and see if it is Rev E and then you know you have the "softer" ones.

BTW, "really low" VIN is all relative. My VIN is less than 2000. :D

• Informative x 1
  5. sduck

sduck Member

Ah - thanks! I finally got around to checking mine, and they are the 1044379-03-E ones.

6. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Is this info visible without jacking up the car? Where do I look? Thanks.

7. sduck

sduck Member

I was able to see this inside the front wheel well, at the top above the wheel - I couldn't really read it from outside, but stuck my phone in and snapped a picture -
    IMG_6193.JPG

8. Charlie_T

Charlie_T Member

I have an April 10 Model 3, VIN 10xxx. Has anyone with an earlier car checked to see which spring version they have? I there any way to check electronically in the car in some service screen or on the website? Thanks.