Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 brake issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile technician came over to fix this error for me. Brake fluid was topped up (not much though). My understanding was that this was due to the sensor (left-hand drive sensor being used on the right-hand drive vehicles?). For now, the error has disappeared.

I'm sure most people know this since its fairly common knowledge (and also in the manual which we all read right?) but just in case a quick PSA.
Dot 4 is a standard so any brake fluid that is dot 4 should be fine so long as it is a new bottle. Don't use an old bottle you have kicking around. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so absorbs moisture out of the air. If you use old brake fluid you risk not only rust in the brake system but more importantly brakes can get to greater than 100 degrees at which point the water boils and turns to steam, Gases are compressible so there goes your ability to brake.

I had the Brake warning light appear while driving on Sunday night, 5 days after collecting my new Model 3. The message told me that the brake fluid level may be low and that I should find a safe place to pull over and contact Tesla. I should have taken a photo for the exact wording, but it did sound a potentially serious issue.

I used the app to report the issue and schedule a service. I also phoned the Service Centre on the Monday and spoke to someone there, who seemed familiar with the issue and fairly relaxed about it, although they did say the message was unlikely to go away by itself.

I didn't use the car after that, but took it into the Service Centre yesterday (Thursday). In my case, the people at the Service Centre did say the brake fluid was slightly low, so it wasn't likely to be a false alarm as such. They said the issue is likely to be that there was a small air bubble somewhere in the system. It sometimes happens if they fill it up too quickly in the factory, and it can take a while for the bubbles to work their way out through use. The same can happen with the battery coolant fluid sometimes as well apparently. When the bubbles have worked their way out that can trigger the warning about the fluid level. Topping up is usually the end of it, which they did. They don't think the warning will happen again, but if it does they said they would take another look to see if there is some other issue.

By the sounds of it, there are others with this issue too, so hopefully this information is of some assistance to those.

BTW, it was my first trip to a dedicated Service Centre. Seemed reasonably well appointed, with nice coffee, some children's play things, and doors to the service bay that open automatically when you approach in your Tesla. The staff seemed knowledgeable and helpful as well.

Got an approx 800 mile road trip starting on Sunday so hopefully all well for that now.
I've read on here (or another Tesla forum) that this is fairly common as its to do with the brake fluid being a bit low for transport to the UK but should be topped up as part of their pre-delivery checks.

I have just had this issue my Model 3, 3 weeks old. The engineer has been out and topped up, informing me there was no evidence of leaks.

Apparently(!) he has seen this before and is a problem with RHD Model 3's and they require more fluid than LHD, he reckons that the factory often only put enough in for LHD!!!

I have just had this issue my Model 3, 3 weeks old. The engineer has been out and topped up, informing me there was no evidence of leaks.

Apparently(!) he has seen this before and is a problem with RHD Model 3's and they require more fluid than LHD, he reckons that the factory often only put enough in for LHD!!!

Interesting this. Brake system is the same though regardless so maybe it has to do with where the sensor is placed? Never had this one to be fair though.

The RHD low brake fluid due to 'differing line lengths between RHD & LHD cars' happened to me when I collected my car in August 2019 and was common problem with these early UK deliveries (I remedied via the topup with halfords dot 4 route).

As my car was one of the early RHD batches I was quite forgiving of this issue (though agree fully this should have been spotted and fixed as part of pre collection inspection).

But I'm stunned that 18 months later this nonsense is still happening and cars are being delivered to customers with this entirely avoidable and well understood problem

Reactions: Zakalwe
The RHD low brake fluid due to 'differing line lengths between RHD & LHD cars' happened to me when I collected my car in August 2019 and was common problem with these early UK deliveries (I remedied via the topup with halfords dot 4 route).

As my car was one of the early RHD batches I was quite forgiving of this issue (though agree fully this should have been spotted and fixed as part of pre collection inspection).

But I'm stunned that 18 months later this nonsense is still happening and cars are being delivered to customers with this entirely avoidable and well understood problem
100%
The braking system is a safety-critical system. There should be no errors of this type in such a system.