Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - but much poorer battery life than expected - how can I change this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the stats app take data from all tesla or just those who self report? If it's only those who self report then the average is even more skewed towards hypermiling. I would guess a lot of drivers on the other end of the bell curve like myself (I am averaging over 350wh/m) are way less likely to use the stats app.
Self-report. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the people who have Stats skew towards more efficiency, because there are lots of reasons to get the app besides checking your efficiency. I got it to check my battery health trend, and various notifications and smart settings. I suppose the app developer may have an answer for whether the users skew towards efficiency.

Does the stats app take data from all tesla or just those who self report? If it's only those who self report then the average is even more skewed towards hypermiling. I would guess a lot of drivers on the other end of the bell curve like myself (I am averaging over 350wh/m) are way less likely to use the stats app.

Wow, I don't doubt you, but that is some REALLY bad efficiency. I'm averaging 292 Wh/mi over 19k miles...and that includes winter. I drive "fast" (80%+ interstate with AP set at 80+ mph) and thoroughly enjoy regular 0.9G accelerations. Over the last ~5000 miles (spring & summer) I'm at 265 Wh/mi with the same driving style and profile.

My Kia Sedona 2007 was just filled up for a whopping 10.9 miles per gallon (all city, it does 20 mpg at 75 mph). Can't wait to swap it out with another EV. Trying to convince my wife to get a 3 LR. That said, our Leaf+ is averaging above 4 around town, and will go above 6 (180 wh/mile) if I drive carefully. I know the 3 does the same.

If you were driving around 100 mph you could burn that much power. My friend in Austin can go through 50% of her 320 rated miles in an 80 mile commute. They have an 85 mph posted limit there, but, of course, the average speed is well above 90 mph.

I have had my vehicle for a day and a half and drove 105km return. My battery life said 320km when I left but I made it home at 26km remaining or 6 percent. I had the AC on fairly briefly and my phone was charging. Is there a way I can analyze where the battery drain is happening? Thanks!

Sorry, but blame the automobile industry for this. Tesla use whatever is the range computation standard for your country, and it is misleading.
...then, when are finished blaming them, set your display to show battery percentage instead of this theoretical range. :)

When you put a destination into the on-board navigator, it does a good job of estimating your arrival battery percentage, though you may have to drive for 10 to 20 minutes before the computation settles down.

Also use this website to plan a long road trip: abetterrouteplanner.com

FWIW, over the lifetime of ownership, I have met the rated consumption on my Model X (320Wh/mi) and beat it on my Model S (293Wh/mi). Obviously weather factors in, as I don’t often run the heat, and I also live in a place where I rarely drive at high speed. But there are plenty of us who find the rated numbers reasonable for our specific conditions.

Reactions: DR61
FWIW, over the lifetime of ownership, I have met the rated consumption on my Model X (320Wh/mi) and beat it on my Model S (293Wh/mi). Obviously weather factors in, as I don’t often run the heat, and I also live in a place where I rarely drive at high speed. But there are plenty of us who find the rated numbers reasonable for our specific conditions.

That's true for the EPA range. I can achieve it around suburban Atlanta when commuting 26 miles to work.
But get on I-75 or the Florida Turnpike and I'm lucky to see 85% of that.
I have a lot of highway miles, so lifetime usage is around 260, which is higher than the 241 implied by the EPA range.

In Europe, their range estimate is a lot more optimistic than US EPA. They've recently switched to a somewhat less optimistic value, but still unrealistic and misleading.