Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 came with short charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my model 3 LR from Brent Cross yesterday and have come to charge it this afternoon and found that they have only given me a 3m charging cable.

The previous tesla my company bought at the start of the year came with a 6m cable. Unfortunately, the chargers at my workplace are across some grass from the spaces so I can't use it to charge, it just won't reach, very frustrating!

Is this something that was put in from the factory or do the delivery centre add the cable?

• Informative
Reactions: CaptainBurrito
It's pretty much pot luck. I didn't even get a cable when I got my car, due to a "nationwide shortage". Had to chase it myself several times before I got one, and it was a grey cable - not the blue one advertised. Not sure what the length of the grey one is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3m.

Have you tried speaking to Brent Cross to see if they have any longer cables?

I picked up my model 3 LR from Brent Cross yesterday and have come to charge it this afternoon and found that they have only given me a 3m charging cable.

The previous tesla my company bought at the start of the year came with a 6m cable. Unfortunately, the chargers at my workplace are across some grass from the spaces so I can't use it to charge, it just won't reach, very frustrating!

Is this something that was put in from the factory or do the delivery centre add the cable?
My supplied blue cable is 3m.
2 x Questions?
1. My 3 pin lead is too short to get to a socket unless I can manage to park very close to the house and then it is on the paintwork ( Zappi tbf sometime in June) and I wondered about using an extension lead, fitted with 3kw flex? and
2. If the blue cable is too short , ChrisSFoot, can you piggy back 2 cables to get to 6m?
Any views/comments?

1. My 3 pin lead is too short to get to a socket unless I can manage to park very close to the house and then it is on the paintwork ( Zappi tbf sometime in June) and I wondered about using an extension lead, fitted with 3kw flex? and

I've been regularly using a 15m with RCD one for well over a year. The H07RN-F cable is very flexible compared to normal DIY type cables.

I've been regularly using a 15m with RCD one for well over a year. The H07RN-F cable is very flexible compared to normal DIY type cables.
Thanks for that.

My supplied blue cable is 3m.
2 x Questions?
2. If the blue cable is too short , ChrisSFoot, can you piggy back 2 cables to get to 6m?
Any views/comments?
granny charger is only 2kw so while you will read that they should not be used with an extension lead there is no good reason. Technically you don't even need one that is particularly heavy duty. I have a 10m one and was advised that 1.5mm2 cable was fine. for longer lengths might want to consider 2.5mm2.
I ran a 2.2kw pool heater on a £10 lead from screwfix for hours at a time last summer and it was fine.
Probably the most important thing is to make sure that the socket that you plug it into is in good condition. Plugging into an old oxidised socket seems to be the thing that causes the most issues with over heating not the cables.

granny charger is only 2kw so while you will read that they should not be used with an extension lead there is no good reason. Technically you don't even need one that is particularly heavy duty. I have a 10m one and was advised that 1.5mm2 cable was fine. for longer lengths might want to consider 2.5mm2.
I ran a 2.2kw pool heater on a £10 lead from screwfix for hours at a time last summer and it was fine.
Probably the most important thing is to make sure that the socket that you plug it into is in good condition. Plugging into an old oxidised socket seems to be the thing that causes the most issues with over heating not the cables.
Thanks Jason, that is what I thought and as it is only for a few weeks I don't think I will bother buying a special one. The extn lead I intend to use is only 2m long and has a thicker cable than my other extn leads so should be ok. I can just wait for a sunny day and let the pv panels work their magic to top up.