Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - Delivered with faulty sim card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
House visit would be great. Looks like I’m off to Queanbeyan for essential car servicing. Thankfully a dotted line on a map says quarantine each side isn’t needed
As cafz said, Beard is in the ACT.

I had booked a home visit in Queanbeyan for an annoying seatbelt sensor issue about two weeks ago, but Zac at Beard said the mobile van can't go into NSW just now. While I'm not sure, it suggests that the van can go to ACT addresses.

For mine (2021 MiC LR) when it was delivered in March and had the same issue as the @Mcs3 decribes, the mobile service guy _did_ just replace the SIM card in it. He told me there were quite a few cars in that batch that had non-functioning SIM cards put in them at the factory and it wasn’t picked up before delivery, so he had a fair pile of replacement (Telstra) SIMs in a rubber-banded pile in his car for doing exactly that fix. This was in the first batch of MiC cars, so it just felt to me at the time like a “teething problem” with the new factory and new delivery centre (Chatswood in Sydney). Strange for the same thing to be still getting all the way to customers if that’s what it turns out to be. I almost hope it is a one-off problem with a suddenly failed board in @Mcs3‘s car rather than a non-functioning SIM still being able to be in the car and not tested and picked up as a possible known issue in Tesla’s delivery preparation by now.
How do I know if my Model 3 has an esim only or a regular sim or both. I bought my car from Germany and I’m taking it to Egypt and I need to change the SIM card. But Tesla service center in Germany is giving me mixed replies some say the model 3 has regular sim and can be changed and others at Tesla are telling me no it has an esim and can’t be changed

How do I know if my Model 3 has an esim only or a regular sim or both. I bought my car from Germany …

I don’t know how you can “tell”, that is somehow via the onscreen display in the car. For Australian-delivered Model 3s, a physical SIM is used and it is up behind the glovebox. I don’t know if you can see up in there from the footwell and I didn’t watch to see how the Mobile Service person took the glovebox out and replaced it to get access to the SIM in mine to change it.

Maybe see if you can find a video on the net on accessing that area, then (if it isn’t too difficult or risky) see if you can see the SIM card in your car or an empty socket where one would be (if yours is indeed using an eSIM).

I don’t know how you can “tell”, that is somehow via the onscreen display in the car. For Australian-delivered Model 3s, a physical SIM is used and it is up behind the glovebox. I don’t know if you can see up in there from the footwell and I didn’t watch to see how the Mobile Service person took the glovebox out and replaced it to get access to the SIM in mine to change it.

Maybe see if you can find a video on the net on accessing that area, then (if it isn’t too difficult or risky) see if you can see the SIM card in your car or an empty socket where one would be (if yours is indeed using an eSIM).
Thank you