Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new model 3 LR, 3 weeks ago. Love it. And when i first looked, only some scuffs on the front bumper so no problem. Booked in for service last week.
I then, before taking it in, noticed 2 panel misalignments that you can only see at a certain angle. Then 2 days before, a squeak appeared whenever i turned the wheel left slightly. Only really occurred between 10mph and 40mph. Anyway, all booked in.

Took it to Chelmsford service center. All super helpful, got a courtesy car (Model S 75d - THE INTERIOR! AHH!)
Call today. They have found the squeak cause. Apparently "a number of bolts have sheered off from the sub-frame". Wow.

I think when we buy a Tesla, unfortunately we all expect some minor panel gaps etc. We get them sorted and move on, but bolts sheered off after 200miles? Not what i was expecting.

Now there is a part shortage so they are trying to get hold of the parts required to resolve it.

With many other products, you'd say, just give them it back and get me another one. But i'm thinking if an engineer has checked it all over thoroughly, inside and out. Its probably better to have the repaired one than anything else as at least then I know its been put together properly.

Anyway, totally loved the 200 miles I had with the car, and look forward to more when it isn't going to fall over and destroy itself.

With many other products, you'd say, just give them it back and get me another one. But i'm thinking if an engineer has checked it all over thoroughly, inside and out. Its probably better to have the repaired one than anything else as at least then I know its been put together properly.

What makes you think an engineer has checked it over thoroughly inside and out?
If I was a Tesla engineer I think I would spend most of my time with my eyes firmly closed. Find my way to the specific things reported (via touch) and then squint at them through semi closed eyes. That's probably the only way I could keep my conscience clear and avoid having to keep every car that comes in for a week at the same time. :D

Also "sheered" is probably Tesla speak for missing

Oh god. Now you have me worried :D

Better someone who was tasked with a: its squeaking, fix it, and dont come out till its stopped. Than Fremont where they go: "its missing the doors, but we will let service handle that"

Also "sheered" is probably Tesla speak for missing

Been a few cases of missing/loose fasteners as well as (in my case) massively over-torqued fasteners. The nuts on the anti-roll bar ball joints on my Model 3 were overtightened and fractured the ball joint base/spacer. I believe others have reported similar problems in the past; certainly the over-torqued ball joint problem seems to have affected a batch of cars built around July/August last year.

Edited to add:

This thread: Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue and also this one: Creaking suspension and/or steering? also refer to loose/missing fasteners.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dingleberg
Been a few cases of missing/loose fasteners as well as (in my case) massively over-torqued fasteners. The nuts on the anti-roll bar ball joints on my Model 3 were overtightened and fractured the ball joint base/spacer. I believe others have reported similar problems in the past; certainly the over-torqued ball joint problem seems to have affected a batch of cars built around July/August last year.

Edited to add:

This thread: Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue and also this one: Creaking suspension and/or steering? also refer to loose/missing fasteners.
I saw the creaking suspension and did think of that. SC claimed they hadn't any record of my specific issue on "the database" (sounded like an internal tesla fault database), but who knows how thorough that is.

Edited to add:

Oh good. Just when mine was built then :(

Got mine a month ago and there was no dual motor badge. Took it in last week and they fitted it. Also got them to fit the mudflaps which were in the boot. Also an annoying rattle coming from the driver side A pillar around where the speaker is. They had a go and it seemed alright for a bit but it's back now. Any ideas to fix it would be appreciated.

Got mine a month ago and there was no dual motor badge. Took it in last week and they fitted it. Also got them to fit the mudflaps which were in the boot. Also an annoying rattle coming from the driver side A pillar around where the speaker is. They had a go and it seemed alright for a bit but it's back now. Any ideas to fix it would be appreciated.
I think that is a known fix - search tweeter rattle. Mine is fine or I'd know more.

• Helpful
Reactions: H Mak