TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model 3 Key Fob

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pdk42, Oct 2, 2019.

1. pdk42

pdk42 Member

• Love x 1
  2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I was just looking at that too. I’m so tempted!

No hands required. Locking and unlocking your Model 3 has never been easier. Keep your key fob in your pocket and simply pull on the door handle for easy entry. Same with the trunk. Your key fob is automatically enabled when you pair with your vehicle.

3. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Yeah, I think I might buy one too. Mobile access is ok, but my phone is usually in my back pocket and I'm getting fed up doing a little hip wiggle when I get to the car !

4. interbear

interbear Member

Isn’t proximity opening what the phone does when paired as a key? I’m struggling to see the point of spending money on a key fob when the phone does exactly the same, with the keycard in my wallet as a back up.

Can those genuinely interested in the key fob explain why, please? I can see it looks pretty cool but that’s about it in my view. Am I missing something?

• Like x 2
  5. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

The phone does do everything the key does. But I am weird and I do not like keeping the Bluetooth on, on my phone 24/7 so I always turn it on and off manually. With the new iOS updates it doesn’t actually turn off BT with the control center (swiping up) or (swiping down, depending on iPhone X and newer) so i always have to go into settings to turn it off. I do not use anything BT related on my phone other than for the car. All my other cars have a key. And I still carry house keys. Right now I have a holder that keeps the key card with my house keys. This will replace it with a more”normal” sized key that’s attached to my house keys.

It’s $150. So I’m debating. I spent $180 for a used key fob when i lost my Toyota Prius Key. So this isn’t bad. Just that I don’t want to give tesla anymore of my money.

• Like x 1
  6. Smiddy

Smiddy Supporting Member

I was looking at this while i was waiting for Tesla to link the car to my account, using the key card got annoying very quickly but when i contacted Tesla about getting one I was told its not available in the UK yet, US market only. (When the first version of the key couldnt do proximity opening I thought the car might not have the hardware for it)

I guess the point of the keyfob is for people that dont use the mobile app or dont always have their phone with them or maybe share the car with other people.

• Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Even if you have your phone with you all the time, there are a few downsides still:

- If the phone is in your back pocket, the car won't open. Either you take it out of your pocket or you do the hocky-cokey and wiggle your bum around. The latter gets tiring and makes the neighbours think your love affair with the new car really has reached unhealthy levels.

- When you leave the car, you sometimes have to get quite a distance before it locks. In some locations, I'd rather have a definite button to press. I know you can do this with the app, but you need to unlock the phone, fire up the app, navigate to the right screen and then press the lock button. A fob with a big "lock" button is obviously a lot easier.

- I still need to carry house keys, so a fob really is no downside to carry.

• Funny x 1
  8. Keeper

Keeper Member

Would be nice if you could attach your keys to the fob - just like the old days :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  9. Avendit

Avendit Member

The phone isn't 100% reliable for me either - waking the phone in my pocket on approach gets it to 95%, but there is still Def a 1/20 chance that I still have to get it out my pocket and fiddle with it.

Opening from further away so the kids can start sorting themselves out would be good, without fiddling with a phone. 10 year old tech on the old car just let me press a button, blind, in my pocket to open the car for them.

Being able to walk away from the car and have it NOT lock would be good too. Eg when packing etc

Overall, am very tempted just to have a fob to feel more in control, rather than trying to second guess the car trying to guess what I want it to do.

10. pdk42

pdk42 Member

Yes, I agree. Sometimes the traditional way is the best way.

11. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Member

Not to mention that phone do break or get stolen or go flat so I still feel the requirement to carry a “key” on me...

Nah, the fob will be welcome :)

12. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Wonder why? Have US test it out for bugs first?

13. Ash9

Ash9 Member

Isn’t that what the key card is for? A backup in case your phone dies or is lost? Or do you leave the house without your key card?

14. Smiddy

Smiddy Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the first complaint with the initial release was the key didnt have proximity open and close like the S and X have.

I dont see why Tesla UK doesnt have an online accessories store either, seeing as most other EU countries do.

15. tess19

tess19 Member

My phone sometimes dont allow me to open the door until i wake it up. I think it is to wake up the bluetooth on the phone. It is a pain but believe this to be a safety aspect it stops people opening the car if your phone is nearby. Maybe i am paranoid but i have since set up PTD as well so no one can nick my phone AND car at the same time.

• Like x 1
  16. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Member

Yes, but that means I have to carry my wallet with me all the time.
    With Apple Pay I haven’t needed a wallet in a while and I quite liked not having to carry it...

• Like x 1
  17. interbear

interbear Member

This is a fair point. I had also got used to only carrying a phone, with a phone case that could hold up to 3 cards. Adding the Tesla keycard rendered that strategy redundant though, as phone cases that can hold more than that are too bulky. Also I’m not entirely comfortable with having everything, including my car key, in the phone case. Lose the phone, lose everything. So I’ve now reverted to carrying a phone and a wallet in which I put the Tesla keycard as a back up. Happy enough with that.

Using the phone as my car key has worked perfectly for me so far but I carry my phone in my front, not back pocket, maybe that helps?

I’m still not seeing the value in buying the keyfob, but everyone’s view on this will differ.

18. pdk42

pdk42 Member

My company has an office in the US and there are colleagues (and sometime me) going back and forth quite often. Does anyone know if I order a fob in the US whether it'll work here? What needs to be done to link the fob with the car?

19. MaDProFF

MaDProFF Member

I like using the phone, I carry card in wallet as well, but I always have to remember to remove both form the car if just popping quick into a shop or garage etc. which I forget sometimes, so can the key fob lock car while the phone active and wallet is still in the car?

20. Dickybeau

Dickybeau Member

It will operate at a different frequency in the US than that which we would normally use here