Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3, left unplugged for 5 days lost 80% of charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! I'm on my second Model S. Best car ever, will never go back. I have a totally non-tech brother who just bought a Model 3LR. He tells me the car was charged up to 90% and left the car unplugged for 5 days, at which time the car showed 17% charge. He is having difficulty getting anyone to help him (end of quarter craziness, I assume). I have never had any kind of problem with the S, leaving it unplugged sometimes for weeks, traveling. Typically, when left unplugged, my S consumes 2-3 miles of range per day. I don't know if there is anything different, in this regard, with the 3. Is there something he is doing, or not doing, for this to happen? TIA

Help! I'm on my second Model S. Best car ever, will never go back. I have a totally non-tech brother who just bought a Model 3LR. He tells me the car was charged up to 90% and left the car unplugged for 5 days, at which time the car showed 17% charge. He is having difficulty getting anyone to help him (end of quarter craziness, I assume). I have never had any kind of problem with the S, leaving it unplugged sometimes for weeks, traveling. Typically, when left unplugged, my S consumes 2-3 miles of range per day. I don't know if there is anything different, in this regard, with the 3. Is there something he is doing, or not doing, for this to happen? TIA
Odd. If he kept waking the car up by checking on it, that would significantly aggravate the rate of discharge. Even so, this amount is suspicious.

Makes no sense.Maybe he is leaving AC on.

I'd ask him about Sentry mode and the Overheat Protection. Also, is he sure the doors were closed & locked? Power consumption can get really out of control if the car doesn't turn off.

I've also found that if I exit the driver seat via the passenger door without opening the driver's door, the car will stay on. :) That's a rare occurrence though, and not sure how long the car would stay on.

I'd ask him about Sentry mode and the Overheat Protection. Also, is he sure the doors were closed & locked? Power consumption can get really out of control if the car doesn't turn off.

I've also found that if I exit the driver seat via the passenger door without opening the driver's door, the car will stay on. :) That's a rare occurrence though, and not sure how long the car would stay on.
To all: Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure it is something like AC or sentry, the way he described things. We'll get it straightened out. Thanks again.

Likely some combination of cabin overheat protection, and sentry mode, and "checking on the car" from a new owner (or the new owner installing some third party app that they did not configure properly in addition to the above).

Door left ajar?

I’ve seen huge drain when the kids fail to fully close the door. The AC stays on.

I’m picking my 3 up at the airport tomorrow. Been there a week. No idea the charge level as I’ve avoided checking anything with the app. I’ll see tomorrow! It was charged to 80% when dropped off

How much charge would be lost by "checking the app" from time to time... lets say 2-3 times per day?

If the car behaves well and goes back to sleep after 10 minutes and we say it uses 300 W to run the car in idle mode, and your rated consumption is 250 Wh/mi, then waking it up each time will cost you 0.2 miles (300 W * 1/6 h / 250 Wh/mi).

i.e. waking it up 5 separate times would cost you 1 mile/day.

BUT... every time you wake it up you risk some glitch that makes it an insomniac that never goes back to sleep. If that happens you’d start losing ~1 mile/hr.

DISCLAIMER: All figures ballpark guesstimates based on reading threads here and ballparking. Should be close-ish enough.

My car last night parked ~14 hours had 0.39 miles of #VampireGain :) (checked it a few times with API to see if it was asleep, it was — this API check doesn’t wake the car). So the car recalibrated its estimate overnight :) ... sleep losses seem really low now ... I think maybe they’ve delayed wake ups to check to charge 12V, or try to only charge it while driving.

Last edited:
I took my P3D+ to my son's scout troop. I'm a troop volunteer and I stayed for the week at camp and drove down myself and 3 scouts. I arrived at camp with 70% charge. I turned off cabin overheat protection. It was sunny and hot - 90-95 every day by 4pm. I did go into my car twice. Even so, after 6 days of sitting in the heat, I had 69% charge. There was zero cell in the camp in the hills. Even so I was sure to close the Tesla app and Tesla Stats apps in my phone. On interesting thing to note, the car went into such a deep sleep, the only way I could wake it up was to use my key card! So carry your key card.

I took my P3D+ to my son's scout troop. I'm a troop volunteer and I stayed for the week at camp and drove down myself and 3 scouts. I arrived at camp with 70% charge. I turned off cabin overheat protection. It was sunny and hot - 90-95 every day by 4pm. I did go into my car twice. Even so, after 6 days of sitting in the heat, I had 69% charge. There was zero cell in the camp in the hills. Even so I was sure to close the Tesla app and Tesla Stats apps in my phone. On interesting thing to note, the car went into such a deep sleep, the only way I could wake it up was to use my key card! So carry your key card.

Interesting. Maybe no LTE really helped it go into a coma. What happened if you tried the door handles a few times? The screen didn’t wake up? I thought the Bluetooth and card reader were both powered by the 12V so should work at least after a door handle try or two really “wakes up” the 12V system at least (if not the actual car).

My brand new M3 lost 30% of charge (from 300mi to 200mi) after being unplugged in my garage for 72 hours. Sentry mode was the only possible culprit. Going to disable Sentry while parked at home and re-test. If validated, it would suggest using Sentry mode a bad idea if leaving car at airport parking for more than 8 days (assuming zero miles left after 9 days.) Note: Sentry mode being active was also inside a closed garage with the only "stimuli" being the blinking green LED on my furnace controller.