TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model 3 LR AWD cars no longer have Homelink installed in the factory.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pinball_player, Jun 24, 2019.

1. pinball_player

I bought a LR AWD in dark silver metallic back in Feb. It was my wife's car and she totaled it, and the insurance company (LIberty Mutual) took care of us so I order a new red Model 3 LR AWD car to replace it. I picked up the car this weekend, and there is no Homelink anymore in the LR AWD cars standard. You have to purchase it online from Tesla for $300 after the fact and make a service appointment, wait for the install and then finally you have the capability that used to be in the Model 3s that were sold before June 1.

The price is a little high IMHO, and Tesla decided to remove something that was in the car from the beginning without any notice.

There is nothing saying anywhere that this is not included anymore, and I doubt that it said it included it before.

Tesla should not have removed this useful feature. What comes next to be removed?

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 1
  2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

There were numerous news stories and threads on here when this was announced a few weeks ago....for example-

Tesla removes Homelink from standard Model 3 features, now a $300 aftermarket product - Electrek

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Joshan

Joshan Member

I feel your pain but they need to be profitable for the good of us all. They also removed the 14-50 pigtail and the phone cables.

In the end, it was this or raise the price of the car. I am guess their marketing people decided they would lose less car sales removing these items, then by raising the price of the car to keep those items standard equipment.

Tesla being a healthy profitable company is in the best interest of all of the owners.

This is really no different than how all other automakers have removed items like Spare Tires, Roadside Emergency Kits, First Aid kits, Tire pumps, etc...

4. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Wow, I thought they only removed it from the SR models. That's pretty disappointing.

• Like x 1
  5. idmfc

idmfc Member

It definitely feels a little disappointing to be nickel and dimed from a premium car manufacture. Our old 2004 Toyota came standard with Homelink, and even the performance Model 3 costing over 60k still requires a separate purchase and appointment to get such basic functionality. Add on the lack of USB cables, no 14-50 adapter, and the best of all - no floor mats in SR+/- models. That being said, I absolutely love my new Model 3 but I have a really hard time standing behind a company that doesn't include FLOOR MATS in a $40k+ car. Even a Toyota Yaris (under $16k) comes with floor mats.

• Disagree x 7
    • Like x 2
  6. pinball_player

Spare tires have been removed to save weight for something that is rarely used. OTOH I used homelink every day. Very few cars come with first aid kits, and tire pumps anyways.

Look, I understand profitability, but removing something that existed last month and is now gone seems kind of a bad idea.

• Like x 2
  7. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

They more than likely removed it due to lack of use. I'm sure they have data showing the percentage of owner actually using the product. Why install it in every car when it isn't necessary. Easy cost-cutting decision. Dissapointing, I guess so, but the best way to protest against a company that you feel is "doing wrong" by its customers is with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy. That's the best way to get their attention IMOH.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  8. thaian207

thaian207 Member

it was never in the SR or SR+; For LR however, Tesla did announce that they will remove Homelink. If you look at the order page you will no longer see it listed. Disappointing but they are transparent about it.

9. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Hilariously, this is one of my favorite features. I never forget to close the garage door because of the way the feature works.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  10. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

I'm not too happy about them removing HomeLink, either. I can understand their reasoning for it, but they could have at least left it in as a factory installed feature at an additional cost. If they are custom building your car anyway, the option to throw in a $300 option that is easily factory installed (as it had been until June 1) should have been left in as part of the "custom order" configuration page.

• Like x 1
  11. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Hit the reply button a bit early... Having to purchase it and make a separate installation appointment puts added inconvenience on the customer, and hits their already over worked service personnel with an additional (and un-needed) workload.

Just put it back in the configuration page as an available factory installed option for $300.

• Like x 2
  12. pinball_player

It was listed as a feature in the page when you selected the color of your interior. There was no official announcement by Tesla that this was happening. An article on a third party website and a memo to sales people does not help people like me who ordered it online without contacting a salesperson at all. Understand?? I guess I should have not seen it anymore, but alas that is the breaks.

• Like x 3
  13. cybrwzrd

cybrwzrd Member

I picked up a Red AWD last week and it included homelink (I think, the icon is there at least)

If I don't have it, would the icon still appear?

14. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Rumor is that it has been removed from all models.... S/X/3.... Can be ordered after the fact...

15. MountainJedi

MountainJedi Member

It was removed from the description of the Premium Interior back when it was announced that it was no longer going to be included. There was a period of about 12 hours from when the news broke until it was gone from the website (I checked multiple times), but it hasn't been listed for weeks. You just didn't see it was not there when you ordered.

• Like x 1
  16. Sully151

Sully151 Member

What is Homelink?

17. WolfHero

WolfHero Member

Garage door open/close remote control

18. Atari2600

Atari2600 Active Member

They never fully implemented it as it never knew if my door was going up or down. I guess they only care about pre-2013 Homelink standards. Since they didn’t even half ass the implementation they should charge no more than $50. Lazy developers but hey I played Beach Buggy Racing 2 today.

19. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

We bought a 2018 limited 4Runner with no floor mats and a relative bought a 2018 Land Cruiser with no floor mats. They are not included in the base price, they're usually just already there or 'thrown in' by the dealer. It's unnecessary clutter if they are just going to be replaced with different ones.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  20. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Should be standard on LR for sure.