Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 LR AWD cars no longer have Homelink installed in the factory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They never fully implemented it as it never knew if my door was going up or down. I guess they only care about pre-2013 Homelink standards. Since they didn’t even half ass the implementation they should charge no more than $50. Lazy developers but hey I played Beach Buggy Racing 2 today.

How many garage doors out there aren't stateless systems? I honestly wasn't aware that homelink had support for stateful systems until reading your post.

Reactions: CSFTN
How many garage doors out there aren't stateless systems? I honestly wasn't aware that homelink had support for stateful systems until reading your post.
I'm not sure. I just know my door failed and I got a new one which had it then I added Homelink/Siri on top of it for really great control. Since the stateful version of homelink came out in 2013 I just assumed my Model 3 would have it when I reserved and we unhappy when I found out that was not the case.

I have read so many stories about the car opening or closing a door when the opposite needs to happen and the technology is here to prevent it. If people can switch to an EV they can switch to a smarter garage door system. :)

I'm not sure. I just know my door failed and I got a new one which had it then I added Homelink/Siri on top of it for really great control. Since the stateful version of homelink came out in 2013 I just assumed my Model 3 would have it when I reserved and we unhappy when I found out that was not the case.

I have read so many stories about the car opening or closing a door when the opposite needs to happen and the technology is here to prevent it. If people can switch to an EV they can switch to a smarter garage door system. :)

Are any other brand of cars built in garage door openers state-aware?

Am I missing something about these missing USB cables? These are just regular cables - eg the ones you can buy SHIPPED on eBay for $0.99. While I think it’s dumb to not just include them they seriously cost nothing to go buy yourself. If you make $60/hour professionally you just lost money complaining about the lack of cable instead of just buying it

Are any other brand of cars built in garage door openers state-aware?
I think their are as Gentex makes several rear view mirrors that support it.

Here is one I can buy that should fit my Infiniti G37x although it says it's for Toyotas. https://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK45AMB5-2016-2018-Auto-Dimming-HomeLink5/dp/B016WQLZDG

rvm.jpg

Of course this one is under $300 and this pic says 2011 so I guess this technology is a bleeding edge 8 years old.

I bought a LR AWD in dark silver metallic back in Feb. It was my wife's car and she totaled it, and the insurance company (LIberty Mutual) took care of us so I order a new red Model 3 LR AWD car to replace it. I picked up the car this weekend, and there is no Homelink anymore in the LR AWD cars standard. You have to purchase it online from Tesla for $300 after the fact and make a service appointment, wait for the install and then finally you have the capability that used to be in the Model 3s that were sold before June 1.

The price is a little high IMHO, and Tesla decided to remove something that was in the car from the beginning without any notice.

There is nothing saying anywhere that this is not included anymore, and I doubt that it said it included it before.

Tesla should not have removed this useful feature. What comes next to be removed?
Yes, I too was disappointed when Ipicked my M3 up last week and found Homelink missing. My inexpensive solution was to mount my door opener with some 3M dual lock easy tape to the lower left corner on the back of my display. Same effort as a tap of the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Scott7
I think their are as Gentex makes several rear view mirrors that support it.

Here is one I can buy that should fit my Infiniti G37x although it says it's for Toyotas. https://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK45AMB5-2016-2018-Auto-Dimming-HomeLink5/dp/B016WQLZDG

View attachment 422962

Of course this one is under $300 and this pic says 2011 so I guess this technology is a bleeding edge 8 years old.

But- that's an aftermarket mirror.

In case I wasn't clear I was asking if anybody sells a car with this ability from the factory?

Because if not calling out Tesla for being behind the times doesn't make a ton of sense.

But- that's an aftermarket mirror.

In case I wasn't clear I was asking if anybody sells a car with this ability from the factory?

Because if not calling out Tesla for being behind the times doesn't make a ton of sense.
I will equally call out any automobile that has summon and does not have this functionality. But I’ll take a look and see. How many cars have summon?

I will equally call out any automobile that has summon and does not have this functionality. But I’ll take a look and see. How many cars have summon?

This post is the first mention I've seen of your complaint having any relation to summon.... but currently, not even this car has summon in any way this feature would really matter.

Current version of summon only goes forward or backward in largely a straight line, and only if you're nearby where you'd already know, visibly, the state of the garage door before starting.

(even the new advanced version "coming soon" will allegedly require line of sight to the vehicle, meaning you'd have to know the state of the door visually before activating it)

This post is the first mention I've seen of your complaint having any relation to summon.... but currently, not even this car has summon in any way this feature would...

The paragraph below was referring to that...

Read this thread. Can Summon open garage door using Homelink? | Tesla

Am I missing something about these missing USB cables? These are just regular cables - eg the ones you can buy SHIPPED on eBay for $0.99. While I think it’s dumb to not just include them they seriously cost nothing to go buy yourself. If you make $60/hour professionally you just lost money complaining about the lack of cable instead of just buying it
The cables they used to provide have the phone plug ends at a 90 degree angle to fit snugly into the phone dock ledge in the front compartment of the center console... allowing you to slide your phone in for easy charging.

I'm unclear how that example really "helps" the problem you're concerned about...

It seems like all the Subaru offers is when you manually engage homelink, it can tell you which way the door is going (and which state it ends up in.

The car doesn't make any decisions with this info from what you posted though- so it seems like all it's doing is telling the human operator, who can clearly see the state of the door with his eyes something he already knows.

(if the car actually uses this information in some way it's not indicated in what you posted)

I'm unclear how that example really "helps" the problem you're concerned about...

It seems like all the Subaru offers is when you manually engage homelink, it can tell you which way the door is going (and which state it ends up in.

The car doesn't make any decisions with this info from what you posted though- so it seems like all it's doing is telling the human operator, who can clearly see the state of the door with his eyes something he already knows.

(if the car actually uses this information in some way it's not indicated in what you posted)
Curious. Garage door openers are toggle only. There are no discreet codes. How does the Subaru know the state of the door and the direction the door is going? I believe the option to cancel the command is because Homelink doesn’t know which state it’s in. It may be closing but you want the door to open.

Curious. Garage door openers are toggle only. There are no discreet codes. How does the Subaru know the state of the door and the direction the door is going?

Because newer garage door openers are not toggle only. They are state aware and capable of 2 way communication.

The other guys complaint is that Tesla does not support this feature of newer garage systems with their homelink implementation... which is accurate but I'm not aware of any other car maker doing anything useful with this feature either.

His link to the Subaru manual suggests their opener at least SUPPORTS the tech, but does not appear to do so in any way that's really useful. (possibly it does and its not listed in the bit he pasted here though)

That’s why I asked which cars have summon. I don’t know of any. Regardless at least you understand where i’m coming from and now understand how summon with Homelink integration would be useful.

Until summon works in a situation you're not required to have line of sight to the car I still don't see how it'd really be useful currently.

You know, before engaging summon, the state of the door- because you can physically see the thing. And you can activate the door from the app where you're using summon from to toggle that state if you need to.

The only thing 'state aware" might add to this experience is saving you 1 button press if needed.

Until summon works in a situation you're not required to have line of sight to the car I still don't see how it'd really be useful currently.

You know, before engaging summon, the state of the door- because you can physically see the thing. And you can activate the door from the app where you're using summon from to toggle that state if you need to.

The only thing 'state aware" might add to this experience is saving you 1 button press if needed.
Did you read that thread on the Tesla forum? If it’s set to auto open close the door you have to bypass toggle to save a potential door accident. Please read the posts at the link I posted.