Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 LR AWD cars no longer have Homelink installed in the factory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They never fully implemented it as it never knew if my door was going up or down. I guess they only care about pre-2013 Homelink standards. Since they didn’t even half ass the implementation they should charge no more than $50. Lazy developers but hey I played Beach Buggy Racing 2 today.

It works fine for me and exactly how I would want it to.

I drive home and homelink opens the garage for me and I manually close it when I walk into the house.

I open the garage manually and get into my car to leave and homelink closes it for me.

Sometimes when I’m approaching my garage it’s already open and so Homelink closes the garage door just as I’m beginning to pull in. It’s not a big deal but it would be a nice feature if it was state aware.

I have a brand new Wifi enabled garage door opener which has an Iphone app that can tell me what the open/close status of the door is. It also alerts me (by choice) when the door has been open more than 15 minutes just in case I accidentally forgot to close it. I could just disable Homelink and use the GPS on my Iphone to automatically open the door as I approach but I haven’t bothered yet as the Tesla Homelink generally works quite well.

Did you read that thread on the Tesla forum? If it’s set to auto open close the door you have to bypass toggle to save a potential door accident. Please read the posts at the link I posted.

I did read it. It doesn't really support your point.

The OP asks if it will open the door when he uses summon. He's told it will. Or that you can also manually activate homelink from the summon screen if you need to do that instead.

The only chance of an accident is if his eyes are closed the entire time and he somehow doesn't already know the state of the door he's standing right in front of anyway

BTW I would suspect future enhanced summon, since it's going to use the cameras and whatnot, might be able to notice on its own if the door is closed or not even if you don't have a newer garage door kit just visually... but even then you're still required to have line of sight to the car so the operator of summon would already know this anyway.

Sometimes when I’m approaching my garage it’s already open and so Homelink closes the garage door just as I’m beginning to pull in. It’s not a big deal but it would be a nice feature if it was state aware.

I have a brand new Wifi enabled garage door opener which has an Iphone app that can tell me what the open/close status of the door is. It also alerts me (by choice) when the door has been open more than 15 minutes just in case I accidentally forgot to close it. I could just disable Homelink and use the GPS on my Iphone to automatically open the door as I approach but I haven’t bothered yet as the Tesla Homelink generally works quite well.
Change your auto open distance and reset the location to the bottom of your driveway. It works great for me

I've had two cars with the newer generation Homelink mirrors that show the state of the garage door.

If you have a MyQ equipped Liftmaster or Chamberlain garage door opener, then it supports two way communication.

There is actually a close confirm feature where the mirror will show if the garage door closed or not. You can also press the buttons in a certain sequence and it will show if you closed the garage door or not (it remembers the last state of the garage door).

I always wished Tesla would implement it, since it would allow the summon feature to know if the garage door was open or not before leaving the garage. But now that they aren't even including it, I guess summon won't get that feature.