Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 LR on order - some questions! [about model 3 in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! Just signed up as I literally just placed my order for a Model 3 Long Range in the UK last week. Since then I've been watching YouTube videos and reading forum threads and am confused about a few things. Thought I'd double check with the experts.
  1. Does a Model 3 ordered in the UK at the moment definitely come with the new heat pump? I intend to try a bit of 'Tesla camping' so keeping the HVAC system as efficient as possible running overnight is important to me.
  2. How loud is the HVAC system? I currently have a VW ID.3 and that sounds like a jet plane taking off when it is sat on my driveway pre-conditioning the cabin temperature pre-departure. I'm hoping the Tesla is quieter as otherwise it won't be particularly stealthy when camping!
  3. Is a new Model 3 ordered in the UK at the moment a 2022 model or a 2021 model?
  4. Is the new 'vision' camera-based autopark available in the UK and, if so, is it part of Enhanced AutoPilot or Full Self-Driving?
  5. Do Tesla Service Centres fit OEM accessories for you or do you have to do it yourself? I want to get the mudflaps but looking at the install guide it looks like you have to cut part of the car with scissors and I don't fancy doing that myself!
  6. Looks like you get free breakdown cover in the UK for the whole warranty period, which looks like 4 years in the UK? Did I get that right?
  7. How long does it normally take Tesla to give you a definite delivery date after you place your order? When I placed the order the website estimated a March delivery, but it looks in my account that they will send me a more exact delivery date at some point...?
Think that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along! I don't have any real questions about the touch screen controls and infotainment though, I found that all really intuitive even on just a 1 hour test drive. So much so that I find myself wanting to shout at YouTube reviewers complaining about touch screen controls and not being able to find things "it's right there! It's that icon there! I can see it on your camera footage, why can't you figure this out? It's so simple!!" 😄

Reactions: Gasaraki
Hi all! Just signed up as I literally just placed my order for a Model 3 Long Range in the UK last week. Since then I've been watching YouTube videos and reading forum threads and am confused about a few things. Thought I'd double check with the experts.
  1. Does a Model 3 ordered in the UK at the moment definitely come with the new heat pump? I intend to try a bit of 'Tesla camping' so keeping the HVAC system as efficient as possible running overnight is important to me.
  2. How loud is the HVAC system? I currently have a VW ID.3 and that sounds like a jet plane taking off when it is sat on my driveway pre-conditioning the cabin temperature pre-departure. I'm hoping the Tesla is quieter as otherwise it won't be particularly stealthy when camping!
  3. Is a new Model 3 ordered in the UK at the moment a 2022 model or a 2021 model?
  4. Is the new 'vision' camera-based autopark available in the UK and, if so, is it part of Enhanced AutoPilot or Full Self-Driving?
  5. Do Tesla Service Centres fit OEM accessories for you or do you have to do it yourself? I want to get the mudflaps but looking at the install guide it looks like you have to cut part of the car with scissors and I don't fancy doing that myself!
  6. Looks like you get free breakdown cover in the UK for the whole warranty period, which looks like 4 years in the UK? Did I get that right?
  7. How long does it normally take Tesla to give you a definite delivery date after you place your order? When I placed the order the website estimated a March delivery, but it looks in my account that they will send me a more exact delivery date at some point...?
Think that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along! I don't have any real questions about the touch screen controls and infotainment though, I found that all really intuitive even on just a 1 hour test drive. So much so that I find myself wanting to shout at YouTube reviewers complaining about touch screen controls and not being able to find things "it's right there! It's that icon there! I can see it on your camera footage, why can't you figure this out? It's so simple!!" 😄
1. Yes. Definitely. There are no newly made Teslas without the heat pump..
2. Depends. When super charging the whole HVAC system can ramp up loud if the batteries are getting hot but just sitting there camping, I don't think it's loud. It's just a slight buzzing sound and fan sounds. However I don't have the cars with the heat pump.
3. 2022.
4. Yes. FSD. Tesla doesn't sell Enchanted Autopilot anymore.
5. Yes... I think if it's a Tesla part, they can do it for you.
6. Yes. It's that way in the US so I'm assuming it;s the same in the UK.
7. March. A few days before delivery. LOL. Yeah.

Yes. It's really simple actually. If people would just sit in their car and play around with the menus and settings, it's not that hard to find stuff. The car actually has less options than a lot of other cars nowadays. Sometimes I wish there was even more settings options.

1. Yes. Definitely. There are no newly made Teslas without the heat pump..
2. Depends. When super charging the whole HVAC system can ramp up loud if the batteries are getting hot but just sitting there camping, I don't think it's loud. It's just a slight buzzing sound and fan sounds. However I don't have the cars with the heat pump.
3. 2022.
4. Yes. FSD. Tesla doesn't sell Enchanted Autopilot anymore.
5. Yes... I think if it's a Tesla part, they can do it for you.
6. Yes. It's that way in the US so I'm assuming it;s the same in the UK.
7. March. A few days before delivery. LOL. Yeah.

Yes. It's really simple actually. If people would just sit in their car and play around with the menus and settings, it's not that hard to find stuff. The car actually has less options than a lot of other cars nowadays. Sometimes I wish there was even more settings options.

Thanks for the info, that all sounds pretty good! Well, except the delivery date... I'll brace myself for a long period of not knowing then sudden excitement when they tell me out of the blue to pick it up!

Also, 'Enchanted Autopilot' is my favourite autocorrect ever ;) I wonder what you could get with Enchanted Autopilot? Ability to fly or turn ICE vehicles slowing you down into frogs?

If Enhanced Autopilot is available in the UK, it includes Autopark and everything else that you’d likely care about, so no need for FSD. It’s not available in the US.

Thanks! It is, but I thought I read somewhere that the new 'vision' Autopark is in FSD, whereas the old proximity sensor Autopark was in Enhanced Autopilot? But now that I think about it, maybe the fact that Enhanced Autopilot isn't a thing in the US anymore just confused me about that.

Thanks! It is, but I thought I read somewhere that the new 'vision' Autopark is in FSD, whereas the old proximity sensor Autopark was in Enhanced Autopilot? But now that I think about it, maybe the fact that Enhanced Autopilot isn't a thing in the US anymore just confused me about that.
I wouldn't worry about the difference between vision and regular Autopark. Chances are you won't use Autopark much anyway. Enhanced Autopilot has most of the goodies you want, and I think FSD in the UK provides less functionality than FSD in the US, which is why Tesla is giving you the option to buy Enhanced Autopilot.

5. UK vehicles come with mudflaps and they are normally fitted before delivery (although in the run up to Christmas some were delivered without them being fitted as they ran out of time with so many vehicles to prep).

7. Typically 2 weeks before delivery/collection.

6.there are breakdowns and breakdowns. A major issue and roadside can be very good albeit there may well be a long delay. But something like a puncture outside normal opening times or more than 50 miles from a service centre and you can whistle for aid. It's well worth having RAC/AA etc as backup

Last year Tesla gave everyone a 4 week trial of EAP. The concensus was 90% thought the upgrade wasn't worth £3,400.
I would not buy EAP with the car but upgrade (if you still want it) once you own the car for a few months...

Congrats on making a great choice, I'm loving my third year of Model 3 LR ownership. To add to the above ...

6. While Tesla does offer Roadside Assistance, I would suggest being clear about the level of cover it provides. For example it will only recover you if you breakdown due to a 'warranty' issue, flat tyre, lockout, or flat battery. You may also want someone to recover you in case of accident, vandalism, and a whole lot more. Many Tesla drivers go for RAC in addition. Roadside Assistance

The 2021/2022 model is more complicated with Tesla as they make significant changes during the year too. If you wait for the next big thing you’ll always be waiting, but an upgrade to the MCU processor is likely sometime this year.

Breakdown cover only covers warranty issues and is usually recovery to the nearest service centre. Flat tyres for example are on a reasonable endeavours basis with no real guarantee. The owners group suggests buying extra cover, you may have something through your bank account or may just risk it if you’re not someone who travels far from home.

Just had some mudflaps fitted to my M3P
Amazon specials !!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 169
I'm not sure about upgrading the mud flaps becuase when I walk the dog and look at all the parked cars (Audi, BMW, Vauxhall, etc) most don't have any mud flaps and both the front wheel arch and rear wheel arches look good. Even on cars that are 10 to 15 years old.

In fact, the Tesla rear wheel arch is all plastic, so won't corrode even if there was no paint! Yes, maybe they used better solvent based paints in the past, but I don't think for most people rear mad flaps are needed.

However, if you have the Tesla front mud flap and you get problems it maybe covered by warranty, whereas if you change them, or take it off, probably not.

Lastly, I read somewhere that mud flaps increase the air resistance so they may effect the overall cars efficiency...

Congrats on making a great choice, I'm loving my third year of Model 3 LR ownership. To add to the above ...

6. While Tesla does offer Roadside Assistance, I would suggest being clear about the level of cover it provides. For example it will only recover you if you breakdown due to a 'warranty' issue, flat tyre, lockout, or flat battery. You may also want someone to recover you in case of accident, vandalism, and a whole lot more. Many Tesla drivers go for RAC in addition. Roadside Assistance
Interesting information on the roadside assistance from you both above.

Do you know if Tesla cover is available for European touring? I would, in any case, have the RAC backup. Concerns have been raised as to the lack of "Tesla qualified and equiped" assistance and particularly, vehicle recovery firms.
I guess UK/ European Tesla owners are still pioneers waiting for services here to catch up with the USA market.

Having said all that, things can't be too grim or there would be more horror stories recounted here.

Do you know if Tesla cover is available for European touring? I would, in any case, have the RAC backup. Concerns have been raised as to the lack of "Tesla qualified and equiped" assistance and particularly, vehicle recovery firms.
I guess UK/ European Tesla owners are still pioneers waiting for services here to catch up with the USA market.

Having said all that, things can't be too grim or there would be more horror stories recounted here.

Nearly all of Europe is covered (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en-gb.pdf)

1645611178516.png

I doubt it's especially valid to question the competence of the recovery service outside the UK more than within the UK. They don't really need to know much in order to get a Tesla onto the back of their truck, tow mode, opening the frunk, etc. Tesla wouldn't send someone who does have the ability to get the wheels off the ground.

Tesla only recover you to the nearest service centre. If you're a long way from home that can leave you in a difficult position. I recall someone breaking down near Paris, the car was recovered, they had to make their own way home as no loaner (or at least not one they could drive back to the UK in) and when it was fixed they had to fly back out to Paris and drive home. Not ideal.

Tyres are also variable in what they do. They tried to tell me they wouldn't recover because I'd hit a pothole and that was accident damage whereas if I'd had a slow puncture for another reason it would have been. Seems to vary depenbding who you talk to.

Reactions: Rooster6655

Nearly all of Europe is covered (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en-gb.pdf)

View attachment 772799

I doubt it's especially valid to question the competence of the recovery service outside the UK more than within the UK. They don't really need to know much in order to get a Tesla onto the back of their truck, tow mode, opening the frunk, etc. Tesla wouldn't send someone who does have the ability to get the wheels off the ground.
Well, hopefully so in most circumstances.
May I refer you to Mr Miserable and his 30 hour ordeal. The problem centred on the difficulty with loading the car with its wheels locked; tow mode being out of action due to total shut down. If I understood correctly, the subcontracted recovery folk did not carry the required wheel trollies to move the car.

Probably an exceptional situation.