Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3 missing screw on left side undercarriage behind wheel… scheduled mobile service two weeks out. Any similar experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my new model 3 Monday and when I was looking to install my Tesla mud Flaps today I noticed that the left side never had a screw in it, and the new mud flap screw wouldn’t go in. Assuming there’s some problem with the threading. Soonest service I could get with Tesla is two weeks out… in the interim the flap is secured by two two pins. Will I be fine for a couple weeks until hopefully mobile service can fix it? Wish I’d known to check this out before delivery. Photo for reference on the screw.

Attachments

• 2CDB6C0F-4BFC-4FD1-AD99-E7E0B8C20C70.jpeg
    2CDB6C0F-4BFC-4FD1-AD99-E7E0B8C20C70.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 206
Well, if it had been me, I'd have pulled out my battery-operated drill and made a hole. So many problems could be solved if people were even just a tiny bit more able, instead of having to have someone come, for me at least, fifty miles to drill a hole. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. Or maybe you could use Gorilla Glue! Or something other than waste gas driving to your place. Oh, well....

Well, if it had been me, I'd have pulled out my battery-operated drill and made a hole. So many problems could be solved if people were even just a tiny bit more able, instead of having to have someone come, for me at least, fifty miles to drill a hole. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. Or maybe you could use Gorilla Glue! Or something other than waste gas driving to your place. Oh, well....
I’m just not sure I feel comfortable drilling into the undercarriage of a brand new car… definitely don’t really know what I’m doing and would probably damage something.

Don't stick a drill in that hole. It's a tapped hole. You would just ruin the threads. Drilling would be fine for a plastic rivet or a self tapping screw. Not in this case.

I am guessing the threads are just dirty from being open to the environment. Clean it out with some wd40 or brake cleaner or whatever you have. Work the bolt in slowly by going forward and back over and over.

Be sure you aren't cross threading.

Don't stick a drill in that hole. It's a tapped hole. You would just ruin the threads. Drilling would be fine for a plastic rivet or a self tapping screw. Not in this case.

I am guessing the threads are just dirty from being open to the environment. Clean it out with some wd40 or brake cleaner or whatever you have. Work the bolt in slowly by going forward and back over and over.

Thanks I’ll give that a try!

Gave it a try and unfortunately no luck. Seems like it just can’t catch a thread at all.

Attachments

• 879AA007-AD0C-4F8F-9A37-CCC9201E1144.jpeg
    879AA007-AD0C-4F8F-9A37-CCC9201E1144.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 129
  • 3F4BB8C8-42A9-4783-BA4A-BB8689F1F94F.jpeg
    3F4BB8C8-42A9-4783-BA4A-BB8689F1F94F.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 134