Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3 mods!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price was a factor, but I liked the larger spread of leather and shape change. It's a larger wheel of course, because they just wrap the existing wheel with carbon fiber. Makes it nice and beefy. Only drawback is its no longer grippy on top like the soft original, depending on how you hold the wheel, may not matter.

Thanks again. I think I’m going to pass as the price is, well, not what I feel is fair with me having to give them my OEM wheel too. Also, I agree, losing the nice soft feel now replaced with CF, probably wouldn’t work for me. Now, just adding white leather as pictured, with Black leather in place of the CF, might just work for me. I will wait to see if someone figures this out and offers it. Thanks again!

Thanks again. I think I’m going to pass as the price is, well, not what I feel is fair with me having to give them my OEM wheel too. Also, I agree, losing the nice soft feel now replaced with CF, probably wouldn’t work for me. Now, just adding white leather as pictured, with Black leather in place of the CF, might just work for me. I will wait to see if someone figures this out and offers it. Thanks again!
They have steering wheel covers. Look on ebay and Amazon.com. Probably would work, or if you just want the white, I'd head to the local apholsterer. Any one worth their salt at the trade can easily fashion some leather grips over what you have.

They have steering wheel covers. Look on ebay and Amazon.com. Probably would work, or if you just want the white, I'd head to the local apholsterer. Any one worth their salt at the trade can easily fashion some leather grips over what you have.

Thanks. I will need to do some more research. Ideally, I would like your white grips added to my existing wheel. I assume all suppliers just add the CF wrap and grips over top of the existing leather, no?

Thanks. I will need to do some more research. Ideally, I would like your white grips added to my existing wheel. I assume all suppliers just add the CF wrap and grips over top of the existing leather, no?
They strip it down a little, I saw another place as they were making it. I just found this on Amazon.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-191056_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-191056_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 131
I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing mods. But there (there's always a but), think it through. Here's why I say this, and tell me you don't think this would apply to a mod like a steering wheel swap.

About a year and half ago, I was talking to an owner that was complaining about how Tesla changed the trade-in value he first had to an adjusted second offering. First he got a trade-in quote for his car from Tesla online and confirmed it over the phone I think he said he was talking to someone in CA. He was told to take it to the store for someone to put eyes on it. He was just about to put his down payment down and was at the store. After seeing his, the Tesla person designated to review trade-ins told him they knocked $4,000 off the trade in because he had taken the OEM wheels off and had other 21's on it. He was shocked. He had sold his OEMs and didn't have them to put back on. The explanation he got was that Tesla was going to put OEM wheels and tires on it to sell it. They would not sell it with the non-OEMs and would not warranty them. He said that $4,000 lower trade-in offering was a deal breaker for him. This was back when there was an official CPO program. Maybe it doesn't apply today. I don't know, but I do consider it.

I doubt Tesla would charge $4,000 against that car to put new Tesla wheels on it, but that's what he said. Every mod I have made to my S's can be undone and put back like it did when I took delivery.

I remember reading on TMC that an owner was told that they reduced his trade-in offer because he had a Blackvue in his car. Most people replied just remove it and save time by hiding the wires. I think he said he would .

Consider that you could take a hit on the trade-in value to Tesla if it doesn't look like factory when you want to move up to a newer one. Maybe it won't matter, but you might find you have to find a private buyer so you don't have to un-do what you did.

That white/carbon fiber steering wheel is definitely cool. But did you have to give your original one with that purchase? Why would the seller do that? Would the be doing this to make it hard for you to put the original back on and trying to sell your used white/carbon fiber on eBay and competing with them?

Reactions: jebinc
I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing mods. But there (there's always a but), think it through. Here's why I say this, and tell me you don't think this would apply to a mod like a steering wheel swap.

About a year and half ago, I was talking to an owner that was complaining about how Tesla changed the trade-in value he first had to an adjusted second offering. First he got a trade-in quote for his car from Tesla online and confirmed it over the phone I think he said he was talking to someone in CA. He was told to take it to the store for someone to put eyes on it. He was just about to put his down payment down and was at the store. After seeing his, the Tesla person designated to review trade-ins told him they knocked $4,000 off the trade in because he had taken the OEM wheels off and had other 21's on it. He was shocked. He had sold his OEMs and didn't have them to put back on. The explanation he got was that Tesla was going to put OEM wheels and tires on it to sell it. They would not sell it with the non-OEMs and would not warranty them. He said that $4,000 lower trade-in offering was a deal breaker for him. This was back when there was an official CPO program. Maybe it doesn't apply today. I don't know, but I do consider it.

I doubt Tesla would charge $4,000 against that car to put new Tesla wheels on it, but that's what he said. Every mod I have made to my S's can be undone and put back like it did when I took delivery.

I remember reading on TMC that an owner was told that they reduced his trade-in offer because he had a Blackvue in his car. Most people replied just remove it and save time by hiding the wires. I think he said he would .

Consider that you could take a hit on the trade-in value to Tesla if it doesn't look like factory when you want to move up to a newer one. Maybe it won't matter, but you might find you have to find a private buyer so you don't have to un-do what you did.

That white/carbon fiber steering wheel is definitely cool. But did you have to give your original one with that purchase? Why would the seller do that? Would the be doing this to make it hard for you to put the original back on and trying to sell your used white/carbon fiber on eBay and competing with them?

Yep, I read another example where a person trade was knocked down for something as simple as tint. Re the steering wheel mod - I was “out” once I learned I had to give the seller my OEM wheel.

I'm not worried about trade in value anyways. I would rather sell it then get ripped off on any trade in. That's essentially what it is. Though, I've done so twice in my life for a quick turnaround. Actually, recently traded in 2015 mini cooper s for 2015 mini cooper JCW. Didn't have the OEM run flats so lowered the trade in value. I did it anyway out of laziness, still kicking myself cause the car sold by them maybe 2 days later!
So, never again..... Maybe.
You can find OEM steering wheels on ebay as well as many other parts. Easy to return to stock. I'm also getting a complete carbon fiber dash and probably keep the OEM stored in garage. There isn't anything you can do to Not bring it back to stock if need be.

Update.
So, I finally got the complete carbon fiber dashboard in. No cap, the whole thing is all matte carbon fiber. I had to make a few adjustments to get it in. I got other ideas while doing that project so wrapped the center console sides white to match the center of the steering wheel.
Not sure if I will stay with the carbon fiber dash as it takes some of the white accents away, (another reason I wrapped the console edge.)
So,pictures of before the dash and after.
before.jpg
inside 2_1_1.jpg

Yeah, my thoughts as well, but I'll drive it for a while, see if it grows on me. :D
I can easily swap the white one back in. It would look sweet on those that don't have the white interior, but want to spruce it up with real carbon fiber ;).... (sales pitch)

Reports are that any outside mirror cost us about 4-5 % of range in drag. I wonder how mud flaps affect range? Would the surface area of two flaps be about equal to holding a scuba fin out side the window? Real pretty, but can they fight !?!

im glad i didnt pay full price but this vinyl sticker was so hard to put on, im not happy with the way it turned out either. the grain and color is very slightly different then the actual wood grain.

Attachments

• 2019-12-12 08.41.51-2.jpg
    2019-12-12 08.41.51-2.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 61
Update : added 15mm Blox wheel spacers front and 5mm rear.
Matte carbon fiber side skirts to match front and rear spoilers.
Also changed out the center console carbon fiber with a more MATTE, matte to match the dash.
If anyone wants the carbon fiber I had on it, it's still in great shape, will sell cheap.
Here's pictures, need more light, I'll try daytime tomorrow...
zideskirt.jpg
sideskirt2.jpg
inside matte.jpg

Reactions: gmtom1