Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner. FSD worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, since your new car should already have HW3 and already has standard autpopilot, FSD is not worth it. The features above standard autopilot (NOA, SS, lane change, parking) are nifty but by no means essential and don't work all that well yet. Standard autopilot already vastly improves gridlock traffic and dull isolated highway driving.

I for one have zero interest in ever using my car as a robotaxi. Racking up miles while strangers mess up my car; no thanks. Plus, if that's ever even possible, Uber or similar services could set up a fleet of them; it's not a given that it'd be a good economic model for individual owners (I assume standard insurance is not going to be sufficient).

(FWIW, I own FSD. Bought my car with EAP for $5k. Then added FSD for another $2k during sale.)

Add one more voice advising you to forget FSD and buy a LR AWD instead. Range is more important than the gimmicks that FSD currently is. If something useful comes along you can add FSD later. You can't add more range to an SR.

Also, you're in Canada and I hear it may snow there once in a while. The AWD could help with that more than FSD.

Reactions: afadeev and tvad
Hello everyone,

I am a new Model 3 owner, I currently put the down the deposit and am eagerly awaiting for my Model 3 SR.
At the time I placed the order I opt'd in for the FSD which was $7800, I checked back today on the Tesla page and FSD has gone up to $9200.

During my time here I have read many threads on people purchasing FSD years ago and regretting it and while some still continue to support it. My question is for all of you new model 3 owners that have purchased recently, did you guys OPT in for FSD? what made you Opt in or out?

I am located in Canada BC, and I am also just wondering what the chances of us getting to fully use FSD are, and how likely we would even get this implemented even if Tesla is able to achieve this in the near future?

I still have the ability to opt back out, however I know the price continues to creep higher and higher which has made me initially opt in.

Cheers,
Tn

$9200?

Holy Smokes. Is that a special Canada price?

• Funny
Reactions: verystandard
Based on what you currently get with FSD over AP and the fact it’s $7k, the answer is F NO. Chances are the price will be lowered in the future. NOA/summon are NOT worth the extra coin currently and this is coming from an early adopter of FSD.

Reactions: tvad
I guess if Canadian context bans the use of automation, and you have, or can wire up, a 240 volt jack at home, then long range battery and dual motor are both unnecessary frosting, so a basic standard+ (and save the money) might be the best choice.

The thing I would add to the Partial Premium interior would be an active subwoofer to wire off existing speakers or in other ways. That can be done for $100-150 US, as in reality nobody NEEDS thousand watt asphalt peelers inside the car.

Now if you need to break windows in adjacent cars, that's a different requirement, but the factory Premium Interior sub doesn't do that either, and it sounds alright unless you want flat response down to 20 Hz. In any case, adding your own subwoofer lets you choose, and it's a healthy hobby outlet too.

Last edited:
You asked for a new owners perspective. I have had my Model 3 AWD for just over a month. I have auto pilot which I use quite a bit since we do mostly highway driving. FSD would be nice, used it on the demo model and it was cool, but for 7k more not so much. The cruise and auto pilot work great. In stop and go traffic adaptive cruise works fine, so would auto pilot. I would take the money and go AWD and long range first. Is it really that hard to switch lanes on your own? You still need your hand on the wheel and be ready to take over.

You are going to enjoy owning and driving this car either with FSD or not.

I've sounded off about this on many threads, but I agree with the "F NO" crowd. My company was even willing to pay for it and I said I'd be an awful steward of their money if I paid for FSD. There is no way is it worth it unless you make silly money with nothing else to spend it on.
I love Tesla, but this is a scam.
Get the bigger battery and sleep well at night!

If we're asking "new owners" who haven't learned to use NOA, we're getting what might be expected.

Whether it's worth $7k is a long term personal decision, but all this "scam" and "silly money" verbiage is bizarre. What's always surprised me on this forum is the bitterness of the anti-FSD crowd. Folks, if you don't like it, that's fine, just as some of us like it a lot. But where's the nastiness coming from?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsayz
If we're asking "new owners" who haven't learned to use NOA, we're getting what might be expected.

Whether it's worth $7k is a long term personal decision, but all this "scam" and "silly money" verbiage is bizarre. What's always surprised me on this forum is the bitterness of the anti-FSD crowd. Folks, if you don't like it, that's fine, just as some of us like it a lot. But where's the nastiness coming from?

The easy snarky comment towards the anti-FSD crowd could be...they’re pissed they didn’t get it cheaper. But that’s an low-blow towards them and probably only covers 30-50%. I purchased FSD and don’t regret it, has it lived up to the $6k purchase price? Ha not yet! But I have no need for the LR so why not try this FSD thing and see what it ends up doing over the next 4-5yrs that I keep the car.

Full city driving would/will be cool if it gets there. I’m sure more things will come, I never thought a car would do what a Model 3 does today. I think we should take a step back and see some of the accomplishments before saying “why isn’t it cooking breakfast for me and doing my taxes at the same time while taking me on my 15min daily commute”.

Reactions: MrG_NY
I just drove from San Francisco Bay to Reno Nevada and back. 2019.32.12.2 one way, 2019.36.2.1 return. It keeps getting smarter. NOA on the whole time, except maybe 2 minutes total on short sections of damaged roadway where there were no lane markings at all and I drive manual.

Future development on HW 3 aside, which is one thing you're buying, right now just NOA by itself is worth a lot. After 9 hours driving in manual I'd be way way more tired. Easy to finance with the car, then take some time to get to know it, learn to best use it, and enjoy it. Within two years the people who got half a Tesla will be shelling out more unfinanced cash to catch up.

If I had to pick between the FSD and longer range, it'd be a no-brainer: Go for the range. Not only can you not add more range later on after the fact, the range also upgrades the interior amenities and, should FSD's feature set get past a make-or-break point, you can add it later.

Based on what you currently get with FSD over AP and the fact it’s $7k, the answer is F NO. Chances are the price will be lowered in the future. NOA/summon are NOT worth the extra coin currently and this is coming from an early adopter of FSD.

I second that, I really can't justify of paying $9200 for the crippled Canadian FSDs (FSD for Canada is much inferior compare to USA version)

Just curious, how and where exactly is NOA crippled on Canadian highways?

I was thinking of taking another trip up that way, Vancouver and probably up to Banff. Not too enthused if I have to do all the driving with no NOA or assisted lane change.

Last edited: