Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner - I Have Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am awaiting delivery of my LR Model 3 (hopefully it's only three weeks away) and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information out there. I want to know a few things:
- First of all, I'm renting a house, so was thinking of getting one of these to get a bit more charge at home. We are only single phase power, anyone else use this? Thoughts and opinions?
- What adapters MUST I get for charging? I will travel to rural NSW occasionally to see family and the best they have nearby is an NRMA charger.
- Do all Tesla Model 3's come with floor mats now? (I had heard they did).
- Has anyone in Melbourne gotten ceramic coating for the paint? Any recommendations? (I'm in Northern Melbourne).
- What's the best option for a spare tyre? I get that driving around the city you can get away with not needing one but on country drives I would feel uncomfortable not having one.

Any other tips, knowledge that you can impart on a first time Tesla owner would be appreciated.

Hello @summerda and welcome to TMC.
You will have to install a matching socket for the adapter that you intend to purchase for your MC2, so I would order the 5 pin 3 phase capable version called a 56P532 and install a 5 pin 3 phase socket in your rented house. EVSE will probably help you find an electrician who knows how to wire it as single phase. The 3 phase plug will be be most useful on trips as the matching 3 phase 5 pin 32 Amp socket, known as a 56SO532 is the most common in remote areas and is the one chosen for the AEVA/TOCA Network.
The most useful connector for charging beyond the above adapter is a Type 2 to Type 2 cable for cable-less chargers that are being installed as backup by NRMA in some sites and many other sites, and possibly a J1772 to Type 2 adapter for older charge stations. EVSE sell these as a bundle.
However, before you buy anything I would first download the PlugShare app and look for charging sites in the areas you will be travelling to most frequently and have a look at the charging locations in that area for what adapters you will need if any. Let us know the rural location you most intend to travel to and I can be more specific.
I will let Melbourne based Model 3 owners answer your other questions.

Last edited:
Hello @summerda and welcome to TMC.
You will have to install a matching socket for the adapter that you intend to purchase for your MC2, so I would order the 5 pin 3 phase capable version called a 56P532 and install a 5 pin 3 phase socket in your rented house. EVSE will probably help you find an electrician who knows how to wire it as single phase. The 3 phase plug will be be most useful on trips as the matching 3 phase 5 pin 32 Amp socket, known as a 56SO532 is the most common in remote areas and is the one chosen for the AEVA/TOCA Network.
The most useful connector for charging beyond the above adapter is a Type 2 to Type 2 cable for cable-less chargers that are being installed as backup by NRMA in some sites and many other sites, and possibly a J1772 to Type 2 adapter for older charge stations. EVSE sell these as a bundle.
However, before you buy anything I would first download the PlugShare app and look for charging sites in the areas you will be travelling to most frequently and have a look at the charging locations in that area for what adapters you will need if any. Let us know the rural location you most intend to travel to and i can be mor specific.
I will let Melbourne based Model 3 owners answer your other questions.
Thanks @meloccom . This helps a lot.

Reactions: Hairyman
I am awaiting delivery of my LR Model 3 (hopefully it's only three weeks away) and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information out there. I want to know a few things:
- First of all, I'm renting a house, so was thinking of getting one of these to get a bit more charge at home. We are only single phase power, anyone else use this? Thoughts and opinions?
- What adapters MUST I get for charging? I will travel to rural NSW occasionally to see family and the best they have nearby is an NRMA charger.
- Has anyone in Melbourne gotten ceramic coating for the paint? Any recommendations? (I'm in Northern Melbourne).
- What's the best option for a spare tyre? I get that driving around the city you can get away with not needing one but on country drives I would feel uncomfortable not having one.

Any other tips, knowledge that you can impart on a first time Tesla owner would be appreciated.

+1 to everything that @meloccom said.

For ceramic coating or PPF, I use Affinese and they are pretty good. They are located in Clayton so might not be convenient for you. You can give them a call and tell them Harsha referred you. You can also join TOCA and get some free services from Affinese. You can call them on (03) 9581 2653.

Reactions: AussieOwner

Hi Summerda. Have you reviewed your daily driving range? Your normal power point will load in around 10km of range for each hour of charging (can make that around 17km if you upgrade to a 15A standard plug. Hence unless you do (10km times number of hours at night you can charge) or driving each day (so you’ll recover 50km in just under 5 hours), the existing power point will meet your needs at home. You may want something faster if travelling though or if you drive a lot each day.
Ceramic coating is incredibly good. Make sure you get good prep done and I’m sure you‘ll get lots of good local recommendations on here.
If you get a spare tyre, make sure your jack is suitable for the weight. A carry the tesla repair kit instead.

+1 to everything that @meloccom said.

For ceramic coating or PPF, I use Affinese and they are pretty good. They are located in Clayton so might not be convenient for you. You can give them a call and tell them Harsha referred you. You can also join TOCA and get some free services from Affinese. You can call them on (03) 9581 2653.
Oh, brilliant. I don't mind a little bit of travel if it comes with a good recommendation. Thanks for the suggestions @race4life81

Hi Summerda. Have you reviewed your daily driving range? Your normal power point will load in around 10km of range for each hour of charging (can make that around 17km if you upgrade to a 15A standard plug. Hence unless you do (10km times number of hours at night you can charge) or driving each day (so you’ll recover 50km in just under 5 hours), the existing power point will meet your needs at home. You may want something faster if travelling though or if you drive a lot each day.
Ceramic coating is incredibly good. Make sure you get good prep done and I’m sure you‘ll get lots of good local recommendations on here.
If you get a spare tyre, make sure your jack is suitable for the weight. A carry the tesla repair kit instead.
Thanks @paulp , our distance each day will vary from anywhere from 20km to 100km per day. I guess if I need to drive to NSW urgently for family reasons it would be good to know I get a bit further along my journey before needing to charge.
Do you have the Tesla repair kit? I've heard they're good. I'd better do some shopping around for a jack and I know I have to get those jack disc things (can't think of what they're called). Seems so much preparation to buy a Tesla. It would scare a lot of people off (not me though).

- First of all, I'm renting a house, so was thinking of getting one of these to get a bit more charge at home. We are only single phase power, anyone else use this?

I've installed one of those 32A 3-pin single phase sockets at a holiday house, to use with that adapter. It adds about 13% / hour on the SR+, so that's about 9% / hour on the LR.

The NRMA chargers are pretty good and they have CCS2 so they just plug straight in to the Model 3, no adapter or cable necessary.

A Type 2 - Type 2 cable for AC charging at chargers without their own cable is about the only other one you really need to consider, but lots of AC chargers have built in cables too (all the Telsa Destination Chargers do, for example).

I've installed one of those 32A 3-pin single phase sockets at a holiday house, to use with that adapter. It adds about 13% / hour on the SR+, so that's about 9% / hour on the LR.

The NRMA chargers are pretty good and they have CCS2 so they just plug straight in to the Model 3, no adapter or cable necessary.

A Type 2 - Type 2 cable for AC charging at chargers without their own cable is about the only other one you really need to consider, but lots of AC chargers have built in cables too (all the Telsa Destination Chargers do, for example).
Oh, this is good to know. Thanks @cafz this helps a lot.

100% for ceramic coating go to:

Affinese
4/75 Main Road
Clayton South VIC 3169

Phone: 03 9581 2653

JJ, Pat and the boys do more Tesla's than anyone else in Melbourne. They're recognised by TOCA (Tesla Owners Club of Australia) and to that end if you join TOCA you'll get a discount and or some freebies from Affinese.

They are really knowledgable re Tesla's and do a great job....let them know Scot recommended you....they know me well ;)

Thanks @paulp , our distance each day will vary from anywhere from 20km to 100km per day. I guess if I need to drive to NSW urgently for family reasons it would be good to know I get a bit further along my journey before needing to charge.
Do you have the Tesla repair kit? I've heard they're good. I'd better do some shopping around for a jack and I know I have to get those jack disc things (can't think of what they're called). Seems so much preparation to buy a Tesla. It would scare a lot of people off (not me though).
Yes I have the repair kit, it sits in the frunk. I’ve never used it though, I only seem to get punctures in the city and always able to get quickly to my preferred tyre place. I also have a compressor at home as tyre pressure on a tesla needs constant checking and filling. Hence I can’t comment on whether the puncture repair device is good or not.
You will easily fill your 100km at night on a normal power point. The only time you really need faster is if you dont want to plug in each night, but you quickly learn plugging in is very quick, and on that basis filling your EV takes a lot less of your time than a servo. But yes if you need a faster turnaround, the standard power point wont give it to you. I have the HPWC on 3 phase, so like most owners install way more than is needed for charging. You cant go wrong having more capacity either.
You’ll become very comfortable with range management and charging after a couple of months and get out of the petrol station approach of emty/fill/emty/fill.

+1 for ceramic coating, totally worth it for long term ease of washing (hand washes only of course!) and protection.

If you are really fussy about your paint and are keeping the car for a while I'd consider PPF. Costs way more but the protection to your paintwork is exceptional.

I had half and half of those two options done and my car still looks new after 2 years.

You will easily fill your 100km at night on a normal power point.
I think that is far too confident. It can get pretty cold in winter in Melbourne, which affects efficiency. They might want to use Sentry Mode during the day, which adds some draw; or cabin overheat protection in summer. Some days it'll be very wet (see also: Melbourne); some days they'll have a headwind on their commute.

I would budget at least 12 hours of charging for a 100km commute on the normal power point. That's going to require plugging in pretty early in the evening, and won't be much good for charging on cheaper overnight tariffs.

A 15A power point using the provided tail would bring that down to 8 hours, a lot more reasonable; the 32A tail brings it down to 3, which means you could fit it in within the Powershop EV plan ultra-cheap tariff time.

... was thinking of getting one of these to get a bit more charge at home. We are only single phase power, anyone else use this? Thoughts and opinions?
... travel to rural NSW .....
It seems your supplier "evse.com.au" is out of stock so no go on that front :(
If you have single phase house supply and travel to rural areas where 32A 3phase is common, why not kill 2 birds w/1 stone?
Grab the 32A 3ph 5pin bundle and wire L1, N, PE on the socket. Use the 32A 5pin Adaptor with your Gen2UMC and charge at 7kW.
Take it with you on your trip to rural NSW

This is a smart way of using your Gen2UMC as a home charger and a portable charger when relying on 32A 3ph in the bush.

..... and the best thing... 1 in stock. :cool:

No need for a spare tire with the 18" tires. just get a tire glue kit. I drive my stealth performance routinely in the outback and rural australia. Just take good care of your tires. If you have 20" tires.... then its a different matter.

Afaik SR+ doesnt come with floor mats but tbh i'd get all weather mats from aliexpress/amazon etc anyway.

I think the charging network is getting pretty good these days, even in rural australia. I think NSW already has rural DC charging, QLD will get rural DC charging in the next 12 months minus some very isolated areas. I would just get a type 2 cable and thats hopefully all you need. A three phase gen 1 mcu could be useful if you charge a lot at other peoples houses - it allowed you to pull 16A out of a normal outlet and of course use 3 phase outlets too.

using the mcu is ok to charge at home if you dont drive much. You get 11km of rated range per hour with it.... So if your commute is below 100km or so youll be fine. if you live at your house long term id get an electrician to get a destination charger installed - doesnt have to be a tesla branded one. One nice thing with the tesla ones is that you get a button which opens the chargeport for you.

No need for a spare tire with the 18" tires. just get a tire glue kit. I drive my stealth performance routinely in the outback and rural australia. Just take good care of your tires. If you have 20" tires.... then its a different matter.

Afaik SR+ doesnt come with floor mats but tbh i'd get all weather mats from aliexpress/amazon etc anyway.

I think the charging network is getting pretty good these days, even in rural australia. I think NSW already has rural DC charging, QLD will get rural DC charging in the next 12 months minus some very isolated areas. I would just get a type 2 cable and thats hopefully all you need. A three phase gen 1 mcu could be useful if you charge a lot at other peoples houses - it allowed you to pull 16A out of a normal outlet and of course use 3 phase outlets too.

using the mcu is ok to charge at home if you dont drive much. You get 11km of rated range per hour with it.... So if your commute is below 100km or so youll be fine. if you live at your house long term id get an electrician to get a destination charger installed - doesnt have to be a tesla branded one. One nice thing with the tesla ones is that you get a button which opens the chargeport for you.
Double press the charge port door to open it, and press the small button insode the charge port to release the handle.
Not convinced you can or should pull 16 amps from a normal ourlet. They are generally rated 10 amps on a 16 amp breaker

Double press the charge port door to open it, and press the small button insode the charge port to release the handle.
Not convinced you can or should pull 16 amps from a normal ourlet. They are generally rated 10 amps on a 16 amp breaker

? a single press opens the charge port. whats the small button inside the charge port? i wasnt even aware there was one!!! have always released the type 2 cable using my phone!

Australian cables are the same as in europe - they are all rated for 16A continuous flow. the fuse is 20A like in europe. The difference is that australia usually uses paired outlets so you can only really pull 10A on both before fuse triggers. If you only use one of the outlets 15-16A will be ok though of course even using a Schuko in europe you are usually limited to slightly less due to the high power draw for many hours. I usually set it to 13-14A unless i need to charge quickly. 15A and 10 A outlets are for the most part essentially the same. The 10A just comes in a pair. (Is there any difference between a 10A and 15A GPO?). The larger earthpin is just so people dont plug 2 15A appliance in a dual outlet and then trip the fuse...With Schukos this does not happen as there are no dual outlets in europe.

Last edited:
So in theory if we find 10 amp tail not enough, the legit way would be to get an electrician to replace the dual 10A GPO with a single 15A?

the wiring only needs an upgrade to go to 32A like an oven would require.
Wall Charger, 40amp dedicated cable/circuit (if on single phase) and charge the car at 32amps….be done with it and be on the best of all the options re home charging….

Reactions: paulp
So in theory if we find 10 amp tail not enough, the legit way would be to get an electrician to replace the dual 10A GPO with a single 15A?

the wiring only needs an upgrade to go to 32A like an oven would require.

If its your house and you plan to live there for a while just get an electrician to wire a 32a outlet/wire for a wallcharger.