Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 owners - Road Tax advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow owners, I successfully collected my M3 SR+ Red with 19" sport wheels on Saturday and I'm highly impressed.

Due to the handover containing no paperwork or any advice from the delivery team about road tax it kinda slipped my mind. Going onto the road tax website you need to have some kind of paperwork to register your new car to be taxed, if you don't have this then I believe you need to go to a post office to apply for a new car tax registration which is £25.

Is this information accurate, is this what everyone else in the same boat is doing or was I not given some essential paperwork? I don't want to have to pay £25 if i don't need to but I think that's my only option here?

Hi fellow owners, I successfully collected my M3 SR+ Red with 19" sport wheels on Saturday and I'm highly impressed.

Due to the handover containing no paperwork or any advice from the delivery team about road tax it kinda slipped my mind. Going onto the road tax website you need to have some kind of paperwork to register your new car to be taxed, if you don't have this then I believe you need to go to a post office to apply for a new car tax registration which is £25.

Is this information accurate, is this what everyone else in the same boat is doing or was I not given some essential paperwork? I don't want to have to pay £25 if i don't need to but I think that's my only option here?
Assuming that Tesla have registered the vehicle correctly you should get your V5C registration document through the post within about five days. I’d see if that turns up by the end of the week.

Thanks for your responses everyone, not sure why I couldn't find that on my own... either way I received this page when entering the reg....
upload_2019-8-27_15-44-8.png

So do you think I should wait a week before I take any action.... I hope I wont be liable for anything!

Unless a mistake is made by Tesla, they take care of this. There is no road tax in Year 1, just in Years 2 to 6. They register the car in your name and you get your registration document. I've got mine already, and my tax refund for my trade-in. Tesla (Edinburgh) seem to be quick and efficient. (I may regret saying that, but true so far).

• Helpful
Reactions: wickeruk and Roy W.
Thanks for your responses everyone, not sure why I couldn't find that on my own... either way I received this page when entering the reg....
View attachment 446961

So do you think I should wait a week before I take any action.... I hope I wont be liable for anything!
I’d check again tomorrow, as it takes a few days for things to show up in the online databases. That’s why insurance companies can’t bring up the car details from your registration. I fetched mine on Friday and today it is showing up there.

Reactions: wickeruk
View attachment 446961

it is not possible to register a vehicle with DVLA without Taxing it so if its not taxed then its not registered.
And conversely if it i registered then it is taxed.
However I would not worry yet. Firstly its highly unlikely that Tesla would send you out in an unregistered vehicle.
That would be beyond incompetent even for them

If I remember correctly from working in the industry the processing of new car registration involves an overnight batch which only runs on weekday evenings ( and probably not on bank holidays) so if the car was registered on the DVLA AFRL system on Saturday then it will probably not show up on the enquiry service until the batch runs on Tuesday night.
So check again on Wednesday morning. if its still not showing up then then there might be an issue. If you are worried give the DVLA a call they will be able to confirm the status of the registration number you have been given and confirm if it is actually registered to a vehicle

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000 and Roy W.
So to tax a vehicle, you need Insurance and MOT (if applicable).

Tax is now per owner/per car, previously it was just per car.

So, how do Tesla tax the vehicle in your name if you have not yet sorted the insurance?

When I bought my last car, I had to tax it at the garage on collection - easy as it was all done online, my insurance was in force (it passed the online checks) and no MOT was needed as car was 'new' - technically pre registered so I got a huge discount.

So to tax a vehicle, you need Insurance and MOT (if applicable).

Tax is now per owner/per car, previously it was just per car.

So, how do Tesla tax the vehicle in your name if you have not yet sorted the insurance?

When I bought my last car, I had to tax it at the garage on collection - easy as it was all done online, my insurance was in force (it passed the online checks) and no MOT was needed as car was 'new' - technically pre registered so I got a huge discount.

There are no online checks on whether a car is insured at the point of taxing unless you are in Northern Ireland. There used to be but they stopped it many years ago. However dealers often still ask you to bring insurance documents for no valid reason other than to persuade you to use the "free 24 insurance" service they are offering which they get a kick back on if you end up making it permanent.

There are no online checks on whether a car is insured at the point of taxing unless you are in Northern Ireland.
At initial point of taxing? Definitely required when taxing - online system even says that insurance checks passed or failed and latter will not allow car to be taxed - we have this on one of our cars - we cannot tax the car part way through the advance 14(?) day period until after we have insured the car so that insurance is in force at start of taxation period - taxation process is refused and we have to wait a few days.