Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 owners - Road Tax advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At initial point of taxing? Definitely required when taxing - online system even says that insurance checks passed or failed and latter will not allow car to be taxed - we have this on one of our cars - we cannot tax the car part way through the advance 14(?) day period until after we have insured the car so that insurance is in force at start of taxation period - taxation process is refused and we have to wait a few days.
You are 100% right but about 5 years out of date ( or living in NI) . Yes the 14 day thing was a real pain in the ass. Which is one of the reasons why the DVLA dropped the insurance check from the online VED purchase system. It was not really needed anymore after Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) was introduced.

Nope, happened this March (might have been the one before but no older) and not in NI.

The consultation on it happened in 2012.
https://assets.publishing.service.g.../Annex_A_-_consultation_responses_summary.pdf

It was announced in 2013 at the same time as the abolition of tax discs and DD.
Need to show insurance certificate to buy car tax axed | This is Money

it was my recollection it was implemented at or around the same time as the tax disc abolition ie. late 2014 but it might have been a bit later maybe early 2015. It was long gone by last year

Vehicle tax. Neither road tax nor road fund licence. Our roads are paid for through general taxation. As a commuter cyclist, I often get told to get lost as I pay no 'road tax'. Well, neither do motorist. #JustSaying
The proper name ( at least what the DVLA calls it ) is VED Vehicle Excise Duty and the "luxury car tax" is AR VED Additional Rate Vehicle Excise Duty but if call it that no one knows what I am talking about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
While we are on the subject its also a Vehicle Registration Mark not Registration Number as well and don't get me started on PIN "number" ! :)

Reactions: phillcom3
Unless a mistake is made by Tesla, they take care of this. There is no road tax in Year 1, just in Years 2 to 6. They register the car in your name and you get your registration document. I've got mine already, and my tax refund for my trade-in. Tesla (Edinburgh) seem to be quick and efficient. (I may regret saying that, but true so far).
While it is usually true in practice that no VED is due in year one, it is not exactly correct and it is possible to find a new EV untaxed and facing the luxury charge in the first year. The exemption from the luxury tax applies only to first registration. If you change registered keeper then, because the tax sytem now associates tax with the person and not the car, then the vehicle is not taxed after transfer and tax is due. This is a trap most are not aware of so be careful not to change keeper in year 1 or you may find your car untaxed and luxury tax to pay.

• Informative
Reactions: Rob R and Roy W.
While it is usually true in practice that no VED is due in year one, it is not exactly correct and it is possible to find a new EV untaxed and facing the luxury charge in the first year. The exemption from the luxury tax applies only to first registration. If you change registered keeper then, because the tax sytem now associates tax with the person and not the car, then the vehicle is not taxed after transfer and tax is due. This is a trap most are not aware of so be careful not to change keeper in year 1 or you may find your car untaxed and luxury tax to pay.
You are correct that is it not true to say that the AR VED is not technically due years 2 -6 but for "5 years from the start of the second licence". So, as you say, if you change keeper before the end of year 1 you will bring forward the point at which you start paying it.
But it will also bring forward the point at which it stops being paid by upto a year. I appreciate that this will not be much of a consolation to anyone buying a new car now, even in the rare case that they keep it for 6 years and are the person who actually benefits from it down the line. But if this happens to you then you can at least feel happy about the fact that you will be giving a nice surprise to someone in 5 years time when they find their VED unexpectedly drops to zero a year early. :)
FYI you can find the AR VED end date for an individual vehicle on the DVLA enquiry portal: https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

"you will be giving a nice surprise to someone in 5 years time when they find their VED unexpectedly drops to zero a year early"

... or if its a company car and you plan on buying it out in 4 years time you can bring the charge into the company ;)
I assume you jest....... but actually not a bad idea. if you genuinely wanted to do that you would not need to actually change keeper which would be a PITA you could just SORN it for a day then re-tax it. That would have the same effect.
Also, since DVLA will no doubt raise the AR VED rate every year it already went from £310 to £320, Paying £320 this year would then probably save paying nearer £400 in five years time. That's not a terrible return on investment by modern standards.

I assume you jest....... but actually not a bad idea. if you genuinely wanted to do that you would not need to actually change keeper which would be a PITA you could just SORN it for a day then re-tax it. That would have the same effect.
Also, since DVLA will no doubt raise the AR VED rate every year it already went from £310 to £320, Paying £320 this year would then probably save paying nearer £400 in five years time. That's not a terrible return on investment by modern standards.

Probably not worth the effort but, Tesla would have put only the company name on the V5C. Change the name to your own personal name and likely DVLA will treat it as a new keeper. Your insurance company will be happier too and the taxman should have no issue regarding the first year capital allowance.

Does anyone have Company name AND personal name on their V5C?

Probably not worth the effort but, Tesla would have put only the company name on the V5C. Change the name to your own personal name and likely DVLA will treat it as a new keeper. Your insurance company will be happier too and the taxman should have no issue regarding the first year capital allowance.

Does anyone have Company name AND personal name on their V5C?
Are you saying Tesla is putting companies as the registered keeper of vehicles? if you have a company car then YOU should be the keeper even if you are not the owner. Only things like pool cars that have no main daily user should have companies as the keeper.
There should be a way to tell them who the keeper is to be separate from the owner. V5c is not supposed to be used to indicate owner simply who gets the speeding tickets etc.
But if you do try to change it later DVLA won't treat a name change request as a change of keeper unless you specifically ask them to but whether they will actually accept a name change request when it clearly isn't is another matter. That is designed for individuals who change their name e.g. after marriage and DVLA may well spot that this is not what is happening here.

PCP is essentially HP with a lump sum at the end and the option to return. It's very different to leasing. With leasing you never own the car and can't keep it. OTOH it has some advantages like the lease company pays for tax, MOT and Servicing and sometimes insurance.

Are you saying Tesla is putting companies as the registered keeper of vehicles? if you have a company car then YOU should be the keeper even if you are not the owner. Only things like pool cars that have no main daily user should have companies as the keeper.
There should be a way to tell them who the keeper is to be separate from the owner. V5c is not supposed to be used to indicate owner simply who gets the speeding tickets etc.
But if you do try to change it later DVLA won't treat a name change request as a change of keeper unless you specifically ask them to but whether they will actually accept a name change request when it clearly isn't is another matter. That is designed for individuals who change their name e.g. after marriage and DVLA may well spot that this is not what is happening here.

I agree entirely, Tesla should be putting individuals name on the V5C and not the company but that is not happening, they are putting the company name only. There is of course no way to discuss this with Tesla deliveries.

I agree also in that amendments in V5C box 3 are not change of keeper but are amendments to existing keeper details. DVLA are processing name changes in box 3 incorrectly as a change of keeper, which it is not. Change of keeper is a different process. I know this because I am currently in dispute with DVLA over this exact issue.

I would prefer my name and not the company name on the V5C (the address is the same) because insurance companies like it like that. Despite the address remaining the same, the DVLA treated it as a change of keeper. DVLA do not have a telephone number for queries like this so I'm waiting for them to resolve the issue, ideally my name and the company name can both go on the V5C. Don't know if that's possible, lets wait and see.

If the 5 year luxury tax period starts now instead of next year then, that's not actually a terrible outcome. DVLA should come back to me by tomorrow. In the meantime I'm untaxed.:eek:

What happens with lease cars, do the lease companies keep the V5C as registered keeper?

I agree entirely, Tesla should be putting individuals name on the V5C and not the company but that is not happening, they are putting the company name only. There is of course no way to discuss this with Tesla deliveries.

I agree also in that amendments in V5C box 3 are not change of keeper but are amendments to existing keeper details. DVLA are processing name changes in box 3 incorrectly as a change of keeper, which it is not. Change of keeper is a different process. I know this because I am currently in dispute with DVLA over this exact issue.

I would prefer my name and not the company name on the V5C (the address is the same) because insurance companies like it like that. Despite the address remaining the same, the DVLA treated it as a change of keeper. DVLA do not have a telephone number for queries like this so I'm waiting for them to resolve the issue, ideally my name and the company name can both go on the V5C. Don't know if that's possible, lets wait and see.

If the 5 year luxury tax period starts now instead of next year then, that's not actually a terrible outcome. DVLA should come back to me by tomorrow. In the meantime I'm untaxed.:eek:

What happens with lease cars, do the lease companies keep the V5C as registered keeper?
Lease companies may physically keep the V5 but they would still want you on it as the keeper since they would not want to deal with speeding and parking fines and having to forward them to you. Police would also not be happy if they could not look up the address of a driver after an incident and go around to their house to find them (before they sober up). Keeper does not equal owner though having the V5 does make it easier to sell the car even though it is not yours should you feel like it ( hense HPI checks) . Most used to keep them but that was hassle in itself so would not be surprised if they let you have it so they don't have to store it. I have heard of some fleet operators who just bin them and pay £20 for a new one when then sell the car since they can't be bothered to store them. Sounds bizarre to me but apparently true.

Lease companies may physically keep the V5 but they would still want you on it as the keeper since they would not want to deal with speeding and parking fines and having to forward them to you. Police would also not be happy if they could not look up the address of a driver after an incident and go around to their house to find them (before they sober up). Keeper does not equal owner though having the V5 does make it easier to sell the car even though it is not yours should you feel like it ( hense HPI checks) . Most used to keep them but that was hassle in itself so would not be surprised if they let you have it so they don't have to store it. I have heard of some fleet operators who just bin them and pay £20 for a new one when then sell the car since they can't be bothered to store them. Sounds bizarre to me but apparently true.

Leaseplan have instructions to put them as the keeper and owner when applying for insurance, so wonder what will be on my V5C. Most leasing companies have a clause where they state you are charged an admin fee if they get a speeding ticket etc, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Leaseplan have instructions to put them as the keeper and owner when applying for insurance, so wonder what will be on my V5C. Most leasing companies have a clause where they state you are charged an admin fee if they get a speeding ticket etc, too.
Really. That surprises me. That is certainly not what the DVLA or the Police would tell you. Registered keeper should be (as the name suggests) the person who actually holds the vehicle on a day to day basis. I guess its maybe more of a rule than a law and if the lease companies can monetise the situation to their advantage by NOT doing this I guess they would. Surprised the police accept it though since it means they can't just go straight to the DVLA's database to trace a likely driver.