Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 owners - Road Tax advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really. That surprises me. That is certainly not what the DVLA or the Police would tell you. Registered keeper should be (as the name suggests) the person who actually holds the vehicle on a day to day basis. I guess its maybe more of a rule than a law and if the lease companies can monetise the situation to their advantage by NOT doing this I guess they would. Surprised the police accept it though since it means they can't just go straight to the DVLA's database to trace a likely driver.

Yeah, I had to double check it when getting quotes... I'll be ringing my broker and leaseplan when I have a firm date to triple check, because it doesn't make sense as you mention.

So, just to update this thread, I have now paid the VED additional rate, the luxury tax, at 320 pounds.

DVLA have told me I must pay the tax now because the car is not taxed. They told me I can write to them with my V5C explaining the circumstances, that there is in reality no change of keeper, and assuming they agree, then they would amend the V5C and refund the tax. DVLA say this could take four weeks for them to process.

Under the circumstances, that I will likely buy the car out of the business in 5 years, then there is little benefit of arguing the toss with DVLA and correcting the V5C and, on balance I like having my name on the certificate instead of the company's becuase it complies with the terms on my LV insurance policy.

Considering the PITA of writing to them, and the zero financial benefit of doing so, then I'm going to leave things as they are. The company will pay the tax now and maybe in 5 years time I won't have to.

My V5C may say "NO OF FORMER KEEPERS:1" on the front, which is not actually true, but I can live with that.

If you collect the car at the end of the month, do you effectively lose the preceding days of the month of free road tax?
I don't think so with a new car
When you buy a second hand car at the end of the month yes that is exactly how it works.
With a new car it is different. When the dealer registers the car they can pay for part of a month so the first years tax can actually be 12months + 2 weeks. This is the only time you can do this. I guess its to stop everyone wanting to buy their car at the start of the month which would be a pain for everyone including the dealers and the DVLA.
Whether this is what can and is happening with zero VED Teslas I don't know. maybe someone who collected one will chime in