Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance only getting 294 miles on full 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Point taken that the display doesn't really matter it only matters what you actually get... it just seems kind of bush league to me. I looked at their FAQ in the range section of the website and it says the following:

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for estimated range to decrease slightly over the first few months before leveling off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge – this depends on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you in the unlikely event a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Range

The implication (the way I read it) is that anything lower than advertised is due to degradation so I wouldn't fault any owners for feeling that way.

Sure, it's a bit sketchy. But anyway, my guess is they'll adjust the constant down for 20" (and the 18" and 19") in the next update (to about 260Wh/rmi for the 20" rather than 264Wh/rmi) and make everyone happy to see 299 rmi as long as their capacity is still above 77.6kWh. That means those lucky enough to start with 79kWh will stay pinned at that 299 rmi for a bit longer with their very energetic rated miles (they'll have 264Wh/rmi) , and those closer to 77.6kWh (which is really 260Wh/rmi) will start to see their rated miles reduce from 299 a bit sooner.

Last edited:
Tesla just updated the wh/mi rating for the 2020 performance with performance upgrade package..its now rated at 260wh/mi on 2020.4.1
was rated at 264wh/mi on 2019.40.50.7

using teslamate to log my data and it had previously derived the value of 264wh/mi..but since the update it has been increasing in 260wh/mi logs and no more at 264wh/mi so it seems the new constant is 260wh/mi for now (until they change it again in an update)

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 7.21.12 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with your car. After the latest update my 2020 stealth performance is showing around the same number. Before the latest Christmas update, it was showing 310. They changed the constant and lowered the number. Again this doesn't mean anything since your range will vary due to a lot of factors. Just change it to percentage and don't stress over it. Who knows, maybe with another update they can change the constant and make the displayed range higher or perhaps even lower.

doubt it, my stealth performance is showing 307 miles atm at around 5k miles but i suspect this is due to it sitting at 60% SOC for one month which probably confused the BMS slightly and it might need a deep discharge.

It only adjusts the 310 miles down to... I think 300 or whatever it was when you have the 20" wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla just updated the wh/mi rating for the 2020 performance with performance upgrade package..its now rated at 260wh/mi on 2020.4.1
was rated at 264wh/mi on 2019.40.50.7

using teslamate to log my data and it had previously derived the value of 264wh/mi..but since the update it has been increasing in 260wh/mi logs and no more at 264wh/mi so it seems the new constant is 260wh/mi for now (until they change it again in an update)

View attachment 509515

Yep. This was noted in another thread around here not too long ago. Thanks for confirming with your method the value of the constant, which is what I expected from EPA calculations, after energy adjustment.

Original report:
Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

Constant, etc. tracking:

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

Well my Model 3 P shows 268 miles at 91% state of charge. I sometimes charge to 95 % knowing it will drop to 90% by time I get home. Anyway 268/0.91 = 294 miles range at 100%.

I thought that was low. But then my efficiency is around 70% anyway. So max range would be 70% of 294. Less than 207 miles.

Oh well even then it's good mpg as petrol here is £5.50 gbp per gallon. Works out at over 115mpg at total range of 207 miles per 74kwh.

I expect when spring arrives the efficiency will get better. Not sure the range will though.

I forgot to mention I think sentry mode and warming up for superchargers contributes to my low efficiency along with lots of 60-70mph motorway driving.

Sentry mode because a lot of street and car parks parking for me. Sentry mode uses 4 times more energy than without. Like 24 miles a day vs 6 miles a day with it turned off.

On travelling to superchargers I've seen 800-900 wh per mile even driving at 20mph (speed limit for a lot of London roads).

Well my Model 3 P shows 268 miles at 91% state of charge. I sometimes charge to 95 % knowing it will drop to 90% by time I get home. Anyway 268/0.91 = 294 miles range at 100%.

I thought that was low. But then my efficiency is around 70% anyway. So max range would be 70% of 294. Less than 207 miles.

Oh well even then it's good mpg as petrol here is £5.50 gbp per gallon. Works out at over 115mpg at total range of 207 miles per 74kwh.

I expect when spring arrives the efficiency will get better. Not sure the range will though.

In the US, update 2020.4.1 resolved the 294 mile discrepancy. 2020 20" Model 3 P are now showing 299 rated miles, with a new lower constant of ~260Wh/rmi (used to be ~264Wh/rmi), when their battery capacity is at or above the 'maximum' available energy of 77.6kWh. None of this applies to 2018 and 2019 vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: UkrHog