Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance Tire Question

Do 18" wheel / tire combos work with the 2021 M3P Specifically (Not 2020 or earlier)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm picking up my new Model 3 Performance in a few days. In advance, I've looked for all the threads / webpages / Youtube videos / etc I could about using smaller 18" or 19" tires.

However, when I went to order a winter wheel set from TireRack they told me that they test all of their wheels / tires and in their experience 18" combos don't fit on the 2021 Model 3 Performance. They claim the issue isn't the brake rotors, but rather that they don't work with the M3P's electronic parking break, and say they didn't find this issue with 2020 M3Ps or older. Based on this claim, I got a 19" package with these wheels and these tires for $2,400 (with TPMS).

Can anyone with a 2021 MP3 confirm if this electronic parking break issue is true? If not I'd have chosen the same combo in 18" (these wheels + these tires) for $1,000 less.

Thanks!

Some 18" wheels do fit, for instance the FastWheels EV01+ in 18" fits, I have them on my car which is a 2021. One challenge in general for the performance model 3 is the brake rotor has a weird lip at the center ring, so wheels need to be machined to allow for that. I can not think of any reason that the parking brake causes any specific issue here.

Anyway FastWheels EV wheels and Martian Wheels and others that target Tesla have 18s that fit and are indicated as such to fit.

I have Fast FC04s and they do fit at 18" but barely. In fact the wheel weights were rubbing on the calipers it was so tight. 18" can fit but 19" would give you a bit more clearance. I wish I had bought 19" and saved myself the frustration. If this is a new problem for 2021 it would explain why I was offered the 18" set in the first place.

I have the 2021 M3P.

Reactions: RefreshedP
Great post. I am dealing with this today in fact. I bought a set of MSW 18" rims and Viking 18" tires from Tire Rack. Their online configurator said they would work. So....ordered them up and put them on. They fit around the caliper, BUT, if there are wheel weights mounted on the inboard side of the rim, the wheel weights will cause a continual and subtle "thunk thunk thunk".
SO, I'm working with tire rack to see what to do. I put on 60 miles, they 'work', and I see no damage. (the soft weights will of course give before the car).
So, couldyou use them....probably. Should you....dunno. Just don't mount weights on the inner side? THe fronts seem to clear just fine. And, to be clear, the red caliper clears the 18" rim OK, but it is the annodized circular part that sticks out of the back of the caliper that clicks. To be updated when I hear more from TR.

Hi all,

I'm picking up my new Model 3 Performance in a few days. In advance, I've looked for all the threads / webpages / Youtube videos / etc I could about using smaller 18" or 19" tires.

However, when I went to order a winter wheel set from TireRack they told me that they test all of their wheels / tires and in their experience 18" combos don't fit on the 2021 Model 3 Performance. They claim the issue isn't the brake rotors, but rather that they don't work with the M3P's electronic parking break, and say they didn't find this issue with 2020 M3Ps or older. Based on this claim, I got a 19" package with these wheels and these tires for $2,400 (with TPMS).

Can anyone with a 2021 MP3 confirm if this electronic parking break issue is true? If not I'd have chosen the same combo in 18" (these wheels + these tires) for $1,000 less.

Thanks!
Aside from those Wheels being full inch narrower than the wheels on your performance (which are 9 x 20 although a lot of people think that extra half inch is wasted unless you mounted a 265/30-20 Tire on them) the other question is whether they have a lip that will allow them to mount properly. Because the performance models have an extra thin steel rotor hat, there is a rib sticking out from the Hub that must be accommodated in the wheel. If it's not, the wheel will not Mount. Tire Rack should know this, but then again maybe you got somebody who didn't know you were putting it on or performance car with performance rotors. This issue is obviated if you go to aftermarket rotors with their thicker rotor hats that cover up the lip. If these wheels do not have that lip cut into the Hub surface, do not attempt to mount them. It will be extremely unsafe and you will damage them and not be able to send them back to tire rack.