Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 pics from staff thank you party.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually there have been many photos of the Model 3 glass roof, including on Tesla's own web page about the Model 3 Model 3 | Tesla

Your web page is factually incorrect. The silver Model 3 prototype has always had the glass roof. It has not changed.

Your intent in starting this thread was simply to drive traffic to your own website.

I fixed the words on my page,, thanks for pointing out the things, I love positive feedback... :)

There has to be some sort of instrument cluster in front of the driver
No, there does not. It is not required by US law. If someone purchases a base Model 3 without AP (software, Elon has said every 3 will have the AP hardware) then all the driver needs to know could be shown on the center screen. The difference between glancing down at a traditional driver's display and glancing slightly to the right is inconsequential.

Elon said it himself: everything will make sense at the final reveal. The "spaceship controls" will come into play.

Ye4HTh.jpg

Yes it is looking good indeed but they still have to integrate that hanging screen properly to the dash - the way it is now is a recipe to resonate freely on uneven road.
I think you are saying, "it is important to push the natural frequency up, to as high as you can get it, on the screen mount."

I think natural frequency goes as thickness to the 1.5 (or to some positive power). There is room for a 3 inch diameter bezel entirely below the line of the dash. So if the screen is mounted on something that is sized like the lower half of an analog speedometer, you should be OK.

I think you are saying, "it is important to push the natural frequency up, to as high as you can get it, on the screen mount."

I think natural frequency goes as thickness to the 1.5 (or to some positive power). There is room for a 3 inch diameter bezel entirely below the line of the dash. So if the screen is mounted on something that is sized like the lower half of an analog speedometer, you should be OK.

IMO the weight of the screen held by an attachment with elasticity gives rise to free vibration - a bit like a cantilever beam with a tip mass.

p13941_09_obr09.png

You can make the beam (screen attachment) reasonably rigid but it will still bend and vibrate. On the other hand, if you attach the other end securely (fix screen to dash), you are effectively reducing free vibration to negligible levels.

Is it required? no
Is it logical? yes

Read between the lines. what in the interior now reminds you of a space ship?

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask why? Also, what would be on it if speed is displayed on the center panel?

No, there does not. It is not required by US law. If someone purchases a base Model 3 without AP (software, Elon has said every 3 will have the AP hardware) then all the driver needs to know could be shown on the center screen. The difference between glancing down at a traditional driver's display and glancing slightly to the right is inconsequential.

Apologize if this has been pointed out before, but I just noticed that there are possibly side door pockets on that Model 3. We don't even have door pockets on the Model S yet! Its the little things...

Also, are those seats perforated/ventilated? Currently, only Performance Model S's have that option...

Looks like an upgraded trim model. Could have rear heat too with the center console part of the original design.

Reactions: Model S M.D.

Might not be required by law, but I find the single, off center console with nothing else, bare and awkward to say the least (for a car that is not 100% driver-less). Minimalistic is OK, but stark and bare, at least for me is too much. I find it hard to believe that this is the final cockpit layout. I for one don't want to be looking slightly to the right; maybe inconsequential for some, but also inconvenient for many... If I want to be look slightly to the right, at least it would be a human of appropriate attractiveness...:D

IMO the weight of the screen held by an attachment with elasticity gives rise to free vibration - a bit like a cantilever beam with a tip mass.

p13941_09_obr09.png

You can make the beam (screen attachment) reasonably rigid but it will still bend and vibrate. On the other hand, if you attach the other end securely (fix screen to dash), you are effectively reducing free vibration to negligible levels.

Yeah, I agree. But it looks like there is room under the dash line to do that (to the bottom half of the screen) with no visual clutter. I think we are saying the same thing. Except maybe I think the the top half of the screen requires no support, and you think it does...

Maybe Tesla will triple the thickness of the screen to raise the first natural frequency by (3*3*3)^.5, or a factor of 5.

Maybe you are right. The entire bezel may want to be faired into the dash. I like the way it looks now.