Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 pics from staff thank you party.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially thought the high-mounted speedo on my 2011 Civic was weird - but it works remarkably well in that you don't have to move your eyes to see it, and you don't have to refocus.

If they implement something as simple as a HUD speed display on the windshield (like this $25 GPS HUD Speedometer), everything else could be on the center screen and I'd be happy.

I wonder if putting some vibration dampening on the display mount could actually make it better (easier to read on rough roads) than something rigidly fixed to the car?

Oh, man, extend your idea - build in the OIS hardware from a camera, and let the display auto-stabilize itself in space while you're bouncing down that dirt road...That would be so cool.

• Funny
Reactions: MissAutobahn
Mini already did that long ago, it was strange looking to the right though:

3796.jpg

2011-mini-cooper-s-speedometer-photo-356845-s-1280x782.jpg

Is it required? no
Is it logical? yes

Why is it logical?
It is not required, it is not needed, so logically, it will not happen.

Tesla engineers during test drive have repeatedly said that the interior is pretty much done.
So don't expect HUD in the base car.

Read between the lines. what in the interior now reminds you of a space ship?

Not sure what Elon meant, but definitely not HUD.

Why is it logical?
It is not required, it is not needed, so logically, it will not happen.

Tesla engineers during test drive have repeatedly said that the interior is pretty much done.
So don't expect HUD in the base car.

Not sure what Elon meant, but definitely not HUD.
There is no way the interior is done I have feeling something great is cooking, the way Tesla works there will be element of surprise when the part 3 happens. The orders will go through the roof.

Reactions: Bennny

I've seen the same videos and took it to mean that they had pretty much completed the design of the interior (they seemed to be confident on the screen size and orientation, ventilation, etc). That does not mean however that the design they SHOWED it in their prototype. Look back at Model X prototypes vs the finished design.

Elon eluded to a spaceship-like interior and a second unveiling that will elicit another large batch of reservations. put two and two together..I won't say I'm certain that a HUD is the big unveiling as he may have come up with something else that nobody expects, but I'd be willing to bet that the interior they've shown is far from the finished version we'll see in a few months.

Elon eluded to a spaceship-like interior and a second unveiling that will elicit another large batch of reservations. put two and two together..I won't say I'm certain that a HUD is the big unveiling as he may have come up with something else that nobody expects, but I'd be willing to bet that the interior they've shown is far from the finished version we'll see in a few months.

While the interior can and probably will change somewhat from what was shown at the first reveal, when he referred to spaceship Elon was referring only to the steering, his actual tweet was "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

During the reveal there were a couple of times where the test drivers said that the intention was for all of the usual dashboard information to be displayed on the screen. Personally, I'd love to see a HUD, but I wont be surprised if there a lot of disappointed people out there since it seems like there are quite a few putting all their hopes into one.

On the other hand it might be one of those self-fulfilling rumors where Tesla sees the popularity of it and adds it even though it was never on the drawing board. Assuming they can do it for the right price.

I've seen the same videos and took it to mean that they had pretty much completed the design of the interior (they seemed to be confident on the screen size and orientation, ventilation, etc). That does not mean however that the design they SHOWED it in their prototype. Look back at Model X prototypes vs the finished design.

There is no way the current interior will be in the final Model 3. The screen will have to be flush mounted (this is harder to do in prototypes, i.e. see Model X) as afaik both US as well as EU regulations will not tolerate sharp objects in the cabin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Model 3
There is no way the current interior will be in the final Model 3. The screen will have to flush mounted (this is harder to do in prototypes, i.e. see Model X) as afaik both US as well as EU regulations will not tolerate sharp objects in the cabin.
At this point after seeing it a few times, I don't believe it will be flush mounted. It would lose a lot of the simplicity and would look almost bulbous. Unless someone wants to do an artist's rendition of what they think a flush mounted landscape display would look like... I'd be interested to see people's ideas.

Reactions: Red Sage
At this point after seeing it a few times, I don't believe it will be flush mounted. It would lose a lot of the simplicity and would look almost bulbous. Unless someone wants to do an artist's rendition of what they think a flush mounted landscape display would look like... I'd be interested to see people's ideas.

If you want to believe you need to go to church. Meanwhile Tesla has to conform with regulations. Yes, cameras as side mirrors and saving 5% of energy consumption would be nice too. But it's not gonna hapen.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2013/10/2014-Toyota-Prius-Plug-in-center-stack-1.jpg
url

There you go. A standard landscape display in a car.

The new Sclass has an even more horizontal screen.

http://image.automotive.com/f/2016_mercedes-benz_s-class/144045239/steering-wheel.jpg

If you want to believe you need to go to church. Meanwhile Tesla has to conform with regulations. Yes, cameras as side mirrors and saving 5% of energy consumption would be nice too. But it's not gonna hapen.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2013/10/2014-Toyota-Prius-Plug-in-center-stack-1.jpg
url

There you go. A standard landscape display in a car.

The new Sclass has an even more horizontal screen.

http://image.automotive.com/f/2016_mercedes-benz_s-class/144045239/steering-wheel.jpg
Those are both very small in comparision and in addition cause you to lose both visibility and legroom in the areas where it needs to taper off or extends to the instrument cluster.

The Model 3 as is will not have these issues.

Also, if you moved the screen lower to integrate with the dash then you'd lose the ability to see your speed while still looking forward which was one of the selling points mentioned by the engineers at launch.

It just seems the more I see the prototype interior the more it grows on me.