Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Hope everyone is well. I have a few questions regarding my old and new model 3.

I have a ordered a new model 3 and am selling my 2019 LRAWD. It has lifetime premium connectivity, I’m wondering if it this is transferable when selling the car?

I’ve about 9000 supercharging miles. Will these stay on my account for use with the new car?

Regarding the new LRAWD Model 3, does it come with mats, charging cables etc these days? I recall it changed various times over the last 2 years.

Are the old 18inch Aeros compatible with the 2021 model? I vaguely remember reading that the TPMS may be different? I use the aero wheels for winter tires, if compatible it would save me switching them onto the new Aeros which I would probably sell.

Anyone here who’s gone from a 2019 > 2021 noticed anything they weren’t expecting when upgrading?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure about the premium connectivity but Tesla do have form for turning things off on change of ownership. If you use the same e-mail address for the new car then your miles won't disappear as mine transferred over despite being without a car for 6 weeks. Yes it will come with mats, usual cables, UMC and Type 2 and don't forget to check in the glovebox for the USB dongle for sentry mode.

Reactions: -DB-
Premium connectivity won’t transfer and depending when you order may now only be 1 month free

Supercharging should be fine. When I switched to a Model 3 from a Model S which had free supercharging I was pleasantly surprised to find I’d got some referral miles waiting from previous referrals. The caveat is they’ve now stopped referral miles so I guess things could have changed since

You’re right about the TPMS senators, rumoured to have changed last year. But I’d just try them and if the worst happens I think new aren’t horrendously expensive.

Cable wise should be the same. The type 2 cable is now shorter (4m not 7m from memory) and the UMC doesn’t come with the 16A commando anymore - but £30 or so from Tesla if you wanted one. Mats no change although the frunk doesn’t have one anymore

The big differences will be changes that came in at the end of last year, heat pump and dechrome. Wireless charging is now also standard, and while the front glass is laminated/double glazed, it doesn’t seem to have made much difference to noise although I think the general perception of everything is just a bit tighter and bether screwed together if that makes any sense

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and -DB-
I was informed by my SC that the only way free supercharger miles transfer between cars is if both are still owned at the time of registering the newer vehicle. If a Tesla is sold and/or re registered to a new account then all remaining miles are cleared.

My account shows 03/05/2024 as the expiry date for all remaining SC miles so if I have been told that if decide to purchase a Model Y before that time, I need to sell the Model 3 afterwards in order to retain the remainder (if I do, I will).

I was informed by my SC that the only way free supercharger miles transfer between cars is if both are still owned at the time of registering the newer vehicle. If a Tesla is sold and/or re registered to a new account then all remaining miles are cleared.

My account shows 03/05/2024 as the expiry date for all remaining SC miles so if I have been told that if decide to purchase a Model Y before that time, I need to sell the Model 3 afterwards in order to retain the remainder (if I do, I will).
Just place the order before the old car is removed from the account. I was told to do that and the miles all stayed in the account. Registering the new car is not a requirement

The supercharging miles carry over seems to have created a mixture of results. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla staff don't really know as its the type of thing that is all managed from the US. It's a bit like applying a referral after an order had been made, some said it was impossible, others seemed to be able to do it (not that they exist anymore). All I know is that I had referrals already on my account when my M3 arrived and I had a short gap when there were no cars on the account between selling and buying, but that said my previous car had free sueprcharging so I hadn't dipped into the miles by then (although what did surprise me was havinbg free supercharging meant I should have just had 2 entries into the free draw). Even with the source code we might struggle to work out how it actually works! Logic wiould suggest having both cars on the account at the same time would be the safest option

The supercharging miles carry over seems to have created a mixture of results. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla staff don't really know as its the type of thing that is all managed from the US. It's a bit like applying a referral after an order had been made, some said it was impossible, others seemed to be able to do it (not that they exist anymore). All I know is that I had referrals already on my account when my M3 arrived and I had a short gap when there were no cars on the account between selling and buying, but that said my previous car had free sueprcharging so I hadn't dipped into the miles by then (although what did surprise me was havinbg free supercharging meant I should have just had 2 entries into the free draw). Even with the source code we might struggle to work out how it actually works! Logic wiould suggest having both cars on the account at the same time would be the safest option
It's not all managed from the US, in the EU (and UK) it is managed from Amsterdam.

My experience at times is the same question gets different answers from Tesla staff. I also thought all software was developed in Fremont which is what seems to be the point, it certainly doesn't change the thrust of the point.

Many people come on the forums because there are generally more informed people with a longer history of Tesla than some of the Tesla staff. The Tesla website is also often out of date. If you look at the self driving pages it still promotes the forward Radar as part of the hardware and required yet they stopped adding it months back to the M3. Anecdotal evidence is therefore sadly often the only accurate answer.

OP - one difference I've not seen mentioned is the radar has now gone, some same the Vision only Autopilot has taken a step back as a result.

OP - one difference I've not seen mentioned is the radar has now gone, some same the Vision only Autopilot has taken a step back as a result.
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that change!
Just place the order before the old car is removed from the account. I was told to do that and the miles all stayed in the account. Registering the new car is not a requirement
Thanks. I've placed the order, not planning on selling or removing the existing car from my account until nearer delivery time.

Many people come on the forums because there are generally more informed people with a longer history of Tesla than some of the Tesla staff. The Tesla website is also often out of date. If you look at the self driving pages it still promotes the forward Radar as part of the hardware and required yet they stopped adding it months back to the M3. Anecdotal evidence is therefore sadly often the only accurate answer.

Only for Fremont built cars for the US market. Last I heard, its still there for other builds and markets although it is destined to be deactivated I believe as and when TeslaVision achieves radar based levels of performance (with hopefully the promised reduction in phantom braking) and I guess the relevant safety reassessments. This could be a release away, 2 weeks, months, by end of the year, years, definitely by the end of some year.

So thats yet another different answer...

• Informative
Reactions: DrJFoster