Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - Rattling / Noise Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 RWD here with 10k miles. I've had a rattle in my driver seatbelt adjuster for a bit now, and one in the rear passenger door. SC sorted out the belt adjuster rattle, but I'm sad to report that the rear door is actually much worse than before after they spend 2-3 hours.

I'm well glad that the bit by my head is no longer a rattle, but annoyed as can be that the other rattle is worse.

Question now is- I'm handy enough, have gaff and felt tape as well as the silicone spray one poster had recommended; any good reason not to pop off that panel and go to town myself?
I asked a tech about this, they said once you start messing with stuff, future rattles are not covered under warranty.

3 year old model 3, somewhere near the right rear seat rattles a bit, took everything appart, applied some filt strips.. but keeps rattling.
Very light rattle in the driver door and rattle in the left rear passanger door.
Also a light rattle in the dash.

I only hear the rattles when the music is off.

I now have come to the conclusion that I have the embrace the rattles and just turn to music volume up a notch. I'm not feeling like tearin half the car appart to fix some rattles.

I’ve had my M3P about 6 weeks now. I seem to have the speaker grill rattle in the front left on anything but smooth roads and there is some noise I can’t tell if it’s in the door or the b pillar by my head but i only hear it if I’m doing 80km/hr (50mph) or faster. I don’t hear anything at low speeds. Is that likely the seat belt adjuster? It sounds metallic as if the wind is getting in somewhere at speed and making something vibrate.

Everyone who's into DIY rattle fixes, a good tool to use is a frequency generator app on your phone. Playback low frequency sounds very loudly through the car speakers and it should let you pinpoint most of the interior rattles and allow you to apply felt tape in the most effective manner. Most rattles will resonate between 40-120hz or so.

I've used it to quell most of the interior rattles, give it a try!

I’ve had my M3P about 6 weeks now. I seem to have the speaker grill rattle in the front left on anything but smooth roads and there is some noise I can’t tell if it’s in the door or the b pillar by my head but i only hear it if I’m doing 80km/hr (50mph) or faster. I don’t hear anything at low speeds. Is that likely the seat belt adjuster? It sounds metallic as if the wind is getting in somewhere at speed and making something vibrate.
Hi, I have a similar noise on my new M3P. Did you solve it? Does it persist?

I picked up my model 3 performance a few weeks ago and the noise inside the cabin was perfect. No issues whatsoever and build quality seemed amazing. I have about 300 miles on the car right now and it seems like every time I go for a drive, I am hearing some new rattling noise inside the car.

The first one I noticed was near the upper seat belt area of the passenger side. Now I am hearing significant rattling inside the steering wheel column and a new one that just came yesterday inside the door panels on the passenger side.

Has anyone else had these issues? I have a service appointment in a few weeks to fix unrelated issues. Wondering if this is common and if the service center is able to fix rattling noises.

I am hoping these types of issues do not progress with every 100 miles driven as they seem to be now.
regarding rim - B pilar. felt fixes it.. or just book a service.

but overall, I had so many rattles that I am losing hope.. already had 4 service centre appointments in 9 months and another one is due soon... all for rattles

Every late model rental car I pickup from National Car rental has some sort of dash/seat/headliner rattle. I have a Dodge Durango RT4 and it has the nastiest seat/door rattle. I had a Toyota Highlander rental and it had a footwell rattle. I just live with my Tesla rattles.

Same history here. after a month my model 3 started having rattles all over the place.

It all started when the SC replaced a cracked windscreen. They didn’t adjust the wiper feeds and the tubes caused a new rattle.

Problem is .. every time SC tries to address a rattle a new one appears. Or an old one reappears. I now have a rattle they supposedly fixed 3 service appointments ago.

I can live with it but annoys me quite a bit. I clearly got a lemon. My theory is that my car was half built when the Shanghai factory went into lockdown. Then it was picked up months later by a different team who wasn’t as good.

Just as everyone in this thread, I have multiple rattles in my Model 3 (less than 3 months old, 6k miles). The one that bothers me the most seems to be coming from the air vents. It's a low vibration and it seems like the sounds of flimsy plastic, which I assume is the mechanism to control the flow.
Has anyone else experienced the same, and if so, has the SC fixed it?

Reactions: AUSEd
My 3P is 6 months old and done 7,500kms i have the following
1. Creaks in the driver seat (at the top)
2. Creak in the A-Pillar
3. Clicking sound near B-Pillar and door when over some bumps.
4. When reversing down driveway I hear a flex/creak from the boot.

Telsa AUS have said Creaks/Rattles are wear and tear and not warrantable. They quoted me $500 to fix and I declined. It is terrible quality. How do I block it out - I turn up the music.

In 4.5 years time, I will finish the lease and sell the car. Hopefully quality has improved and I will buy another one. I tell friends and others 'Telsas are not a luxury car. They are expensive cars made by a technology company, so lower your expectations'. Time will tell if Highland 3 are better. I suspect not, mass produced cars!

My 3P is 6 months old and done 7,500kms i have the following
1. Creaks in the driver seat (at the top)
2. Creak in the A-Pillar
3. Clicking sound near B-Pillar and door when over some bumps.
4. When reversing down driveway I hear a flex/creak from the boot.

Telsa AUS have said Creaks/Rattles are wear and tear and not warrantable. They quoted me $500 to fix and I declined. It is terrible quality. How do I block it out - I turn up the music.

In 4.5 years time, I will finish the lease and sell the car. Hopefully quality has improved and I will buy another one. I tell friends and others 'Telsas are not a luxury car. They are expensive cars made by a technology company, so lower your expectations'. Time will tell if Highland 3 are better. I suspect not, mass produced cars!
1) if driver/passenger seat upper part - most likely there is the plastic part (like thick washer) inside seat, on the metal sort of bars/rails which moved from it's place and causes this creak. You need to remove plastic cover on the rear for your/passenger seat in order to see it. Once you will see it - it will be clear... There was forum post here in the forum some time ago which had visual instructions... cannot find it now.. Part I am talking about is like washer which fixes those 2 metal bars inside the seat and prevent rubbing. it falls out sometimes.. :/ Rangers even used electric tape to fix it.

2) try to push some of the plastics to see if helps... also try to use some Gummi Pfelge ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly...4?keywords=gummi-pflege&qid=1707212404&sr=8-4) or something like that for rubber seals - these tends to dry out and du to frameless windows, there is some flex where doors move and rubs, creates creaking noises. annoys me as hell, and I re-apply this thing like every 3 months on all door rubber seals

3) Check - it might be the plastic cover of the seat belt height adjuster... need some felt.. and you can either put that felt in between the gap to stop it rattling, or remove plastic trim and and this from the inside.

4) Check maybe it is the seat "leather" which is cheap pvc *sugar* and it rubs one seat to another. they to put micro fibre between all gaps in the seat (60/40 fold, fold crease between side bolster and seat) and see if this help to sort it out...