Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Registration in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Bollar,

Thanks for that, I was getting confused on what had transpired at the delivery.
It happened quite fast... :)

I have been driving it around with my next door neighbor and he aske ab out it and I did not remember.

Cheers,
Eric B.

Hi Bollar,

Thanks for that, I was getting confused on what had transpired at the delivery.
It happened quite fast... :)

I have been driving it around with my next door neighbor and he aske ab out it and I did not remember.

Cheers,
Eric B.
FYI, I panicked about the 30-day temporary tag expiring, which happened two days before my permanent plates were ready to pick up at the County Tax Assessor/Collector office. Later, with the temp tag lying on my kitchen counter I noticed that had I flipped it over, I had another 30 days. D'oh!

After weeks of no updates or replies to my emails, I was told that there was an issue with the Vehicle Inspection Reports system in September. As a result, my registration was never completed, and I have to bring it back in to complete this process. My second 30 day registration expires on 11/5.

So I am also in this boat and find myself confused. I only have a few days left on my temp and not really sure what happens next.

I haven't received anything from Tesla since I signed up all the forms and my adviser hasn't responded at all. I am not sure how I get a car plated if I don't have the title in my hand. I feel some idiot instructions would have been useful.

All help welcome.

Is there a way to find out on the progress of our registration/plate? I looked a bit t Texas DMV site and didn't find anything.

Still have plenty of time with my first temp tag expiring 11/25, but just hoping it's in progress and not sitting idle due to something I didn't know to fix.

So I am also in this boat and find myself confused. I only have a few days left on my temp and not really sure what happens next.

I haven't received anything from Tesla since I signed up all the forms and my adviser hasn't responded at all. I am not sure how I get a car plated if I don't have the title in my hand. I feel some idiot instructions would have been useful.

All help welcome.
Did you check the other side for an additional 30 days? Or have you already flipped it?

My S plates came just before the temp tags expired.

It seems to vary a lot on how fast you get the permanent plates. I took delivery 3rd week of September and I got my plates within 3 weeks.....and didn't put the plate on until the morning after the second temp permit (on the back of the first, as Dr. J mentions) expired.

Can't get a ticket for no front plate if I don't put the metal one on the back. *taps temple knowingly* ;)

Reactions: Dr. J
Tesla royally screwed my delivery on 10/8.

I still have no plates. Have called them repeatedly because both temp tags are now expired. I finally got ahold of someone new at the North Houston service center, she was able to get me a 3rd temp tag, but I still have no idea when I'll get the registration and plates.

In addition, the finance department still hasn't gotten the correct paperwork to my lender. My lender has not started my loan, nor has Tesla received a check from them. The car has 3500 miles on it and it's been 8 weeks and Tesla still hasn't been paid for it. I gave my lender the direct phone number of the Tesla finance department and they tried to call them several times, but could never get anything resolved. The lender finally called me and told me they still hadn't received the Dealer Funding Request, and that they weren't going to baby-sit it anymore.

So, if anyone at Tesla is reading, feel free to request your money.

Tesla royally screwed my delivery on 10/8.

I still have no plates. Have called them repeatedly because both temp tags are now expired. I finally got ahold of someone new at the North Houston service center, she was able to get me a 3rd temp tag, but I still have no idea when I'll get the registration and plates.

In addition, the finance department still hasn't gotten the correct paperwork to my lender. My lender has not started my loan, nor has Tesla received a check from them. The car has 3500 miles on it and it's been 8 weeks and Tesla still hasn't been paid for it. I gave my lender the direct phone number of the Tesla finance department and they tried to call them several times, but could never get anything resolved. The lender finally called me and told me they still hadn't received the Dealer Funding Request, and that they weren't going to baby-sit it anymore.

So, if anyone at Tesla is reading, feel free to request your money.

I took delivery 10/26, plates look to be coming via FedEx today. For financing, I think a lot of the convo was between my lender and my Inside Delivery Advisor. Sometimes I was the middle man in the process, but I never had contact with Tesla financing.

I took delivery 10/26, plates look to be coming via FedEx today. For financing, I think a lot of the convo was between my lender and my Inside Delivery Advisor. Sometimes I was the middle man in the process, but I never had contact with Tesla financing.
Curiously, as far as I know, my IDA and my lender never talked to each other. They had each other's emails and such but I did all the in-between, including prodding when one or the other was slacking. It was the slower part of the operation, partially because I was at the start of a holiday for 10 days when I first got the email about the vehicle, and I'd not nailed down the last details on financing (wasn't expecting to get notification in August). The plates were the smooth part, got those in well under a month even though I had to resend the proof of insurance (the renewal had occurred during the process, so the one they had was out of date).

Ugg, that's brutal @SomeJoe7777 . Good they got you a 3rd temp. I've heard that in other States the owners end up on the hook for those costs. :eek: If they really have the process going on the plates it should be okay now, as it took mine less than a month to come through.

So I'm on my 3rd temp tag which expires later this month. I've already heard reports of other people still not getting their plates after their 3rd and final tag expired.
Samer Albahra on Twitter
A rep at Tesla said that rule changes to the way Tesla can obtain plates has made the process much slower than a typical dealer can get plates and that there's basically nothing they can do about that. Its even more frustrating that I can't even monitor the progress of my registration and plates at all.