Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 SR owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I just got my model 3 RWD, so are there any tips to remember as a first time Tesla owner. Appreciate the community’s help.

Also, I saw the all weather mats on Tesla’s website out of stock. Do people put in 3rd party mats? If yes, then which ones would you recommend.

I used Tuxmats. They hold up really well to winter and spring dirt here in Canada. I wash them when I do my first spring deep clean and again in later fall before winter, and they always look new.

Had them on my last car and bought them for my Model 3.

If you have the means and you care enough about your cars paint, get PPF asap. Tesla's paint is notoriously fragile, you don't need full body just the front should be good enough. I will cost you a pretty penny but for many its worth it.

If you like stats there are many apps and websites that will track your battery charge, efficiently, battery degradation, etc. Many are monthly fees but you can host some yourself and pay nothing, I recommend teslamate (Docker install | TeslaMate).

IMO don't get a tesla wall charger if you plan on it, just get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed and use the mobile charger. you don't need much more than that.

Set up sentry mode and set it up so that it is off when its at home or at work (basically have it on anywhere you think your car has a chance of getting damaged). Don't keep it on all the time it will drain your battery, unless you don't care about that.

I live in Texas where it hails at least once a year, the first 2 months of having mine it hailed during work and my car was the only car that had any type of hail damage. I bought a hail cover for my car. If you park in the garage or under an awning you should be fine.

Lastly battery stuff, you probably have an LFP battery. So, setting your charge limit to 100% daily is an option for you and is recommended by Tesla. Personally I would charge it to 100% once a week, for the rest of the week try to keep it as close to 50% as possible. Try to not charge at DC supercharging stations if you can, it does degrade the battery a bit more than AC charging. But all of this battery talk is just a suggestion, you'll be fine with what ever you decide to do.

sidenote: If you live in the US and in one of the applicable states, you can get tesla insurance. Tesla insurance premiums are quite low compared to other insurance companies.

Thats my 2 cents! Obviously I'm not saying you have to do all or any of these to have a good experience, do what ever is most convenient to you. At the end of the day Teslas are a lot like any other car, just drive and have fun with it.

Welcome to the community!

If you have the means and you care enough about your cars paint, get PPF asap. Tesla's paint is notoriously fragile, you don't need full body just the front should be good enough. I will cost you a pretty penny but for many its worth it.

If you like stats there are many apps and websites that will track your battery charge, efficiently, battery degradation, etc. Many are monthly fees but you can host some yourself and pay nothing, I recommend teslamate (Docker install | TeslaMate).

IMO don't get a tesla wall charger if you plan on it, just get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed and use the mobile charger. you don't need much more than that.

Set up sentry mode and set it up so that it is off when its at home or at work (basically have it on anywhere you think your car has a chance of getting damaged). Don't keep it on all the time it will drain your battery, unless you don't care about that.

I live in Texas where it hails at least once a year, the first 2 months of having mine it hailed during work and my car was the only car that had any type of hail damage. I bought a hail cover for my car. If you park in the garage or under an awning you should be fine.

Lastly battery stuff, you probably have an LFP battery. So, setting your charge limit to 100% daily is an option for you and is recommended by Tesla. Personally I would charge it to 100% once a week, for the rest of the week try to keep it as close to 50% as possible. Try to not charge at DC supercharging stations if you can, it does degrade the battery a bit more than AC charging. But all of this battery talk is just a suggestion, you'll be fine with what ever you decide to do.

sidenote: If you live in the US and in one of the applicable states, you can get tesla insurance. Tesla insurance premiums are quite low compared to other insurance companies.

Thats my 2 cents! Obviously I'm not saying you have to do all or any of these to have a good experience, do what ever is most convenient to you. At the end of the day Teslas are a lot like any other car, just drive and have fun with it.

oh for your main question! I got these All-Weather Floor Mats for Model 3, and I haven't has any problems.

I went with Lasfit floor mats - posted it in the floor mat thread:
I've had 5 or so different mats in our Model 3 and Model Y. I just reviewed the Lasfit mats and was quite impressed (posting the review video later this week at MI Tesla Guy on Youtube). I think they are a great value for the price. The other mats I have and LOVE are the 3dmaxpyder mats. Those are my favorite mats. But they are also about $100 USD more than the Lasfit mats. If price is no concern, I recommend the 3dmaxpyder mats. If price is a concern (or a very important consideration), I recommend the Lasfit mats.

You *can* get PPF later on (let's say, within a year). A reputable PPF installer will paint correct/touch up before they install the PPF.

Going on 2 years with my rwd Sr+. Minimal problems. Mobile charge cable replaced under warranty at my house. Cruise control recently fixed at service center under warranty. Mostly charge at home up to 90% using mobile charge cable and 14-50 outlet. Some supercharger use on long trips. Can easily do 200 mile trips in one go after charging to 100% if I stay below 71 mph. I switch to snow tires in the winter and drive confidently in the snow. Have fun!

Reactions: rpiotro