Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - Transport Damage Query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been awaiting the arrival of my new Model 3 and I managed to get a look at the car as it recently arrived off the transporter, so it hasn't been prepared for delivery just yet.

The car looks great but sadly I found one area of damage seemingly during transport under the lip of the front bumper, looks like it's scraped across something and damaged the paint and into the plastic.

Thankfully it's not in a hugely noticeable area, but you can see it and I am curious what could/should be done about it?

Obviously it's a very expensive car and things should be perfect, but I'm wondering what others would feel in my situation and what would be acceptable as a resolution?

Attachments

• 20210621_110526443_iOS.jpg
    20210621_110526443_iOS.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210621_111729800_iOS.jpg
    20210621_111729800_iOS.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210621_111236190_iOS.jpg
    20210621_111236190_iOS.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 118
I've been awaiting the arrival of my new Model 3 and I managed to get a look at the car as it recently arrived off the transporter, so it hasn't been prepared for delivery just yet.

The car looks great but sadly I found one area of damage seemingly during transport under the lip of the front bumper, looks like it's scraped across something and damaged the paint and into the plastic.

Thankfully it's not in a hugely noticeable area, but you can see it and I am curious what could/should be done about it?

Obviously it's a very expensive car and things should be perfect, but I'm wondering what others would feel in my situation and what would be acceptable as a resolution?

An invisible repair is what I would expect. As you say it's not a routinely visible part of the car unless looking underneath but you are entitled to have it fixed professionally.

Reactions: Durzel
Official resolution is probably either re-spray or replace bumper, but TBH every operation like that would be a risk of more damage (its not like they aren't careful, but every time someone else drives the car there is a chance they do something you wouldn't to it). You could try for some free SC miles to make up for it or ask for a tesla T-shirt. If they sold the paint repair kits in the UK I'd maybe ask for that, but they don't.

But its not really worth rejecting over if the rest of the car is right, so they kind of have you over a barrel. I'd probably be taking it home to fix my self tbh. Getting anything from them is very person/moon phase dependent, so don't expect too much and push it so far that it sours the new car feeling.

Up to you to decide how much you care and how far you will push it TBH.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
I think its common across lots of makes that things happen in transit and most of the time you never get to know. As it happens my pick up has been put back twice now because they had some transportation damage and its needed a new bumper but I've not seen it yet. Pick up is Wednsday,.

Reactions: Durzel
Ignorance is indeed bliss, part of me wonders would they have picked up on it and sorted it prior to arrival and I'd never have known and be more the happier for it! But then again had they not seen it or tried to rectify it then it might have made handover day a lot more awkward potentially.

I am not too angry about it as I understand these things can happen during transportation, I am just glad it seems to be in a fairly low-key area that isn't seen as closely but it is definitely noticeable and would annoy me if it's not rectified to some extent.

I don't think I'd mind an invisible/smart repair so long as that wouldn't result in any issues with overspray, colour matching etc. If it was sanded down and blended in I would be happy. I don't know much about bodywork repair, is this a fairly trivial job? Should I have any long term concerns? I'm not even sure who would end up doing it as I doubt they have a bodyshop on-site.

I know the Tesla centre there is running absolutely flat out at the moment with cars to be delivered by the end of the month (several transporters arrived just in the time I was there!) , I'm sure they could have done without the hassle but I wouldn't be prepared to take the car without it being sorted somehow.

I wouldn't worry at all. Who is going to see it? My car could have had the Mona Lisa etched into its underside for all I know, I never looked. No one will. If you really want you could make them touch it up with some white paint but then in 6 months the bottom is going to be filthy and scuffed all over anyway.

I suppose if you have an Borrowers living in your skirting boards they might be offended by it, but they are usually more concerned with thimbles and the like.

If it were me, now that you know it's there, highlight it on delivery (the real delivery) if it hasn't already been fixed and then get it repaired (or not) at your convenience.

I suspect the paint scuff - which from the looks of it could actually be rubber or some other transfer of material to the car, rather than actual paint damage - would be picked up in the PDI and have been smart repaired before you ever realised it was there, but maybe the plastic part wouldn't be replaced. Honestly though there's a good chance you'll be "damaging" that plastic just driving around.

Reactions: Avendit
If you mention it to them they'll sort it on the spot. Based on other collection videos, they usually wheel it round to the detailers fix it with some polish and buff it out. Unless it's taken paint off, then they'll likely just clean it up and touch it up.

Yeah it looks like something has actually scored right through the paint into the plastic itself, it's very rough to the touch.

Honestly though if they are able to smooth it out and touch it up or smart repair it it'll be fine. It's just noticeable because of the contrast between the white paint and the black plastic it's scored into, if it had been any other colour I'd have likely never noticed!

Looks a simple bodyshop job tbh. Sand down smooth and repaint. Maybe they'd have to fill the tiny gaps slightly before smoothing but as it's only a small area it shouldn't cost a lot.

Definitely up to Tesla to sort that though. It's definitely a "refuse to accept" issue. Worth making them aware asap before delivery so they can get it sorted in time.

Assuming everything else is fine with the car I'd be happy to accept it after flagging it on the collection day. This sort of stuff happens all the time, and gets fixed before customers are any the wiser. After a smart repair you won't even know it was there.

I think you'd be a bit silly to reject the car for that, but I would understand it taking the shine off the collection somewhat. Remember there's a pretty good chance it would have been fixed before you even collected it properly, and were it not for the damage to the paint would you have even noticed the scratch to the undertray?

I've already wounded my car that much in a car park. ....:mad::eek:
The underside of the front "bib" is low and there is no front camera to give an "angel view".

I agree with the majority: note the damage when you collect the car, if it hasn't been sorted, and ask for them to arrange a mobile paintwork guy, like "Chips Away" to call at their expense. From my experience these people can work what seem to be miracles...

Reactions: Durzel and Nick77
As long as any damage is noted on collection (assuming it’s not sorted by then), are Tesla good at following up and resolving things like that, no chance of them just fobbing it off?
They are, generally speaking, awful at proactively following up - it's down to you to chase them. However, once chased a few times it will get sorted. It's not they way it should be, but that's the reality of the situation. Just make sure everything is noted at collection so there's no wriggle room.

If it’s noted on collection then it’s just a question of when it’ll be done, whenever that is convenient for you.

Put in a service request on day 1 with photos if you want to be absolutely sure (or can’t show someone at the time).

It’ll get sorted.

thanks everyone, really appreciate all the input.

I've bought plenty of new cars but I've always found VW/Audi to have great service here where no issue is too small, it's just you read all the horror stories about Tesla build quality and service so I've been naturally more cautious than I otherwise would but the rest of the car (as I saw it today off the transporter) looks absolutely fine so hopefully this is the only minor snag and they'll sort it.

Really looking forward to the Model 3, I'm driving a VW ID.3 at the moment which is great, very buggy software though.

When are you due to collect?

You could inform the SC where you’re due to collect from that you’ve seen the damage. They’ll probably be quite keen to get it fixed and for you to take the car as it’s the end of quarter push.

Reactions: DJP31