Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 vs CPO Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently debating between either getting a new Model 3 long range or a used Model S. Curious if anyone has any input or advice. Currently 50/50 on which way to go.

On the CPO side I have found a few cars I like in the 47-53k price range. This includes only looking at vehicles with less then 25k in miles, full self driving already enabled, clean history and at least a 4yr warranty. Most are also 2017 S75 rated at about 249 miles of range.

If I got with the Model 3, I’d do long range version but would likely not pay for the full self driving upgrade.

Thoughts? I do feel like the Model S is a way more polished car and I prefer larger vehicles, but I have issues buying a used car that I can’t first look at in-person...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Currently debating between either getting a new Model 3 long range or a used Model S. Curious if anyone has any input or advice. Currently 50/50 on which way to go.

On the CPO side I have found a few cars I like in the 47-53k price range. This includes only looking at vehicles with less then 25k in miles, full self driving already enabled, clean history and at least a 4yr warranty. Most are also 2017 S75 rated at about 249 miles of range.

If I got with the Model 3, I’d do long range version but would likely not pay for the full self driving upgrade.

Thoughts? I do feel like the Model S is a way more polished car and I prefer larger vehicles, but I have issues buying a used car that I can’t first look at in-person...
I just bought an M3 LR AWD, taking advantage of the price drop. I’ve never considered buying used as there may be hidden defects that could bite me down the road. I got a fantastic trade in valuation on my 2018 LR RWD and picking up my new car Saturday the 20th. Do you have a car to trade? For me range is king.

If acceleration is important to you: Model 3

If size is important to you: Model 3 and S are both large cars but by american standards they are both probably not that big. Model 3 isn't quite as wide and Model S has a much bigger trunk.

If range is important to you: the Model 3 will get around 100km more per charge at 110 kmh. (480km vs 380km when new)

If traveling speed is important to you: Model S will be slower and even more slow if you are affected by the throtteling.

If drivability is important to you: Model 3 drives like a car, Model S drives more like boat (no joke).

I personally think the Model 3 is the better buy at the moment. Model S has unfortunately just aged a fair bit and even though the trunk is significantly bigger than Model 3, unless you haul a lot of stuff it is not worth it imho. From memory it is around 20-30cm longer and 10cm wider or so...

If you want to sleep in the car you can do that easily in both the 3 as well as the S. 3 you have a slight incline whereas the Model S seats fold completely flat.

If you like music: Model S sound system is good but Model 3 soundsystem is definetely better.

If you put a lot of big items into the trunk (bicycles etc): Model S. Model 3 is not a hatchback...

Model S is imho better looking from the front. Mainly caused by the longer bonnet imo. From the rear they look very similar.

It is amazing how many people cross-shop these two cars. I did as well. P3D vs. used Performance S. Price was a factor for me and although I fell in love with the S the 3 had grown on me quick. Had I been able to pick up a Stealth 3 for 50k I probably would be driving one of those now, but, as it were I picked up my Model S last Thursday. Couldn't be happier. Used with 46k miles but I lucked out and mine is darn near perfect. I think that is the exception rather than the rule though. But, the unhappy ones are the ones that make posts so maybe it just seems that way. Any questions feel free to ask here or PM, good luck!

I weighed both options before ordering my 3. I'd been wanting a Tesla for quite a while, and the first I noticed was the S. What a beautiful car. The lines are classic and timeless, IMHO. This car will continue to age well. I wasn't immediately taken with lines of the 3 - however, my opinion changed on that. We do road travel, my wife and I, and our Cadillac XTS was just about perfect for that. I worried that the 3 would be cramped, relatively rough riding, and with an intrusive amount of road noise. In the end the advantages of buying new won out. My wife and I have both been delighted with the 3. None of our worries came to pass. We have made several 500 mile trips, and leave shortly to go coast-to-coast. Loving our car, and still turning my head when I see a Model S...;) Good luck with your decision. You'll be fine either way.

I agree with both posters that say "drive them, and the choice will become apparent quickly". They drive NOTHING alike. I happen to prefer cars that feel like they handle better, rather than "big cruisers" (thus, I got BMW 3 series and 4 series, despite being able to afford a 5 series over my 15 years of leasing new BMWs).

I like the appearance of the model S significantly more than the model 3. To me, the model S is a truly stunning car on the outside, especially the ones POST "nosecone". The model 3 feels significantly more nimble when driving it. even the performance S, while it launches faster than the performance 3, still feels heavy and bloated to me.

My "heavy and bloated" is someone elses "solid luxury feel", for the same sensation. The cars drive different enough that its more than just a price difference. If one likes how both drive, equally (unlikely), then it depends on whether you want the extra space, or the newer tech.

For me, choice was super clear that it was model 3, not model S. No wrong answer here of course, its all personal preference.

I'd say drive both if definitely the right answer. I drove a S and fell in love with the performance, tech, and bells and whistles (retracting door handles/mirrors, air suspension, sunroof). I sat in a 3 (never drove one) and felt it was a little too "futuristic" for me with its lack of driver instrument cluster and streamlined features (air vents, flat door handles that manually pop out). Personally I needed something a little fancier if I was going to spend $45k+.

If acceleration is important to you: Model 3

If drivability is important to you: Model 3 drives like a car, Model S drives more like boat (no joke).

Most of your observation are correct except for these two.

- A dual motor S is in the mentioned budget and that accelerates just as hard if not even harder than a 3.

- I don't get where you are coming from with "drives like a boat". Maybe you need to schedule a service visit to check your suspension. I noticed quite the opposite, my S feels unexpectedly planted in curves and drives just fine. On the other hand, when I drove a 3, it felt way more harsh than needed for daily driving. It's a squeak/rattle box in the making. Probably on a track yes, it's better planted than an S, but that kind of driving is not realistic anywhere else.

One additional comparison which I haven't noticed come up: the 3 interior is way noisier compared to an S. Important for some.

I think it's a fairly easy decision for most people. Given that we're talking about the same price, if you need the passenger and storage space, you're not getting a 3.

For those to whom that doesn't matter, I'll add observations of my 3 Performance vs face-lifted 75D and 90D loaners I've driven:

+The S has has very nice seats. I like its black suede interior lining. Height adjustable air suspension could be important depending where you live (not for me).

-The S interior is busier and fussier than the 3. It has worse external visibility. Leather steering wheel rim feels better, but the wheel itself and controls are worse. One of the S had surprisingly laggy interface (even though its facelifted recent model).

Both handle well for their weight, but there's no getting around the extra size and mass of the S, and for my personal preference that's a complete no-no.

Supposedly the S is more comfortable and relaxing for freeway cruising. But our local freeways are lower speed, so I cannot observe the differences.

I was in the same boat. Although I was looking at used Model 3's and used Model S's. I ultimately went with the used Model 3. Got a 2018 LR RWD, red multi coat, sport rims, enhanced autopilot. Beautiful car. What convinced me is the range, newer battery/motor tech, simplicity and modern interior, and superior range and efficiency over a similar priced used MS. Couldnt be happier about my decision

I am also in the same boat coming from a BMW 5 Series and would rather have a 2020 Model S, as I think it compares better. I also, love to lease and the there is no way I can lease a Tesla Model S, as the lease rates are horrible. So, will have to get a Model 3 instead. Still like the Model 3, but preferred the Model S more, especially the front end. :)

I thought about this as well while shopping. Ultimately for me, I much prefer the look of the S, the bigger car is appealing and the hatch is a huge plus for me. On the other side, the slower charging speeds, slower handling car and even screen orientation were all negatives for me and made me go for the 3.

Most of your observation are correct except for these two.

- A dual motor S is in the mentioned budget and that accelerates just as hard if not even harder than a 3.

- I don't get where you are coming from with "drives like a boat". Maybe you need to schedule a service visit to check your suspension. I noticed quite the opposite, my S feels unexpectedly planted in curves and drives just fine. On the other hand, when I drove a 3, it felt way more harsh than needed for daily driving. It's a squeak/rattle box in the making. Probably on a track yes, it's better planted than an S, but that kind of driving is not realistic anywhere else.

One additional comparison which I haven't noticed come up: the 3 interior is way noisier compared to an S. Important for some.

Not sure what you are on about - My Stealth Performance 3 was 91k AUD. Tell me which second hand Model S does 0 to 100 in 3 seconds in that price range. Nevermind that he is looking at a Model S 75. The quickest 75 does 0 to 100 in about 4.5 seconds. the bare minimum he would need to get is a P85D and activate ludicrous mode.

And a huge american sedan like a Model S will drive like a boat. You guys just dont notice what it is like not to drive a boat with your poor handling muscle cars lol.

The 3 is a bit of a rattle box and I do find the drive at higher speeds quite noisy. Certainly not better than gas cars for the same price point.

Reactions: ducktales
Not sure what you are on about - My Stealth Performance 3 was 91k AUD. Tell me which second hand Model S does 0 to 100 in 3 seconds in that price range. Nevermind that he is looking at a Model S 75. The quickest 75 does 0 to 100 in about 4.5 seconds. the bare minimum he would need to get is a P85D and activate ludicrous mode.

And a huge american sedan like a Model S will drive like a boat. You guys just dont notice what it is like not to drive a boat with your poor handling muscle cars lol.

The 3 is a bit of a rattle box and I do find the drive at higher speeds quite noisy. Certainly not better than gas cars for the same price point.

The OP didn't specify he wants a performance 3. Both an AWD 3 and a 75D S are just a little over 4 seconds 0-60mph.

I’m only seeing like one or two cars near 25k miles with FSD or EAP for less than $50k... so buying a Model 3 LR would be almost $2k cheaper, have much greater range, new AP 3.0 hardware already installed, charge faster (up to 250kW while I believe that gen Model S is 150kW) and be brand spanking new.

On the other hand you can get all those benefits and some of the size if you decide to get a Model Y and be right in the $54k range...

You also might want to factor in that the battery and drive unit warranty on the S would only be for 4 or 5 years where as on a new 3 or Y it would be 8 years... it’s unlikely to happen, but a battery issue or drive unit would both be very expensive repairs.

If you prefer a larger vehicle, you will prefer a smaller vehicle after driving the Model 3

Reactions: jpfive