Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 vs CPO Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you are on about - My Stealth Performance 3 was 91k AUD. Tell me which second hand Model S does 0 to 100 in 3 seconds in that price range. Nevermind that he is looking at a Model S 75. The quickest 75 does 0 to 100 in about 4.5 seconds. the bare minimum he would need to get is a P85D and activate ludicrous mode.

And a huge american sedan like a Model S will drive like a boat. You guys just dont notice what it is like not to drive a boat with your poor handling muscle cars lol.

The 3 is a bit of a rattle box and I do find the drive at higher speeds quite noisy. Certainly not better than gas cars for the same price point.

Rattle box for sure (the dash is driving me nuts.. mobile service has “fixed” it twice and I feel it’s way worse now).. but the S is not planted.. not in the way the p3d is. The 3 feels heavy, but the tires more than make up for it. I really do not like the S steering either, it felt all over the place and the interior feels dated. The only thing it has is the looks, especially front and sides.

The 3 feels heavy, but the tires more than make up for it. I really do not like the S steering either, it felt all over the place.

Consider the tires on the S as well when you judge it's dynamics.

I drove a Model S with 19" ContiSportContact 5P (ultra high perf summer) and it handled fine. Drove one with 19" Conti somethingorother studless Nordic-grade winter, and the steering behavior was like a yacht. Awful.

Fwiw, my model 3 20" don't feel as dissimilar between the Pilot Sport 4S and Nokian R3.

Another comment about size should be made... backing into some superchargers, especially many of the new ones in cities ie parking garages might be difficult with an S or X. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I’ve seen some superchargers in really tight areas and I’ve been glad I had a slightly smaller 3 to get in and out...

I suspect those complaining of "rattlebox" did not get recent example; my 3/20 delivery is more solid than either of my BMW M-cars. Every time Tesla makes a new car they make big strides and fewer mistakes. This car (M3P+) is almost as impressive in cornering and ride as it is in straight line. It is also a trend-setting but potentially jarring aesthetic as regards the interior, but I think it is a great demonstration of form following altogether new function with touch points reasonable, the vista extraordinary, the interface and music system nonpariel and the clutter non-existent. Why would you want to buy a tired, albeit important waypoint, whale (S) when you could have this cutting edge porpoise! The only criticism I have is the less than ideal wind noise management; not terrible but sticks out as an engineering (assembly?) lapse. Only really relevant if you plan on a lot of high speed cruising.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hard to explain but I was just thinking about this today. Completely, fully honestly, I wouldn't trade my 2016 S for a new 3. In some aspects, it would feel as a downgrade.

I dont think its hard to explain, you like the feeling of the model S. You prefer (at least in the tesla ) the cruiser aspect of it, like the space, prefer the more traditional cockpit area, etc.

Conversely, If someone wanted to trade me a new model S P100D straight up for my model 3P, I would say "thanks but no" (even though it would be financially advantageous to do that). Like I said earlier, my "big and bloated" is someone elses " solid luxury feel".

Reactions: SammichLover
I am also cross shopping these two and have not driven either car yet. I don't think it is a coincidence that the used MS value with a additional 4 year 50K mile warranty from Tesla is around the same price as a new M3 LR AWD. It is nice to have options as a consumer as one car does not fit everyone's use or tastes.

I normally have sports cars and have historically prioritized and enjoyed a nimble car. However, daily driving these cars with more track focused handling has grown more tiresome for me over time. Plus, sports cars limits have grown to the point that I don't feel you can really play with them at their limits at reasonable speeds on a street. If you are sliding around a modern BMW M car on the streets for example, you are doing "arrest me please" speeds. Maybe it is me getting older but I don't feel like I can play around on the streets and for a daily driver, I just want something smooth and easy.

I will drive both but I am guessing I am going to lean in the direction of a used Model S from Tesla. I personally like the look of the MS better. I assume it will be a little smoother in ride and I love the extra practicality of a hatch. I'm also expect I will only own the car for a few years, and FSD is not a real draw for me, so the older MS tech if fine with me. I like having a gauges cluster and like the little more traditional interior of the MS personally.

One thing I am a little more worried about is the depreciation of the MS. 3 or 4 years down the line the Model S may not have the same status being a over 10 years old model, however, that is always hard to predict.

I appreciate everyone’s responses. After thinking more about this the one thing I can’t seem to get myself past is buying a used car without seeing it. I also had a conversation with a used car sales advisor from Tesla and he wasn’t able to fully answer some of the questions I had.

Therefore currently leaning heavily toward a new M3 long range. Haven’t sent the order in yet, but pretty sure that’s the route I’m going to go.

I appreciate everyone’s responses. After thinking more about this the one thing I can’t seem to get myself past is buying a used car without seeing it. I also had a conversation with a used car sales advisor from Tesla and he wasn’t able to fully answer some of the questions I had.

Therefore currently leaning heavily toward a new M3 long range. Haven’t sent the order in yet, but pretty sure that’s the route I’m going to go.

Tesla doesn't make these choices any easier, in part because there's no such thing as a Tesla "model year," but...

I recently took delivery of a sub-18K mile 2016 Model S 75D with FSD for $54,600 (I got multi-coat red and free supercharging, otherwise I'd have looked for a lower price).

Given the fact that it's a used car, I couldn't be happier with the condition. The interior and exterior are nearly (but not completely) flawless (I've got a small driver seat puncture that I'm going to have to deal with, but otherwise, there's not a single interior flaw; I've got a couple of nearly invisible exterior dings that anyone could get five minutes after taking delivery). I've got a 5% range loss (so, 246 instead of 259 max range), so I won't be matching a new M3 on range. But my MS is slightly faster than a stock M3 DM LR. The trunk vs. hatchback and the available cubic footage differences are just obvious (though the importance varies by person). I assume that the drive feel differences are comparable to a BMW 3-series vs 5-series, or a VW Jetta or Passat vs. GTI (which I own). I'm sure that the MS can feel like a "boat" compared to the M3, but the MS still feels tight.

For me, here are a few things that made a difference:
  • style of the MS is (for me) more appealing, rare, and timeless (in the DC area, M3s are everywhere--great!--but I almost never see a red MS);
  • drive feel is awesome, though I'm sure that if I wanted "point-and-shoot," (like my GTI) I'd have favored an M3;
  • prefer the self-presenting door handles, rather than the push-to-access handles (for which the approach varies by side);
  • heated steering wheel (came to love in Toyota Highlander, and wife was insistent about);
  • power rear hatch is a nice plus;
  • opening sunroof (to each's own);
  • greater trunk space/hatch flexibility;
  • dash display (vs. center only display);
  • my warranty is just as long.

The "CPO" experience (which really isn't CPO) is more of a crapshoot than perhaps it should be. But if you spend some time (months?) with EV-CPO studying what's out there, what sells, and what doesn't, you can make informed decisions.

Todd

We are actually more cross-shopping a Model Y with a used Model S because of the hatch & room.

The Model 3 drivetrain seems pretty bulletproof, whereas the Model S, at least the early cars, tended to eat bearings as I guess the bearing was a grounding path for the inductive motor. I checked around and the aftermarket replacement of the bearings is still $4,000, which is a lot of coin for what appears to be a four or five hour job. One fix that was applied to the Model 3 is a tab which appears to provide an alternate grounding path from the inner bearing race to the housing. Wheel bearings and door handles seemed to also be common replacement items.

Tesla fixed the door handles with a redesign. Does anyone know about the drive units and wheel bearings?

Currently debating between either getting a new Model 3 long range or a used Model S. Curious if anyone has any input or advice. Currently 50/50 on which way to go.

On the CPO side I have found a few cars I like in the 47-53k price range. This includes only looking at vehicles with less then 25k in miles, full self driving already enabled, clean history and at least a 4yr warranty. Most are also 2017 S75 rated at about 249 miles of range.

If I got with the Model 3, I’d do long range version but would likely not pay for the full self driving upgrade.

Thoughts? I do feel like the Model S is a way more polished car and I prefer larger vehicles, but I have issues buying a used car that I can’t first look at in-person...
I recently bought my used 2018 M3 Performance for $53K, which looks like that is just at the top of your price range. Mine had 10k miles on it and came with Enhanced Auto Pilot and HomeLink. Just for the performance upgrade alone I'd go with the Model 3 over the Model S. You won't get into a Performance Model S for anywhere close to that price or with that low mileage. If performance is not your thing, then the S would be a slightly bigger car with a sport hatchback and possibly a sliding sunroof. I'm sure there are other options that come with the S over the 3 but I'm not that up to speed on all the options on the S. I love my Model 3 Performance and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Hard to explain but I was just thinking about this today. Completely, fully honestly, I wouldn't trade my 2016 S for a new 3. In some aspects, it would feel as a downgrade.

My exact same sentiment. However, the 3 munchkins are becoming of driving age and I am getting tired of my "boat". Love the MS, very agile and planted thought without the visceral road feedback of a Golf R or BMW M3. In 2023 will likely get the Model 3 for its rapid charging, smaller size, better visibility, and maneauverability.

MS is and will remain the best looking of Teslas, a shape that will never age, IMHO WhiteStar (like the prototype codename) is the ultimate color with dark rims to bring out that exclusive look.

Reactions: cucubits
So figured I’d post an update here and close this out.

I took delivery of my LR M3 this past weekend and honestly feel like I definitely made the right choice. Initially I wasn’t concerned about autopilot or HW versions, but now having driven the car even for a few days my opinion on that has changed. Add to that longer range and brand new and this is an easy no brainer for me now.

Currently debating between either getting a new Model 3 long range or a used Model S. Curious if anyone has any input or advice. Currently 50/50 on which way to go.

On the CPO side I have found a few cars I like in the 47-53k price range. This includes only looking at vehicles with less then 25k in miles, full self driving already enabled, clean history and at least a 4yr warranty. Most are also 2017 S75 rated at about 249 miles of range.

If I got with the Model 3, I’d do long range version but would likely not pay for the full self driving upgrade.

Thoughts? I do feel like the Model S is a way more polished car and I prefer larger vehicles, but I have issues buying a used car that I can’t first look at in-person...
You are not getting 250 miles from a Model S 75