Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 White got Keyed - only 5 days old.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Model 3 got keyed already... 😔😡
Parked in a residential parking lot.

Sentry cam got some footage, but doesn't 100% prove that he did it. But you can see him walk past very close and the final few frames he is holding his keys like a knife aiming downwards 😡 I've already reported it to the police. But I will also do some of my own digging.

What are my options for repair? It ****ing deep.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_094331535.jpg
    PXL_20220324_094331535.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Disagree
Reactions: FLTessie

Sentry cam got some footage, but doesn't 100% prove that he did it. But you can see him walk past very close and the final few frames he is holding his keys like a knife aiming downwards 😡 I've already reported it to the police. But I will also do some of my own digging.

Do you know who it is?

There's always some jealous w***** around. Life must be frustrating for losers like this. As for repair, worst case scenario is a bonnet respray. Worst case for the offender is a life in and out of jail.

Absolute loser. Yeh I think it would need a bonnet respray but I think white multicoat is very difficult to match. Would I be best going through Tesla?

Reactions: Jason71
Absolute loser. Yeh I think it would need a bonnet respray but I think white multicoat is very difficult to match. Would I be best going through Tesla?
I don't think Tesla have their own bodyshops in the UK (that could have changed, would have to check). They usually just use local paint shops nearby. If that is still the case, then you are probably better off going straight to a reputable bodywork repair shop.

Paint matching will not be super-critical if they repaint the whole bonnet as you have the plastic bumper at the front which probably doesn't quite match anyway and the angle of the front wings will help to hide any slight difference there. A door panel for example would be a lot harder to match.

But before going down that route though I would try getting a smart repair. White is the best for hiding scratches. It might look acceptable and the cost would be minimal. I once scratched the side of my car with a bike pedal when lifting it on the roof and the subsequent smart repair was invisible. It wasn't as deep as your scratch at the end, but still quite prominent before the repair. They guy did a good job and it was something like £50.

I don't think Tesla have their own bodyshops in the UK (that could have changed, would have to check). They usually just use local paint shops nearby. If that is still the case, then you are probably better off going straight to a reputable bodywork repair shop.

Paint matching will not be super-critical if they repaint the whole bonnet as you have the plastic bumper at the front which probably doesn't quite match anyway and the angle of the front wings will help to hide any slight difference there. A door panel for example would be a lot harder to match.

But before going down that route though I would try getting a smart repair. White is the best for hiding scratches. It might look acceptable and the cost would be minimal. I once scratched the side of my car with a bike pedal when lifting it on the roof and the subsequent smart repair was invisible. It wasn't as deep as your scratch at the end, but still quite prominent before the repair. They guy did a good job and it was something like £50.
Tesla Nottingham has a spray boot, my car was touched up there when there was a small dink from delivery and they did a great job.

I would also see if ChipsAway can help, used them on some of my previous cars and did a good job.

police will always tell you not to do that since it will prejudice a future prosecution
It won't, though. They do worry you'll do it easily and show them up though because they are unlikely to bother (to be fair, it's quite hard).
If you do know who it is, a money claim is always fun. Particularly when you get judgment in default and then can send bailiffs in the day before Xmas.

a money claim is always fun

I did that once.

Made an eBay purchase. Price was pretty much too good to be true. Loads of sales, Lots of good feedback ... the day I purchased the feedback all went red. Organised-scam.

I Googled the small claims court and (many years ago now) found that there was an online process. Typed in the details and it calculated losses including Time and Interest etc. And then a fee to pay. I thought "Good money after bad" but thought the principle important ... so proceeded.

Got an email after a few weeks saying that summary judgement was in my favour as defendant had failed to show up. That had a link to the bailiff ... another online form, and another fee, and another "good money after bad" assumption

Imagine my surprise a week or two later when a cheque arrived for the full amount, including interest, and all the "costs" of the fees.

I suppose the scum just took that on the chin as operational risk ...

Oh Man! That is deep....share the footage with your Insurance Company

The police only enforce the law.

I would say they are not the right professional to make this judgement.
OK but if a video is shared widely and the defendant is judged in the court of public opinion the defending council will claim their client cannot get a fair trial and knowing this the CPS may refuse to prosecute in the first place since they don't like to lose. The police know this, most other people don't, so they like to make people aware of the risk. I don't have a problem with this. Its not one of the worst things the police have ever done.

Reactions: Irata
OK but if a video is shared widely and the defendant is judged in the court of public opinion the defending council will claim their client cannot get a fair trial and knowing this the CPS may refuse to prosecute in the first place since they don't like to lose. The police know this, most other people don't, so they like to make people aware of the risk. I don't have a problem with this. Its not one of the worst things the police have ever done.
Sorry, this is rubbish. Or Crimewatch wouldn't have made it past the planning stage.

AND... this is a criminal damage worth less than £5k. Triable only in the Magistrates' Court. Magistrates are deemed to be professional judges, fair, and immune to prejudice. That's weapons grade dung, of course, but the issue here isn't prejudicing a trial but that the cops wont know where to start and aren't going to commit resources to a door to door or an observation post in the OP's residential car park for a keyed car. Rightly, no?

OP on the other hand can set up all sorts of subterfuge to keep eyes on his car park, sitting out in a hide at night, setting up elaborate CCTV, until the neighbours complain and Plod DOES come around to tell him to knock it off.

@Rich Tea , I know just how you must feel. It's new, its perfect, and some knob just wants to spoil it for you. If you know who it is, make a money claim. Sounds like the video gets you over the threshold in the small claims court (that it was more likely than not that it was him). If not... get the best respray you can and forget about it