Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Wont charge [Tesla Called before pickup to notify]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I posted this topic in the delivery issues thread yesterday, but only got 1 response, so starting a dedicated thread instead as hoping for more feedback. Reposting a slightly abbreviated/updated version here. Just looking for some feedback by tomorrow.

I had a 2019 M3 SR+ for the past 2 years that was a terrific car, but sold it recently given the crazy used car prices and was looking forward to upgrading to a M3 LR. This past Wednesday was my delivery date. On Tuesday I got the automated phone call to confirm delivery. Unfortunately, in less than an hour I got a text saying the car would be delayed until at least Saturday.

Shipping delays happen especially with the pandemic and all of the shortages and such. Annoying, but understandable. Exactly 2 hours before my new pickup time yesterday, I got a call from Tesla letting me know that they had all but finished prepping the car and it looked great, but unfortunately would not charge.

Obviously not the experience I was hoping for. They can't diagnose the issue until Monday at the earliest as they will need the service folks to take a look. Super bummed about the whole thing and wondering if I should flat out reject the car altogether out of fear that it's a lemon.
If I reject the car, I go back in line for the same spec. For reference, I ordered this M3 on June 25 so it has already been more than 2 months. I had paid for the car in full a few weeks back and have requested a refund while they diagnose the issue and while I decide if I want to accept the car.

Even if it ends up being a simple part I’m worried that other build issues could have easily been overlooked if a car that doesn’t charge got past QA. The repair could be quick if they can diagnose it easily and have the part, but it could take a while if they can’t diagnose it easily or if a part they don’t have onhand. They can’t give me an estimate until service folks can check it out tomorrow. Unfortunately, the local Tesla folks have no access to the production schedule and don’t have any estimates as to when a car that matches my exact trim (or even just a LR) could be available.

Have any of you all went to pick up a brand new Tesla to find out that the car doesn’t charge? It is pretty shocking to me that this wasn’t caught by QA. I was expecting to have to check the car for panel gaps and not whether the car could charge.

Option 2 is trying to get a different M3. Unfortunately, not a single LR is available. Performance models seem to pop up on inventory a lot more frequently. One that they offered to ship yesterday (upgrade to) has already sold unfortunately.

Anyone on here with a M3P drive it at all in the winter time with those tires? We don't get much snow here in NC, but occasionally do, and certainly does get below freezing for reference.

Everyone that I have interacted with Tesla on the phone has been very kind and helpful as possible, but I'm just frustrated about the whole situation.

Thanks.

Exactly 2 hours before my new pickup time yesterday, I got a call from Tesla letting me know that they had all but finished prepping the car and it looked great, but unfortunately would not charge.

Have any of you all went to pick up a brand new Tesla to find out that the car doesn’t charge? I
It doesnt sound like that happened to you, either. You didnt go pick it up to find out it wouldnt charge. They contacted you to tell you during their final QA it wouldnt accept a charge, right?

You are making an assumption that it wasnt tested, instead of making the assumption that it did charge when it was tested and its possible something happened during transport. Up to you how you want to view that / shrug.

As for "what to do" its totally up to you, but if it were me I would at let them look at it on monday.

I also removed "delivery issue" from your thread title because otherwise I would have just moved it back into the delivery issues thread (thats where those go).

Reactions: MP3Mike
I did in fact go to pick up the car and was called when I was in the vicinity of the dealer. Had to coordinate logistics with child care and transportation to pick up the car, so your assumption is very wrong. Obviously I love model 3’s or wouldn’t deal with this kind of headache. Cancelling on a customer 2 hours before pickup is poor form regardless in my opinion.

Maybe something happened in transport indeed. Who knows.

I did in fact go to pick up the car and was called when I was in the vicinity of the dealer. Had to coordinate logistics with child care and transportation to pick up the car, so your assumption is very wrong. Obviously I love model 3’s or wouldn’t deal with this kind of headache. Cancelling on a customer 2 hours before pickup is poor form regardless in my opinion.

Maybe something happened in transport indeed. Who knows.

Ok, but thats not what you said. I didnt make an assumption, I quoted what you said, which was "two hours before pickup I was notified". They likely contacted you as soon as they realized. When I originally read the thread title, I thought you were going to be telling a story that you got it home and it didnt charge at all.

Got it. Yeah, I couldn’t take delivery because of this charging issue.

I know they are crazy swamped right now and it’s unfortunate finding out last minute.

Nevertheless, it does suck, and isnt the best first impression. Back to your question....

If this were me, I would wait until monday to find out what the issue was. if its "we had to replace the charging port, it will be ready later today or tomorrow" I would be ok with it (annoyed but ok). If it was there is a problem with XYZ and we have to order the parts and we wont have them for 7-10 days" then I would pursue either swapping to another vehicle or a refund and "back in the queue".

Said another way, I would be ok with a minor fix that took a day or two, as I would just make an assumption that something happened in transport. If it was something major, I would then have the "What else was missed?" thoughts you are talking about.

Thats likely how I would approach it. Hope it works out for you.

Nevertheless, it does suck, and isnt the best first impression. Back to your question....

If this were me, I would wait until monday to find out what the issue was. if its "we had to replace the charging port, it will be ready later today or tomorrow" I would be ok with it (annoyed but ok). If it was there is a problem with XYZ and we have to order the parts and we wont have them for 7-10 days" then I would pursue either swapping to another vehicle or a refund and "back in the queue".

Said another way, I would be ok with a minor fix that took a day or two, as I would just make an assumption that something happened in transport. If it was something major, I would then have the "What else was missed?" thoughts you are talking about.

Thats likely how I would approach it. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks for the helpful response. That is exactly how I’m thinking about it now as well.

Back to waiting for a new Model 3. Battery is bad and needs a new battery pack.

Not good news for sure, but at least it happened before delivery rather than right after. If you had taken delivery and this happened 3 days later, they would just be swapping the battery on your new car for you rather than you waiting for another one (trying to find the silver lining here, which is admittedly hard, lol).

In any case, whats going to happen with that car now is, they are going to order a new battery pack, replace it, then sell the car as an inventory car, and someone else will buy it (and not know about the replaced battery pack).

Hope you dont have to wait too long for a replacement.