Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite interesting. I'm sure the tablet isn't high powered but curious to see if somehow it could be replaced with a higher end tablet and it would be just a matter of copying a few of the apps over to make it communicate with the Tesla interface.. It comes with a sim slot so I wonder if it can provide hotspot but glad it does as that's how I would primarily be giving it an internet connection. It says it supports wireless carplay which is an odd addition.

I like the idea and not to ugly, I have the sexy buttons and some people think they are ugly.
Now the idea has come out I am sure there will be better versions appearing soon. I like in integrates to the main screen which is my big annoyance with the sexy buttons.

500 bucks buys an iPad, or 2 Kindles for the kids to use, rather than staring at a less-then-optimal screen location.
Exactly. My 3 kids each have Kindle HD8s. They've got memory cards in them so lots of capacity. On long trips, I'll load a bunch of movies on their Kindles, which they can watch with VLC player. And of course they have headphones for their Kindles so mom and dad can drive in peace. BLISS.

Reactions: Zalick and RocDeef
I like the idea and not to ugly, I have the sexy buttons and some people think they are ugly.
Now the idea has come out I am sure there will be better versions appearing soon. I like in integrates to the main screen which is my big annoyance with the sexy buttons.
Happens to be I agree - S3xy buttons are ugly - i plan on putting them in unnoticeable areas (like behind the screen)

I remember seeing a review on YouTube. He had installed this product from Amazon on his Model Y and was very happy with it

13.3 Inch 4K Upgrade Android 10.0 Universal Multifunction Car TV Headrest Monitor Tablet Touch Screen Support 1080P Headset WiFi/Bluetooth/USB/SD/HDMI in+Out/FM/Mirror Link (2G ram 16G ROM (2PC) Amazon.com

I remember seeing a review on YouTube. He had installed this product from Amazon on his Model Y and was very happy with it

13.3 Inch 4K Upgrade Android 10.0 Universal Multifunction Car TV Headrest Monitor Tablet Touch Screen Support 1080P Headset WiFi/Bluetooth/USB/SD/HDMI in+Out/FM/Mirror Link (2G ram 16G ROM (2PC) Amazon.com
In my view, the back-of-headrest rear seat entertainment fad has been supplanted by the flexibility and convenience of tablets.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I want this for the entertainment purposes but primarily for climate control. It's annoying when you have 2-3 people in the back asking you to turn on/off rear fan or to turn on/off rear heated seats. Some can be controlled via voice but not the AC control. I'm not sure what they would do with the carplay android auto in the back. that's kind of a weird feature but the ability to put a sim in there to have permanent connectivity is great.

Reactions: jsmay311
I want this for the entertainment purposes but primarily for climate control. It's annoying when you have 2-3 people in the back asking you to turn on/off rear fan or to turn on/off rear heated seats. Some can be controlled via voice but not the AC control. I'm not sure what they would do with the carplay android auto in the back. that's kind of a weird feature but the ability to put a sim in there to have permanent connectivity is great.
sure, but the Tesla App will work on an iPad as well (and Android, but I'm not sure about Kindle/Fire support)
remember bluetooth pairing?

sure, but the Tesla App will work on an iPad as well (and Android, but I'm not sure about Kindle/Fire support)
remember bluetooth pairing?
It's not as fast as sometimes it takes a little while for the app to connect to the car. we have an Ipad mini and rarely ever take it with us in the car. It would be just another thing to remember to bring along with all the baby gear, sports gear, etc. It's just nice to have a dedicated system for the convenience. Maybe if the ipad mini can be integrated into that mount but now we're not able to use the ipad mini in the house. But for my use case it will have a sim in there and it will act as a dedicated hotspot so something more permanent like this solution is more of what I'm looking for.

Overall concept has potential but they should really restrict rear passenger control of climate to the rear vents only and rear seat heating only. It could potentially be super annoying for the rear seat passenger to control things affecting the driver.

Reactions: gtae07
Overall concept has potential but they should really restrict rear passenger control of climate to the rear vents only and rear seat heating only. It could potentially be super annoying for the rear seat passenger to control things affecting the driver.
They have a mini screen coming out apparently that will be rear climate and media controls only...

Reactions: tlr1000