Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect to the small screen and the sync problems I noted in a previous post, Hansshow did get back to me and acknowledged the problem. They said they will have their software engineer look at it. After a couple of days without follow up, I asked them for a timeline. I asked them 3 times before they responded and they replied maybe 2 months. Not sure I feel so reassured but at the same time it's kind of matches their reputation for customer service. As much as I think this small screen is nice overall I would recommend not buying it until the bugs noted are fixed. The issue noted seems to be consistent as others have experienced the same problems. Oddly, Hansshow was unaware of their own products problems until I pointed it out. This tells me that they don't do enough testing, if any at all, before they start selling products they find.

Yeah well that's Hansshow service right there. They barely know anything about what they sell. And often the info you get is just wrong.

You can imagine as I was the first to notice that the rear screen caused update errors, how hard it was for me to get them to understand what was going on. At best they said like "Ok no problem just don't update the car why would you do it anyway?".

As I said before, I would buy from them again but never screens or anything electronic.

Fun sidenote: Spoke to a Tesla technician and he said that they have been given specific orders to more or less refuse working on cars with Hansshow cables connected. So they can demand that you remove and restore the car before they even want to look at it. They have seen many cars damaged because of Hansshow.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Totally agree about not buying anything electronic from HS or generally anything that has a good chance of needing after-sales support.
With respect to electronics connected and warranty, it's not just HS stuff. Tesla seems to be taking a hard line on anything connected and it is beyond reasonable. My last warranty claim regarding side repeater camera pixelation they made me disconnect my EVOffer power trunk and frunk kits, TSportline dash cluster, etc. They told me they want the car to be essentially stock and inferred they could refuse any work. One mobile service guy even told me that having a non Tesla memory key or ssd plugged in to the usb port could cause problems. I think that's bogus but not worth arguing about.

My understanding is that OEMs cannot refuse warranty claims due to third party products unless they can prove that they are the source of the problem. I may be wrong.

As far as Hansshow, I have many of their products (Autofrunk S&Y, Tilt Screen, Pilot Light) and installed several on friend's vehicles. None have been problematic post install. Some installs are a PITA as their instructions have Lilliputian sized images and I can't seem to explain that being a problem to anyone on their end. As a result, I watch all the videos I can find before doing anything.

As far as the small screen, I asked to return it without even removing it from the outer shipping box. They had no issue with the return (I am waiting for my $ credit) and even offered to pay for shipping. The rep claimed that they already have one that is compatible with the upgrades. I doubt that; so am waiting. I do want the rear screen, but not that bad to have system level issues.

HUGE WARNING!!!!

Updated the screen, everything went black! The car got bricked HVAC stopped working speakers also. Car went into limp mode. Rear screen is dead. Did everything with the wires and it did not help. Unplugged box and screen from the harness and it did not help.

I was forced to disconnect the harness from computer and now the car works.

This screen can go to hell where it belongs. It is pure cancer for your car. Remove it and return it if possible.
I installed this screen a few days ago and luckily haven't had any software updates following that. Just found out about this issue today so thought to update the firmware ASAP to prevent any issues with Tesla software updates in the future. I followed the instructions exactly as per the PDF and video provided by HS and can report that it went successfully (so far).

Yes after updating the screen firmware, it did indeed go completely blank and seemed like it bricked itself. However, after following the rest of the instructions (i.e. cutting the two wires and connecting the emergency cable), it came back to life!

Seems like there are no changes to the software version numbers after update, however, the CAN has now been switched to TSL_CAN1_IV6.0 from the previous TSL_HVAC_IV1.3 (see attached photos). Wonder what impacts this will have and if it's a long term solution. I will play around with the screen later and see if the HVAC and rear heated seats are still controllable after this switch. If anyone technical here understands what this change in the update means and what the cutting of the wires actually does, I would love to understand better.

This is absolutely not an ideal fix and by no means HS should treat this as an acceptable fix for those that are unwilling to go through this process. If it was just a firmware update then sure it would be acceptable but cutting wires just doesn't inspire too much confidence for most people.

Attachments

• Before_Update.jpg
    Before_Update.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 229
  • After_Update.jpg
    After_Update.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 136
I installed this screen a few days ago and luckily haven't had any software updates following that. Just found out about this issue today so thought to update the firmware ASAP to prevent any issues with Tesla software updates in the future. I followed the instructions exactly as per the PDF and video provided by HS and can report that it went successfully (so far).

Yes after updating the screen firmware, it did indeed go completely blank and seemed like it bricked itself. However, after following the rest of the instructions (i.e. cutting the two wires and connecting the emergency cable), it came back to life!

Seems like there are no changes to the software version numbers after update, however, the CAN has now been switched to TSL_CAN1_IV6.0 from the previous TSL_HVAC_IV1.3 (see attached photos). Wonder what impacts this will have and if it's a long term solution. I will play around with the screen later and see if the HVAC and rear heated seats are still controllable after this switch. If anyone technical here understands what this change in the update means and what the cutting of the wires actually does, I would love to understand better.

This is absolutely not an ideal fix and by no means HS should treat this as an acceptable fix for those that are unwilling to go through this process. If it was just a firmware update then sure it would be acceptable but cutting wires just doesn't inspire too much confidence for most people.
Lets hope it works for you. For many of us it just went black and we did exactly what they said.

I am never messing with the ports in the computer again. At least here in EU Tesla can claim that the mod caused a future error and void your warranty. They told me that over the phone that they've seen issues before with these mods and warranties.

Also Tesla is now putting notes in their systems if they see a mod that is hooked to the 12v system or computer. In that way if anything happens in the future they can take out those notes and deny your warranty (if there's a chance that it might have caused it).

My system is now purely on 12v power from the outlet in the console. I have placed a on/off switch since the 12v port is almost always on. I really dont need the HVAC functions.

Now I never have to worry about updates ruining the functions or any other issue. I can simply show them the ordinary 12v plug that powers it = no chance of them voiding any warranty.

Also I got half of the money back to keep it. A good deal in the end after the worst service ever.

Attachments

• 20221116_185053.jpg
    20221116_185053.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20221119-124447_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119-124447_Messenger.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 109
  • received_1154318591884003.jpeg
    received_1154318591884003.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20221116_081142.jpg
    20221116_081142.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 136
Looks like EVOffer now sells the rear screen in both formats discussed in this thread. They look identical to the HS ones but I have a feeling the firmware may be different. EVOffer has a huge github page that has constant updates for many of their products. The best example is their power trunk kits where they consistently do updates to keep up with Tesla's software - case in point is when Tesla introduced carwash mode, they shortly after integrated that to their trunk kit so that the foot sensor would activate while the car was in carwash mode. I looked at their github page and they have firmware revisions for the mickey mouse screen (the one that goes on the steering column with the round dials, aka mickey mouse ears). I can only assume (hope) they will also provide updates to the 2 rear screens. Interestingly, their advertising for the large rear screen states, "Unlike the other products in the market, our system is completely safe to do Tesla OTA update." For their small screen the GUI appears to be different as well so very likely they could be running custom firmware. Keep your eyes out for this one. Having experienced first hand with their frunk and trunk kits I am at least confident that they will provide excellent customer service for post sales issues. If I had known that they were selling the small screen, I definitely would have bought from them instead.

Looks like EVOffer now sells the rear screen in both formats discussed in this thread. They look identical to the HS ones but I have a feeling the firmware may be different. EVOffer has a huge github page that has constant updates for many of their products. The best example is their power trunk kits where they consistently do updates to keep up with Tesla's software - case in point is when Tesla introduced carwash mode, they shortly after integrated that to their trunk kit so that the foot sensor would activate while the car was in carwash mode. I looked at their github page and they have firmware revisions for the mickey mouse screen (the one that goes on the steering column with the round dials, aka mickey mouse ears). I can only assume (hope) they will also provide updates to the 2 rear screens. Interestingly, their advertising for the large rear screen states, "Unlike the other products in the market, our system is completely safe to do Tesla OTA update." For their small screen the GUI appears to be different as well so very likely they could be running custom firmware. Keep your eyes out for this one. Having experienced first hand with their frunk and trunk kits I am at least confident that they will provide excellent customer service for post sales issues. If I had known that they were selling the small screen, I definitely would have bought from them instead.

Well I hope it works better. I still wouldn't get a system that could at any time brick itself or the car because of an update to the car or screen itself. Then you have to ask and hope for the Chinese to release another update to fix it. And for how long will they release updates before they move on?

Just imagine waking up before a trip and going to the car to find out that it went crazy again. Then you have to disconnect the harness from the computer and hope for a solution. Than type of stuff is nothing I want to experience again.

I've spoken to a guy who did the update and harness mod and his car updates now, but... His autopilot is disengaging all the time now and giving random errors like saying he's not holding the wheel when he is. Also it simply turns off without errors. Now THAT is scary stuff. He called Tesla that said that they could see him disconnecting plugs to the computer and that "they would work from there to find the cause of the issue and damage".

As I said, good luck people if you have it connected, I am happy with feeding it from the 12v outlet.

Well I hope it works better. I still wouldn't get a system that could at any time brick itself or the car because of an update to the car or screen itself. Then you have to ask and hope for the Chinese to release another update to fix it. And for how long will they release updates before they move on?

Just imagine waking up before a trip and going to the car to find out that it went crazy again. Then you have to disconnect the harness from the computer and hope for a solution. Than type of stuff is nothing I want to experience again.

I've spoken to a guy who did the update and harness mod and his car updates now, but... His autopilot is disengaging all the time now and giving random errors like saying he's not holding the wheel when he is. Also it simply turns off without errors. Now THAT is scary stuff. He called Tesla that said that they could see him disconnecting plugs to the computer and that "they would work from there to find the cause of the issue and damage".

As I said, good luck people if you have it connected, I am happy with feeding it from the 12v outlet.
Definitely zero guarantee this other one won't brick itself or the car. The only thing that is sure is that EVOffer will provide better service and they have a track record of doing updates to the things they sell. And yes, these updates can disappear at anytime but looking at one of their oldest products, the trunk kit, they have updates for versions they sold before July 2019 (their v1 of the kit). That's about as good as it gets.

Modifying anything touching the system is definitely a risk and for anyone not wanting Tesla Service to give you grief, keep the car stock. Going back to an issue I had about my side repeater cameras, one of the technicians said it could be even the fact I tapped power from the cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector or the radar itself sending interference. As silly as some of the excuses I've received from technicians they have nonetheless made them and it is usually impossible to provide absolute proof they are wrong.

Your idea of connecting 12v only is a good solution and anyone with an iota of common sense would know it can't cause any interference to the systems of the car as it is simply drawing power from a source designed to supply power for accessories. However, if you have a completely unrelated problem and you end up with a technician like the one I had they will still question it.

Definitely zero guarantee this other one won't brick itself or the car. The only thing that is sure is that EVOffer will provide better service and they have a track record of doing updates to the things they sell. And yes, these updates can disappear at anytime but looking at one of their oldest products, the trunk kit, they have updates for versions they sold before July 2019 (their v1 of the kit). That's about as good as it gets.

Modifying anything touching the system is definitely a risk and for anyone not wanting Tesla Service to give you grief, keep the car stock. Going back to an issue I had about my side repeater cameras, one of the technicians said it could be even the fact I tapped power from the cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector or the radar itself sending interference. As silly as some of the excuses I've received from technicians they have nonetheless made them and it is usually impossible to provide absolute proof they are wrong.

Your idea of connecting 12v only is a good solution and anyone with an iota of common sense would know it can't cause any interference to the systems of the car as it is simply drawing power from a source designed to supply power for accessories. However, if you have a completely unrelated problem and you end up with a technician like the one I had they will still question it.

Yeah I agree. In my case if I have any issues ever and they claim that the screen is causing it I can simply unplugg it from the 12v outlet and show them that it's not related at all. But if they see a harness going to the computer.. well that could be trickier to explain and remove to troubleshoot it.

My friend who voided his warranty had to remove and restore every connection from the computer on his M3 before they even took it into the SC lol. So he was outside the SC doing it while they waited.

The screen is cool, does a great job. A bit slow and not made for 3d gaming tho.

If anyone finds a controller that works with gaming let me know. I got a random one, it connected via bluetooth and it works in the menu but won't work with any game.

... My friend who voided his warranty had to remove and restore every connection from the computer on his M3 before they even took it into the SC lol. So he was outside the SC doing it while they waited...
Sadly I had to do the same thing at the service center. It was a good thing I was able to do all this without tools. I had to disconnect my TSportline front cluster display, power frunk, power trunk, and hardwired 12v from cigarette lighter power for radar detector. Funny thing was the service advisor said that the technician admitted my add-ons were not likely the source of my problem but he said Tesla is taking a more strict approach and wanting to rule out everything touched.

BTW, there is another full color screen (Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen V2 For Tesla Model 3/Y 2017-2023) available now that doesn't protrude but appears to use a smaller rear vent. It's a bit more integrated looking but I'd still have all the concerns already raised about installing it.

Sadly I had to do the same thing at the service center. It was a good thing I was able to do all this without tools. I had to disconnect my TSportline front cluster display, power frunk, power trunk, and hardwired 12v from cigarette lighter power for radar detector. Funny thing was the service advisor said that the technician admitted my add-ons were not likely the source of my problem but he said Tesla is taking a more strict approach and wanting to rule out everything touched.

BTW, there is another full color screen (Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen V2 For Tesla Model 3/Y 2017-2023) available now that doesn't protrude but appears to use a smaller rear vent. It's a bit more integrated looking but I'd still have all the concerns already raised about installing it.
Yeah that's scary stuff. I have the Amptech powerfunk and kicksensor. Amptech is considered being "the best/safest" but that won't help me. May I ask what issues you had with the car and how did it get resolved considering your mods?

I've also seen that screen and while it looks more integrated my kids would have to look almost at the floor to see anything lol. The V1at least is a bit higher. It probably connects the same way/same risks.

Yeah that's scary stuff. I have the Amptech powerfunk and kicksensor. Amptech is considered being "the best/safest" but that won't help me. May I ask what issues you had with the car and how did it get resolved considering your mods?

I've also seen that screen and while it looks more integrated my kids would have to look almost at the floor to see anything lol. The V1at least is a bit higher. It probably connects the same way/same risks.
I've been having EAP issues - AutoPark is the most significant. My car has an extremely difficult time recognizing a space. I know AutoPark has progressively gotten worse overall but the service center confirmed mine seems below average. Also, my side repeater cameras occasionally distort. I think it's pretty unlikely it is due to things like power frunk/trunk but customers are at the mercy of the service center's wild guesses on what's the cause. I spent a lot of time convincing the service rep that my mods aren't likely the cause and after some persistent and diplomat convincing, they at least agreed to look at my car after I disconnected the power to these mods rather than uninstalling them. The trunk was easy, simply pulled the fuse out near VC Right as the wiring harness has a fuse near there. The screen cluster also has a blade fuse which I had just under the right side console panel. My frunk was a little trickier so before hand I ran a longer wire with a molex connector which I zip tied to my left wiper blade so I can disconnect and reconnect frunk power easily. This extension was only installed for servicing purposes and I've removed it right after but can easily reinstall if need be.

My recommendation for anyone making electronic mods to wire it in some way that allows easy disconnection. Even with that, it really depends on both the knowledge of the advisor/technician your dealing with and what side of the bed they got up that day.

I've been having EAP issues - AutoPark is the most significant. My car has an extremely difficult time recognizing a space. I know AutoPark has progressively gotten worse overall but the service center confirmed mine seems below average. Also, my side repeater cameras occasionally distort. I think it's pretty unlikely it is due to things like power frunk/trunk but customers are at the mercy of the service center's wild guesses on what's the cause. I spent a lot of time convincing the service rep that my mods aren't likely the cause and after some persistent and diplomat convincing, they at least agreed to look at my car after I disconnected the power to these mods rather than uninstalling them. The trunk was easy, simply pulled the fuse out near VC Right as the wiring harness has a fuse near there. The screen cluster also has a blade fuse which I had just under the right side console panel. My frunk was a little trickier so before hand I ran a longer wire with a molex connector which I zip tied to my left wiper blade so I can disconnect and reconnect frunk power easily. This extension was only installed for servicing purposes and I've removed it right after but can easily reinstall if need be.

My recommendation for anyone making electronic mods to wire it in some way that allows easy disconnection. Even with that, it really depends on both the knowledge of the advisor/technician your dealing with and what side of the bed they got up that day.

Yeah then I might have the same issues with them because since day one I get errors on my right rear camera saying that it is obstructed and that I should clean the surface. This only happens in the dark and almost never in daylight when using autopilot.

I have googled my issue and it seems quite normal so therefore I haven't even bothered with it.

Yeah then I might have the same issues with them because since day one I get errors on my right rear camera saying that it is obstructed and that I should clean the surface. This only happens in the dark and almost never in daylight when using autopilot.

I have googled my issue and it seems quite normal so therefore I haven't even bothered with it.
This issue occurs on my stock MY, wouldn't be too concerned with it.

The camera obstruction message could be caused by, assuming the camera is not physically obstructed or dirty, a glare or reflection.
Yeah well it looks clean I guess nothing obvious that obstructs it.

I have a theory that it's always the right one because all the lights and road is on the left side, the right side is on the dark side and because of that the car believes it can't see much when it is in reality nothing to see while the autopilot is on.

Is anyone having problems downloading apps? Specially netflix and disney plus?
Yes you can't download the latest versions since they are not supported. I first downloaded Chrome. Then I started to download older Netflix versions in APK format and tried them out. In the end I found a version that was like 1 year old that worked fine.

Some versions didn't start at all, other started but the playback controlls glitched.

Glad that I saw this forum..I have bought many products from Hansshow and their customer service is terrible..I have a dash screen from them..luckily it has been over a year and it is not interfering with any Tesla updates..I use that for Apple CarPlay mostly

Glad that I saw this forum..I have bought many products from Hansshow and their customer service is terrible..I have a dash screen from them..luckily it has been over a year and it is not interfering with any Tesla updates..I use that for Apple CarPlay mostly
I agree with the poor customer service. I'd try to limit purchases for things that are unlikely to require after-sales support like their door sills where it's a stand-alone product without any need to connect to anything in the car and doesn't get affected by updates to the car. Even then, only if it's the least expensive than the competitors.