Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model E, or 5yr old model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to think I would go for the Model E due to lower TCO. (I imagine it will be more efficient and have smaller wheels/tires etc.)

However, I'd probably go for whichever one had better performance (acceleration, cornering, braking and range in that order). :)

All these folks thinking they'll swap to Model E - that sounds like the staying power in the Model S residual value won't be as good. And if it isn't as good, I see that driving demand FOR those used Model S's, thereby maintaining the residual value :)

I don't know where it'll actually fall in practice, but I expect residual values of the Model S to be strong, and that a significant number of people in the market for a Model E will be very satisfied with a used Model S that gets close enough to their price range. For some of them, the extra space will be important, and being able to get a Model E capable car, but bigger / more space, will be a significant advantage.

I stand by my belief that the first Model E variant will be used Model S's. I also believe there will be significant substitution back and forth, as many people in this thread have identified. And this is all good for the future of EV's on the planet. What isn't good is that we aren't talking about whether we'll be choosing among a used Model S, a new Model E, the <blah> from BMW, the <bleh> from Audi, the <fiz> from Porsche, the <bin> from GM, the <fizzle> from Ford, and so forth.

THAT's what would be indicative of a really healthy EV market - significant competition that would have us Tesla fans looking at other manufacturers.

I agree that it is likely that used S values will be strong even after the E comes out. A base E will likely lack features the base S has to help keep the base E price down. I'm sure you will be able to option an E up to or near the level of a well optioned S but then that highly optioned E price will be over the price of a base S.

I also think that Tesla has such a huge lead in EV technology that the other companies are not going to catch up for a decade at least. I expect that Nissan, MB, BMW, and maybe Porsche and Audi will come out with 200 mile EVs within 5 years, but I don't expect them to do it within the next two years. I doubt that Toyota, Ford, GM, or VW will offer a long range EV any time soon.

I agree that it is likely that used S values will be strong even after the E comes out. A base E will likely lack features the base S has to help keep the base E price down. I'm sure you will be able to option an E up to or near the level of a well optioned S but then that highly optioned E price will be over the price of a base S.

I also think that Tesla has such a huge lead in EV technology that the other companies are not going to catch up for a decade at least. I expect that Nissan, MB, BMW, and maybe Porsche and Audi will come out with 200 mile EVs within 5 years, but I don't expect them to do it within the next two years. I doubt that Toyota, Ford, GM, or VW will offer a long range EV any time soon.

You do realize that Porsche/Audi are the same organization as VW.

Volkswagen Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why give a 16 year old a used Model S? When I was 16, I bought a $1000 car using money I made myself at below minimum wage. A Model S is just crazy. If you are going to give them a car, give them something that sucks. At least then they will have something to work forward to in the future. If it's a boy, make sure it's a slow car. If it's a girl, make sure it's a reliable car. Nothing beyond that is needed.

I can't even imagine what insurance would be for a 16 year old driver of a Model S. Better get a 2nd mortgage on the house! With liability alone, I was paying over twice as much for insurance when I was 16 than I do now for full coverage, and that was over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
This has been quite enlightening, and to be honest, I'm actually surprised by the outcome, I expected a higher percentage of S choices.

I know I posed the question and didn't answer for myself in the first post, that was mainly because I didn't want to dampen the free flow of ideas by people just replying to my opinion, but now that we're on page 3 I think I can throw in my 2 cents (worth approximately $0.00 in real world terms)
I can't yet be certain because we can't yet see what the options are for the E, that said, I suspect I would go the S route, and here's why:
- more space, The smallest vehicle I've ever owned was a Mercedes S class, I'm used to the space, and right now I'm coming from a van, I like being able to haul things, and the S seems to have the space to do some of that.
- toys, we all love toys, and I believe that for the price, a low end E won't likely have nearly as much as a used S, they've already confirmed there are no plans for the giant screen (though some people doubt they'll skip it) I also don't expect it to have all the tech package toys etc (sure you can add them on, but then you're defeating the purpose of this comparison which is to see what you can get bang for the buck, also keep in mind that options depreciate faster than vehicles, a used P85+ with all the toys will be more expensive than a used S85 base, but probably only by a fraction, once you get to used cars the higher options are often close to "free")
- depreciation: the new E is about to loose a lot of value quickly, the used S has already been through the worst of it and is starting to flatten out, when I go to re-sell the vehicle another 5 years down the road, the depreciation hit shouldn't be as bad on the S

All pure speculation as I've said, but that's where my mind is right now. (I'd love to say, new S now, but my investment portfolio and my wife say differently!)

So far I've never taken a loan for a car, and I don't plan on starting now if I can help it, especially being that here in Canada The loan rates are a lot higher than what I hear quoted in the USA.
I know the E will be great, but to be affordable I can't help think that it will have to be missing a lot of what makes the S amazing.

@green1, a touchscreen is a given, even in the E; it just may not be 17" but, a bit smaller as appropriate for the E's smaller cabin. Tesla has invested too much in that interface and the firmware behind it to not use it in some scaled-down form (literally and figuratively) in the E.

I get your thought process though.

If they cost the same I would definitely take the used S.
At least the first year, until any issues with the Model E has been worked out.
Aand apart from early issues, the Model E will have lower specs, both in handling and range.

If they cost the same I would definitely take the used S.
At least the first year, until any issues with the Model E has been worked out.
Aand apart from early issues, the Model E will have lower specs, both in handling and range.

I don't think they will do any thing less than a 50kwh battery. They already know most people don't want a 40kwh (at least at the S price).
I would like to see say a 85kwh and 120kwh. Once you get to the high end of those sizes it'll work for any body.
Right now the 40kwh are too small for me and the 60kwh barley work (in theory since i dont own an S) and the 85 would work great but too costly.
My question is how much is the supercharging option going to be?

Model S has free SuperCharging "forever". That will keep the value up through the years.
Model E production figures are so high, 300,000+. Can Tesla be planing to offer the SC?

However, I would prefer the E as I do not need the performance of the S, and also I expect the E to be easier to enter and exit.

Yes, Elon Musk confirmed in a few interviews that the E will have Supercharging; in all likelihood, there'll be an SC activation fee a la the 60 kWh S.

And, I don't think the E will be lacking in performance compared to the S; if anything, the lighter weight will offset any limitations on power draw and such. It should be more nimble too than the S.