TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model S 70D or Used X P90D? Your advice much appreciated...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by iboy, May 9, 2018.

?

New Model S 70D or Used X P90D?

1. New Model S 70D

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Used Model X P90D

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. iboy

iboy Member

Hi there,

First time to post in this community, though I've read a LOT of your informative conversations. But I haven't found the answer to the question I have: should I go for a new New Model S 70D (AP 2.5) or a used X P90D (AP 1.0) ?

I am totally sold on getting a Tesla, my wife too. My problem is that I just don't want to commit to a 6 figure sum, as I may need to move to New York (I live in London) next year, and I understand we can't ship the car over there as charging is different.

My "must haves" are:

- 4 x wheel
    - Air Suspension
    - not red colour

My situation is:

- Daily commute (20 miles / day in London traffic, 100 miles / week)
    - No off street parking (so I can put in a charger but it's complicated )
    - We do big family trips (we are 4) to Chamonix in France at least once a year (1300 mile round trip)

I really wanted to spend no more than £75k (GBP), i'll be financing he car through my company.

These are the cars I am looking at:

- 70D S Inventory Search | Tesla or one of many similar like it - tesla new £70k AP 2.5
    - P90D X Tesla Model X 90D 90KWH DUAL MOTOR PERFORMANCE 5DR - £80k - through non-tesla dealer, used, no free supercharging, AP1.0 Convenience

My considerations

- I like the idea of 'insane' acceleration (the X doesn't have ludicrous)
    - Tax wise its better on a new car, finance is also better
    - I test drove X and S, and think I preferred the S but loved both, my wife preferred X
    - I def want AP, is the 1.0 with Convenience a poor move?
    - Hardly any used X out there so not much choice.
    - I need to keep an eye on resale if move to the US. Would X P90S with two owners (after me) be less / more attractive than a one owner after me S 70 D

Thank you SO much for you input and expertise

Paul

2. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

I would just add consider the size in day to day driving. Not sure the X is the best in London depending on where you are driving. The S is wide, but the X is even wider and drives quite big (we have both). The wider car in day to day use might cause issues. The S is actually quite large and has a lot of cargo capacity and would meet most needs for a family of 4, even with holidays I think. If I needed to accommodate more than 4 people frequently I would consider the X, but seems like the S is better suited based on information provided.

3. dethman

dethman Member

If you need to resell the used car would give u less of a financial hit. The X is pretty easy to sell given it is not widely available.

Also yes you couldn't take the car from london to new york but its not so much about the charging as the driver's seat being on the wrong side. :D

4. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I have pretty much that exact 75D and the acceleration is plenty fast enough for normal use. Put it this way, i gave a Lambo Gallardo a shock the other day from a set of traffic lights. It will outperform most BMW M3's and Merc C-Class AMG, do around 200 mile on a charge and even if you pay for all the electricity only cost you £10 per 200 miles.

If you can't get a charger installed but you are near a Supercharger you'll be fine (and lucky!!) but otherwise I would suggest getting the £453 ChaDeMO adaptor as it will allow you to rapid charger in most of the other chargers and you get around 115 miles per hour charge (as opposed to 40 or so on Type 2 AC from the same charger).

My personal choice would be the 75D due to the free supercharging (you can use my code if you want free supercharging, just PM me if you want it), the resale value will probably be higher in a year or so due to the speed of advancement in things and possible new features (such as 5G and contactless entry) in the new MCU2 (over MCU1 in the P90D), you know its not been thrashed and you get a full warranty to pass on to the next owner.

5. henderrj

henderrj Member

How is it that the X has no free supercharging? I was thinking that all of them of that time came with it. You can call Tesla with the VIN and ask them. In fact you can ask any specific question. Has it had the drive unit replaced? Does it have free supercharging? Does it have x feature? At least, they let me do that when I bought my used S. For sure they can tell you whether or not it has the free supercharging.

Financially, this seems like a no-brainer. Most of the loss of value happens right after you buy a new car. You won't suffer that with the X. As far as the new autopilot versus the old, there isn't much difference right now. Probably won't be for another year. In your case AP1 is a no loss decision.

And, we got an X loaner one time when we brought the S in for service. Hadn't gone two blocks and my wife said "So, we can trade your car in to buy this right?" Happy wife happy life!

6. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I would rent both out on Turo just so you can get a proper feel for how they each fit in your everyday life.

7. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I dont think Turo is an option in the UK.

8. iboy

iboy Member

Hi all thanks for your input and ideas. Went for a demo S 100 in the end. First big road trip to Croatia from London in a few weeks. Excited. Thanks again for taking time to add your answers

• Like x 1
  9. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

Even better.