Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S 75D doesn't charge to 259Miles Advertised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this new car delivered on Sept 28 2016 with ~382 Miles on ODO meter.

When I charge the car to recommended daily (90%) then it charges to 230 miles. And when I once charge for trip(range charged) it went to 254Miles.
Under no condition this is going to the published 259 Miles.
Did anyone face same issue with there cars? Is the battery already degraded by 2% in 400 miles? That doesn’t sound like a quality product to me. See pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161015-113628.png
    Screenshot_20161015-113628.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20161017-095608.png
    Screenshot_20161017-095608.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20161015_113521.jpg
    IMG_20161015_113521.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 81
@HughMannity May be I was misinformed. I thought the range on dash will always be the rated miles for the model and energy graph does the 5/15/30 miles Projected Instant/Avg Range left.

@largeHamCollid. Car is in NJ climate is more like 35-80 F range car is inside garage at colder times of day so it shielded a lot from temp variations.
I have 19" wheels, Pano

It's very normal for an EV. My own EV will fluctuate about +-25 miles of rated range based on a number of factors (which for my Leaf, is ~35% of my total range).

Under the right conditions, your Tesla will go 350+ miles. Under the worst conditions, it'll probably hit below 170 or worse.

The published EPA number is with Range Mode on, which will add at least a few miles to your rated range. Five miles in my case.

Jerome Guillen: "EPA testing is [done] with range mode on, given that it is assumed customers will use that function when they want to drive the farthest."

Also. are you referring to rated range or estimated range? The EPA rating is for rated range, The estimated range takes your driving style into account, while rated is a fixed calculation.

Last edited:
HughMannity is absolutely incorrect: prior driving habits or style do NOT affect the rated range.
Temperature has been shown to affect rated range
Range Mode On vs Off definitely affects rated range
Tires do not affect rated range, although they obviously affect actual range

In your pic: the 254 is actually at 98 or 99% SOC (state of charge)... you probably charged to 100%, let the car sit for a bit, and the battery rebalanced. If you want to get max rated range (not that it actually matters, except to appease your desire to do so).. Charge to 100% again and also put range mode on: you'll probably hit 258 or 259. If you really want to max the number, run the battery to <20 miles, let it sit for a bit, and then charge to 100% two days in a row. If it's cold in Jersey, you may be missing a mile or two also: if you can charge indoors, the battery temp will be around 70, and you'll negate the minimal effect of temp.

None of this really matters, really... we're splitting hairs about a few miles. What does matter is how many miles you'll have after a few years, and it seems like degradation is 4-6% after 4 years and around 100k miles.

Everything above is from the forums.. just search and do a lot of reading

HughMannity is absolutely incorrect: prior driving habits or style do NOT affect the rated range.
Temperature has been shown to affect rated range

Everything above is from the forums.. just search and do a lot of reading

Oops! The Leaf did that so assumed the MS does too, admittedly haven't paid that much attention when I've charged to 100% the couple times I've done it. Apologies for the misinformation