Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S 85 CPO Owner in North Orange County, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

After following Tesla for a couple of years and obsessing over the S in the Design Studio, my wife and I made the leap into a CPO car. We both drove Land Cruisers, still do at times, but really needed and wanted to get into an EV. We are Landscape Architects and travel from San Diego to Santa Barbara from our base in Orange County, CA and were spending $500 a month on gas, plus dealing with the rising maintenance costs, since the the Land Cruisers both have over 150,000 miles on them.

We looked at all the Hybrids, and ran the numbers in every way possible. What we found is that if we compared a new EV to a CPO Tesla, that it would be close. Once that was decided, we started test driving cars, and after trying a Model S, it just became how much Tesla could we get for lowest acquisition cost. Most of you know how that goes. Test drive a Tesla, then own a Tesla.

I started living at the Buena Park Service Center/Sales Facility long enough for an Owner Advisor to start sending me emails about cars that had come in for certification, but not yet up on the national CPO site. Within a couple of weeks a dark blue 60 came in in the mid $40K range and it was everything we wanted, except it was a 60. I kept looking at EVTripPlanner, and figured that it could work. I decided to wait a day (which is playing roulette because the advisors can't hold anything without a deposit) since it was not on the national CPO page. That evening, I got an email that a white 85 had just come in, and that it was a few thousand more for the 85.

I was there the next morning reviewing it and by the afternoon had my deposit in.

We are 7 weeks into our journey and have put 1,500 miles on it - all fun! Now all I keep thinking about is a P85D. Hmmmm. :cool:

Model_S85.jpg

Hi everyone,

After following Tesla for a couple of years and obsessing over the S in the Design Studio, my wife and I made the leap into a CPO car. We both drove Land Cruisers, still do at times, but really needed and wanted to get into an EV. We are Landscape Architects and travel from San Diego to Santa Barbara from our base in Orange County, CA and were spending $500 a month on gas, plus dealing with the rising maintenance costs, since the the Land Cruisers both have over 150,000 miles on them.

We looked at all the Hybrids, and ran the numbers in every way possible. What we found is that if we compared a new EV to a CPO Tesla, that it would be close. Once that was decided, we started test driving cars, and after trying a Model S, it just became how much Tesla could we get for lowest acquisition cost. Most of you know how that goes. Test drive a Tesla, then own a Tesla.

I started living at the Buena Park Service Center/Sales Facility long enough for an Owner Advisor to start sending me emails about cars that had come in for certification, but not yet up on the national CPO site. Within a couple of weeks a dark blue 60 came in in the mid $40K range and it was everything we wanted, except it was a 60. I kept looking at EVTripPlanner, and figured that it could work. I decided to wait a day (which is playing roulette because the advisors can't hold anything without a deposit) since it was not on the national CPO page. That evening, I got an email that a white 85 had just come in, and that it was a few thousand more for the 85.

I was there the next morning reviewing it and by the afternoon had my deposit in.

We are 7 weeks into our journey and have put 1,500 miles on it - all fun! Now all I keep thinking about is a P85D. Hmmmm. :cool:

View attachment 104502
Enjoy it! The urge to trade up for me is overwhelming at times! You are way ahead of 99.5% of everyone still buying gas!!

Would you mind sharing more of the details: price, miles, options, wear and tear items and what they replaced? Your CPO is exactly what I am hoping for assuming it's Pearl with the 19 Cyclone rims and a Pano roof. Soooo nice!

I got basic white, 85kWH Battery, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Obeche Wood Gloss, Tech Package, Air Suspension, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, and Dual Chargers for just over $50K. I really don't know all the things they did to prep it. They are pretty mum about that stuff. I had to take it back because the air bag light indicated a problem, and the hatch was a touch loose creating some air pressure issues. Other than that. It has been great.

Thank you. Appreciate the extra bit of info. Very helpful for trying to figure out what I can get for about the same $$. Biggest obstacle is not the $$ (well it is but it isn't) but the Mrs. She is saying that whatever I spend on the Tesla, she gets to spend on a new kitchen. Killing me!

Nice first world problems! Just let her know that she has to get CPO kitchen.
Ha ha! Yes, I went that route with suggesting cabinet refacing, she countered with "doesn't matter to me, I still get to spend the same $$ as you do." Yes, truly first world problems. We are very fortunate and do our best to never take that for granted and share our blessings. Anyone with the means to purchase a TSLA new or used is a global 1%'er.