Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S and X Center Console Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original center console idea from Tesla was to have "nothing"..

Which has it's own pros and cons.

While driving a loaner 2013 (bad experience) Model S, I noticed the vehicle had no center console.

So I used 2 shoe boxes and it was actually pretty good.

Tons of space to throw my "stuff" in.

The updated center console has 2 cup holders.. and a tiny area for your accessories.

Given how much space is available in the center area, I find this to be a terrible use of the space.

Basically, you give up massive of real estate for 2 cup holders and change.

The new center console is more aesthetic, but not very functional.

This is another case of, "This could be so much better...."

The cupholders are pretty awful. I just try to avoid having cups or bottles in the car. I changed the movable cup holder pieces from()() to (()) so I can fit one cup if I need it, and I can still reach in there where I keep pens, lotion, brush, and stuff like that. I use the armrest cupholders for my microfiber cloth for the screen.

I prefer the center console over the open storage area. The cup holders are completely modular and adjustable and can be removed entirely. I find the modular pieces make terrible cup holders (at least with the water bottle I use), so I end up just using them as partitions to organize the large amount of space. With the ICC there is still plenty of storage and you are not restricted to the small flip top storage area. I like that everything is tidy, hidden and doesn't slide around.

It's easy to swap out the new console with the old one. The old console is actually under the new one.

The ideal tool is probably a sledgehammer..

On another note...

I find the new center console to have too many "areas" that are hard to reach and get to.

You have to slide your hand underneath the plastic...and it's not functional...

The sliding drawer doesnt' open all the way, so it's difficult to reach the far end..

There's "depth", and the console utilizes none of it...

It's like having a warehouse that has 18' to 22' ceilings, but you only utilize 6ft shelves.... Not good use of the space.

It's just a BAD design...

Reactions: davidc18
Actually the center console on our MX reaches over 8 inches deep when door is open. Hard to see back there so I installed light strip (image 1). Some might think it tacky but I like it (my wife says, "that's all that matters"). Also, used red courtesy light for pedals (image 2)

Attachments

• unnamed-12.jpg
    unnamed-12.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 223
  • unnamed-13.jpg
    unnamed-13.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I don't like the new or old center console design--I prefer the open yacht floor area. Thankfully for me, it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to rip out the new center console and retrofit the old yacht floor setup if I ever decide to replace my current Model S.

Actually the center console on our MX reaches over 8 inches deep when door is open. Hard to see back there so I installed light strip (image 1). Some might think it tacky but I like it (my wife says, "that's all that matters"). Also, used red courtesy light for pedals (image 2)

You have an entire area, basically set aside for 2 cup holders.

The center area, literally goes to the floor, but you're allocated 8" of that...

Compared to ICE cars, the center console is comparable.. and it's "OK".
But remember, Teslas have no engine...

Compared to the POTENTIAL of what it could be... it fails miserably...

Reactions: davidc18
Our 4 year old S P85 came with the open floor - and almost no storage space. So I used a storage bag in the tray to keep the items that didn't fit in the glove compartment.

When Tesla announced the first generation center console, I placed a reservation and had it installed. I configured it for a single cup holder, making it easier to hold one of the larger cups, which don't fit well into the standard cupholders, especially when you have two cups at one time.

And when Tesla announced last year they were going to include the center console as a new standard feature - that was welcome news. It cost us $650 for the P85's console - and our new S 100D will have it for no additional cost.

While it isn't perfect, we've been able to use the center console effectively - better than using the storage bag, plus with the addition of the extra cup holder and the phone dock, it's a useful feature.

I'll admit the open space without the console was nice, but with so little storage space, unless Tesla came up with a way to add more storage (such as door pockets), the center console makes sense, and they likely made it a standard feature because most customers were asking for it...

It's easy to swap out the new console with the old one. The old console is actually under the new one.

That is not so easy anymore. The recent loaner I had shows it is now an entire piece including the armrest.
Personally I have the jachtfloor. I had the central console accidentally added, but had it remove as I really like the open space.
But I do understand owners of P version tired of things flying around.
And I feel that this console is also not on par with the other material in the car.

I prefer the center console to the open space, test drove a car with the yacht floor and it looked like a mess. Would be nice with some dividers that would allow better use of the space though. It's a bit silly that the car doesn't come with something like Carina's Tesla Tray or the Evannex Cubby drawer

Now if I only could find a nice small water bottle that would allow me to close the lid on the cupholder area...

@AustinP What drawer is that in your photo?

That is not so easy anymore. The recent loaner I had shows it is now an entire piece including the armrest.
Personally I have the jachtfloor. I had the central console accidentally added, but had it remove as I really like the open space.
But I do understand owners of P version tired of things flying around.
And I feel that this console is also not on par with the other material in the car.
That's just the side panel. If you remove the side panels and take out the two bolts that hold the cupholder part in all of the new console comes out revealing the old console underneath. You will have to add the old side pieces and the yacht floor/carpet.

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

I went back and forth on the center console... I have the yacht floor and have had loaners with the console. Although the yacht floor isn't as useful often times as the console, having that open space provides a much more pleasing front seating area. With the console and the extra bolstered latest generation seats it feels a bit cramped to me as visually that console comes up very high, probably higher than it needs to.

The cupholder situation stinks however without the console. I purchased a snap in cell phone/dual cup holder that while ugly (molded plastic) gets the job done.

When I bought my S, the console was not yet available and so had the yacht floor for several months. My wife liked to throw her purse in the open space, but I preferred a closed storage space. Overall I like the console. The phone charger is convenient, the cup holders free up the armrests (boy putting cup holders under the arm rests was a bad idea), and there is still some storage space. I find I don't keep as much useless junk in the car as in previous ones with more storage.

I dont like that there is a huge cavernous space inside that is not easily accesible (under the screen, behind the 2 bracket cup holders). Its impossible to reach in and grab seomthing there if something slides there. I also had another issue yesterday when my phone slid into the gap between the console and the screen and was stuck in a very hard to reach area. I had to push it out using a stick.

I like to have the console for sure, but it definitely could have used more thought and should NOT have any gaps or spaces that are not easily accessible.

Reactions: Gur814
Here's my newly "McGyvere'd" solution to this design issue.

Not "factory molded" but it works...

1. It adds 5 separate compartments to the top portion.
2. In the area 3 Yellow, I can actually fit a full size water bottle
3. Raised the walls, so I can put more stuff inside
4. I can put a cell phone into area 1 green or 2 yellow, or 5 blue
5. Area 4 can hold pens and cables

I still have the 2 large cupholders (from the stock design)

As another poster said, the armrest cupholders are NOT useable.
Maybe you can keep loose change in it.
I advise anyone not to put hot drinks or sodas there; it will get knocked over.

The area in front of the large moveable stock cup holders are difficult to reach, and you just end up scraping your hands against the plastic. A waste of space.

Made from cardboard and vinyl stickers.

tesla center console 02.jpg
tesla center console 03.jpg

Reactions: Lightmatrix