Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Headlight/Taillights in North America?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to take delivery of a new Model S LR on Saturday (our second Model S in addition to my wife's 2018 Model S). I see articles about new Headlights/Taillights in Asia. Any insights into when they will be coming to the US? I wondering if I should delay taking delivery.

They will be put in cars for non North American delivery first, cars needing the CSS plug. The changes will eventually come to domestic cars, but my feeling is it will be fall or later for USA. Maybe next model year 2023 intro in the fall.
The lights has nothing to do with CCS plug and it's really a drop-in replacement with minimal body change. I bet it would happen fairly soon in US.

Upvote 0
The lights has nothing to do with CCS plug and it's really a drop-in replacement with minimal body change. I bet it would happen fairly soon in US.
Why did they say the updates are for foreign markets first? Why wouldn't they say they will be putting the new headlights into US production shortly? Doesn't sound likely, but then again, this is Tesla. The taillights definitely will take some changes. Probably best to implement both at the same time.

Upvote 0
From the Jan 11 Electrek article I posted above: "We suspected that this could be a new version of the Model S meant for international markets with some of the design updates likely to make it to the North American version, which is currently the only one being delivered." They are supposed to start building for International markets soon, thus these updates for that market.

Upvote 0
From the Jan 11 Electrek article I posted above: "We suspected that this could be a new version of the Model S meant for international markets with some of the design updates likely to make it to the North American version, which is currently the only one being delivered." They are supposed to start building for International markets soon, thus these updates for that market.
It's not official words, just a suspicion from Electrek.

Upvote 0
Not good. What prevents retrofit? Is it a software issue?
I believe it was a software lock on Tesla's end... I stand corrected, they did allow retrofits on specific configurations of the 3 but it had to be done by the SC... Simply swapping out the part yourself is what doesn't work across the board.

Reactions: gbailey
Upvote 0
Recent announcements seem to refute my speculation that these features would only be for foreign markets first. Apparently coming to US before foreign markets. This is excellent! I wish I could get better headlights. Matrix headlights would be awesome. Hopefully a retrofit package will be possible.

Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0