Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S - Input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I have decided that I am going to replace my current S90D with the new non-plaid S. I’ve written this before about how I’ve never loved a car like this one (at the same time having more reliability problems than any other car I have ever owned). Even though I am increasingly disgusted by the antics of Musk, I still believe in the car and the mission which is why I want to get a new one. I don’t see any true viable options (I love the Lucid but they have a major infrastructure problem which won’t work for me because I do drive long distances to the States quite often).

Any thoughts or ideas on what I should be looking for, avoiding, adding or subtracting? For example…I had NO plans on paying $19,500 for FSD, but I did want enchanced AP. Also… since I would like to keep this car for 6-8 years, is an extended warranty worth it? I have winter tires and rims from my current vehicle that have less than 20k/km on them….will they fit the new one? I would appreciate any input.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Hi. I recently traded my 2019 P100D for a used 2022 S LR. If you're willing to buy used, you can avoid the luxury tax and get a reasonably good deal. I bought from a dealer in Quebec; the market for used Teslas is more robust in that province, and I'd recommend expanding your search to include it. My car came with winters and ppf - I would have purchased both, so I was happy to have the previous owner pay for them. I bought a car with FSD installed, not because I will use it (I don't understand the appeal - I love driving), but because I think the car will hold its value better with FSD.

Your rims and tires should fit the refresh S in a square setup (rather than staggered), which is supposed to be better for winter driving anyway.

I love the new model - many upgrades from the earlier S, and it's a lovely car to look at. Not everything is better, however. I miss each and every one of the stalks! I don't mind the yoke, but I do not like the capacitative buttons (the horn button, in particular, is absurd).

I think even on the 2021+ cars there have already been a few changes to the lights and charge port. But I guess thats the thing with Tesla, its both a positive and negative that they do continual evolution. If you buy new you get the latest, but it will be slightly out of date by lext week.

One other change that might be relevant if you're an car gamer is the Steam games thing requires the MCU with more memory. More than that is beyond my knowledge but might prompt a more knowledgable reply or something to investigate if it bothers you. The rear screens also changed in size. Of course if you're buying new, none of this should be an issue. There's also a fair amount of inventory aound so you shouldn't need to wait either.

Reactions: Struja
Hi. I recently traded my 2019 P100D for a used 2022 S LR. If you're willing to buy used, you can avoid the luxury tax and get a reasonably good deal. I bought from a dealer in Quebec; the market for used Teslas is more robust in that province, and I'd recommend expanding your search to include it. My car came with winters and ppf - I would have purchased both, so I was happy to have the previous owner pay for them. I bought a car with FSD installed, not because I will use it (I don't understand the appeal - I love driving), but because I think the car will hold its value better with FSD.

Your rims and tires should fit the refresh S in a square setup (rather than staggered), which is supposed to be better for winter driving anyway.

I love the new model - many upgrades from the earlier S, and it's a lovely car to look at. Not everything is better, however. I miss each and every one of the stalks! I don't mind the yoke, but I do not like the capacitative buttons (the horn button, in particular, is absurd).
Question about the Luxury tax…are all used vehicles exempt, even if they exceed 100k? Also…what happens if my new vehicle is 137k and Tesla buys my existing car (let’s say for 50k), can that get me under the luxury tax?

Question about the Luxury tax…are all used vehicles exempt, even if they exceed 100k? Also…what happens if my new vehicle is 137k and Tesla buys my existing car (let’s say for 50k), can that get me under the luxury tax?
From what I understand, the luxury tax does not apply if the vehicle has been previously registered (i.e., licensed) in any province, even if the price of the car exceeds $100K. So a $137K used Model S will not attract the luxury tax if it has been previously registered, regardless of any trade. Your trade will reduce the HST payable, of course.

Reactions: SilverGS
I bought my MSLR with the EAP. The only real benefit to having EAP is the auto lane change feature which is really good. I rarely use Summon and the few times I tried using it to pull the car out of my garage it would not activate. And the navigate on AP which comes with EAP is a useless system as it’s very nerve wrecking to drive with.

So unless you want the Auto Lane Change the standard AP is plenty and the extra $8000 for EAP might not be worth it.

For me personally the single thing that has not convinced me with this car is the yoke. I don’t enjoy driving this car because of the yoke.
If I decide to keep it after next year (when the R1S I am waiting for should become available), I will consider putting an after market steering wheel, but can’t justify spending the 1500 - 2000 for an aftermarket steering.