Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S interior - finally! (from the Q4 report)

Better interior?

• You bet! When can I get one??

• Meh, I can take it or leave it.

• Ugh! Gimme S circa 2012!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...ion=inline;filename="TSLA-Q4-2020-Update.pdf"

upload_2021-1-27_17-3-51.png

That steering wheel surely won't make it into production. Turning the wheel is hard when the wheel is a rectangle. The steering photo is fine for a race track, not a street vehicle. I think it is great if those door pockets make it into production, as there is all that wasted space at the bottom of the current interior doors.

I wish they would get rid of the awful centre console in the front (I like the one in the back). It's it one thing I really dislike about the X compared to the 2013 S. It takes up so much usable space. The rest is great. (Didn't select any choices because none match my thoughts).

Classic Tesla. 90% of it is amazing - seats, screens, computer, etc. And then they hit you with a steering wheel that nobody wants to use. And I'm not just talking about the shape, anyone who has had a car with touch sensitive buttons knows using them for the horn and the turn signals is going to be terrible.
Isn’t the horn where it usually is in the center of the steering wheel, yoke, or whatever you call it now.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Isn’t the horn where it usually is in the center of the steering wheel, yoke, or whatever you call it now.
That's how I see it yeah. I think integrating the blinker with the wheel is a good move.
Not sure I love the shape of the wheel but I like everything else.
I'm just wondering if the Plaid S+ will have any additional tweaks to the exterior.
Also the white interior looks really good in these renders.. I reserved Plaid with cream when you were first allowed to do so but this has me thinking.
Also I'm curious how they'll handle the new wheel options... I originally reserved a Plaid S with 21" Turbine watchamacallits but those aren't offered on Plaid+ now.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
About the steering wheel, I would not be surprised that full deflection of the wheel varies with speed - a bit like fly-by-wire airplanes flight controls are proportional to roll or pitch acceleration. It is a bit like deflecting 5 degrees to the left at 30 mph gets you naturally proportional lateral acceleration as deflecting it 5 degrees at 100 mph.

I might be wrong but if I am guessing correctly, you will never need to cross your arms in a parking lot and you will get used to it in a matter of seconds and never look back. (have flown F-16 and Cessna 172 to relate)

That's how I see it yeah. I think integrating the blinker with the wheel is a good move.
Not sure I love the shape of the wheel but I like everything else.
I'm just wondering if the Plaid S+ will have any additional tweaks to the exterior.
Also the white interior looks really good in these renders.. I reserved Plaid with cream when you were first allowed to do so but this has me thinking.
Also I'm curious how they'll handle the new wheel options... I originally reserved a Plaid S with 21" Turbine watchamacallits but those aren't offered on Plaid+ now.
Close up look at the yoke, and the horn is a touch sensitive button. Not good

About the steering wheel, I would not be surprised that full deflection of the wheel varies with speed - a bit like fly-by-wire airplanes flight controls are proportional to roll or pitch acceleration. It is a bit like deflecting 5 degrees to the left at 30 mph gets you naturally proportional lateral acceleration as deflecting it 5 degrees at 100 mph.

I might be wrong but if I am guessing correctly, you will never need to cross your arms in a parking lot and you will get used to it in a matter of seconds and never look back. (have flown F-16 and Cessna 172 to relate)

Yes, they could learn much from aviation.

When do I get my HUD?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Classic Tesla. 90% of it is amazing - seats, screens, computer, etc. And then they hit you with a steering wheel that nobody wants to use. And I'm not just talking about the shape, anyone who has had a car with touch sensitive buttons knows using them for the horn and the turn signals is going to be terrible.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Love absolutely everything except the steering wheel.

Also - I thought steering wheels like this were illegal? Why you see it on concept cars but never in production.

That steering wheel surely won't make it into production. Turning the wheel is hard when the wheel is a rectangle. The steering photo is fine for a race track, not a street vehicle. I think it is great if those door pockets make it into production, as there is all that wasted space at the bottom of the current interior doors.
Sure it will. Elon has a thing about car companies revealing a product then changing significant features when it goes into production. He won't let that happen here. Besides when the Model 3 15" monitor was revealed the amount of negative feedback was staggering because they didn't like change. Once you drive a M3 or MY you realize how well it works. My guess is Tesla has some cool features that makes the steering wheel easy to use.

I want the steering wheel, I think it seems awesome.
Teslas are ment for tech people really. Im a gamer and if I can play any kindof game using keyboard, xbox controller, iphone-unameit then surely I can get used to liking to drive with this yoke. im sure it will be confusing for a few days but then it will be fine, maybe even better