Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model s LR or Plaid in reverse, strange noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a long range or plaid have a strange sound coming from the front the moment you put it in reverse? As the car accelerates in reverse it speeds up. I thought it was the speaker up front, but its not. Its not a bad sound, kinda sounds like a spaceship... Wondering if others have this? Could be the new motors.

For me, the stereotypical spaceship sound happens in reverse and assumed it was speaker as it’s same sound as our Y and 3…but…now I’ll check today and if I get same result as you, will report back, here.

I DO have an unrelated question on the S Refresh: I have Tesla’s USB that IS in the glovebox.

I have selected Sentry to ON but see no icons (can’t seem to access Sentry or Dashcam files).

They are -not- where they normally appear and I don’t see icons for it at the bottom of the screen anywhere either.

Is your Dashcam and Sentry functioning normally and those icons (to view the video files) are they in the same place? Weird.

For me, the stereotypical spaceship sound happens in reverse and assumed it was speaker as it’s same sound as our Y and 3…but…now I’ll check today and if I get same result as you, will report back, here.

I DO have an unrelated question on the S Refresh: I have Tesla’s USB that IS in the glovebox.

I have selected Sentry to ON but see no icons (can’t seem to access Sentry or Dashcam files).

They are -not- where they normally appear and I don’t see icons for it at the bottom of the screen anywhere either.

Is your Dashcam and Sentry functioning normally and those icons (to view the video files) are they in the same place? Weird.
Seems to be forgotten on the software version that is currently installed. I heard people are getting dash cam viewer up by using the voice command.

Reactions: FunSecured
Anyone with a long range or plaid have a strange sound coming from the front the moment you put it in reverse? As the car accelerates in reverse it speeds up. I thought it was the speaker up front, but its not. Its not a bad sound, kinda sounds like a spaceship... Wondering if others have this? Could be the new motors.
It is the pedestrian warning system speaker

Sentury mode works, but I cant view clips. I'll try the voice activation way. I also cant use my phone as a key, I'm on android. Iphone seems to work.

OK yeah, found another video its the UFO sound. Funny thing is I cant change it, even if I set the summon sound to something else. Even stranger is there is not even this sound listed in the dropdown. Oh well, at least its not an issue with motors.

I bought an electric car (among other reasons) because they are quiet. I don't like the various "pedestrian warning systems". If pedestrians would pay attention, instead of burying their head in their phones, we wouldn't need these ridiculous Government mandates.

Reactions: chenner
Hmm. Combine the whisper quiet with immediate acceleration means it’s easy to catch pedestrians off guard like in a parking lot, even if they are paying reasonable attention to surroundings. I like quiet too but I see how a noise maker is useful.

Yes I have the same sound, almost like a star trek-like hum before jumping into warp. I thought it may be a warning type sound for pedestrians, but it's not super loud, so...